Silversea Completes Transformation of Silver Cloud Into Expedition Cruise Ship

LauraS

Echo the above, thanks for the Update Canrad and a big relief the problems getting to port and then leaving were all weather related.

Hopefully we can be treated with some great "Blue" Cloud photos - especially with plenty of ice in the background.

Good morning! We have a writer onboard Silver Cloud right now, so stay tuned for a blog coming next week, with other stories coming in the weeks to follow. She emailed me the following:

Just an FYI, we sailed out of BA a day late due to stormsin the Falkland Islands and surrounding area. We finally set sail 2:30 pm yesterday and have to deviateour schedule. No Stanley in the Falklands as the storms are outrageously bad.We’re going to spend two days instead of one in Patagonia and then go throughthe Drake as most ships do sailing from Ushuaia. Disappointing but not unusual.It’s still early in the season.

BTW, Brad [silversea PR rep] told me some 60% of ships promising theFalklands never make it due to weather. [This is true -- I was told similar when visiting the Falklands in 2006, also with Silversea. We made it though!]

I must say, the expedition team leader handled it well.Showed us weather charts and they were darn scary. We’re still supposed to get40 to 45 knots wind today. Should be interesting!

The ship is doing well considering it’s just out of drydock. Were some issues in suites and stuff but corrected quickly. Crew isexcellent; really accommodating. A couple rooms like Tor’s Observation Loungeand Photo Studio not open yet, but they will be soon.

Good morning! We have a writer onboard Silver Cloud right now, so stay tuned for a blog coming next week, with other stories coming in the weeks to follow. She emailed me the following:

Just an FYI, we sailed out of BA a day late due to stormsin the Falkland Islands and surrounding area. We finally set sail 2:30 pm yesterday and have to deviateour schedule. No Stanley in the Falklands as the storms are outrageously bad.We’re going to spend two days instead of one in Patagonia and then go throughthe Drake as most ships do sailing from Ushuaia. Disappointing but not unusual.It’s still early in the season.

BTW, Brad [silversea PR rep] told me some 60% of ships promising theFalklands never make it due to weather. [This is true -- I was told similar when visiting the Falklands in 2006, also with Silversea. We made it though!]

I must say, the expedition team leader handled it well.Showed us weather charts and they were darn scary. We’re still supposed to get40 to 45 knots wind today. Should be interesting!

The ship is doing well considering it’s just out of drydock. Were some issues in suites and stuff but corrected quickly. Crew isexcellent; really accommodating. A couple rooms like Tor’s Observation Loungeand Photo Studio not open yet, but they will be soon.

Thank you for the update Erica! Look forward to reading the blog. Hope you get through those storms okay!