Taro Elephant Safari Park in Bali?

Croptop

I'm cruising on the Sapphire Princess in January and one of the excursions being offered in Bali is a day at the Taro Elephant Safari Park for $160. I'm seriously considering signing up for this as it'll probably be one of my only chances to see and interact with elephants close up. Does anyone have any experience with this excursion? Is it worthwhile or am I going to be disappointed (for example, are the elephants well cared for? It would really bother me to be taking part in an excursion that was abusing animals).

It was in 2010 I went to the Elephant Safari park in Bali. I'm assuming it must be the same place as you don't usually get elephant safaris!

If it is, it was the highlight of our 18 days on the Island.

You need to book a time slot (to ride) and I think there were different lengths... We went for the longest time and were treated to a ride on the elephant through the park where Rhinos and other large creatures roam. Elephants are wide.... I was walking funny after lol.... But seriously, as you say, you won't get that sort of opportunity!

There is a place you can feed a mother and baby bananas and "pet" them. They are awesome beasts!

On top of this, we were able to have photos taken with a young orangutan and tiger cub (not together lol). Great souvenirs to bring home. They were cheap too... And you are allowed to use your own camera too.

Book it...... It will be different to what you might be used to in zoo parks, but I'd visit again and highly recommend.

We visited the park in around 2012 I think it was. We had been to Bali heaps of times on private trips but had never been to the park so when we were there for only the day on a cruise ship we decided to check it out. We had already seen a documentary regarding the rescuing of the elephants from poor conditions in Sumatra so we were interested to see the outcome.

In our experience the elephants were very well cared for and were rested after providing a couple of rides. The standard of the park was very high when we were there so I don't think you are likely to have any concerns in that regard.

Enjoy your day if you decide to go.

PS I don't recall seeing any other animals there such as mentioned above but perhaps there were some in another part of the park.

Edited by bronte2
Adding comment