Which room to choose on Azura?

Freeman3030

Hi all,

My partner and I are getting married onboard the Azura in May 2019. We've reserved our wedding slot which is being help until Monday. This allows us to book at some point this weekend.

We've only been on one cruise (on the Azura in January - inside room) we loved it, hence why we're doing it again for our wedding). Whilst we were perfectly happy with an inside room, we did have a bit of envy when we saw the cleaners in the outside rooms as they were filled with natural light. So we've decided to select an outside room for our wedding cruise.

We wont spend an awful lot of time in our room, but a window will be a nice addition.

Our options are:

*LF Outside P deck £2,718

*LC Outside P deck £2,798

*LE Outside E deck £2,798

*LB Outside E deck £2,898

What does LF, LC, LE and LB stand for? We would quite like a quiet location but in January we were at the very front of the ship and it was silent... but a very long walk to the midship!

Also, do any of these rooms NOT have the bunk beds on the side of the wall? They were annoying and I found them to be in the way a bit.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

The cabin codes LF, LC, LE and LB are explained as follows; the "L" tells you it is an outside, ocean view cabin where the view is NOT obstructed. The second letter tells you how good they are considered (mainly on where they are located) by the cruise line A is best then B then C and so on. Not all letters will necessarily be used. The two letters together give you what is technically called a "Grade". The cruise lines assess grades on how good they consider a cabin to be in comparative terms to the same cabin in another location.

Cabins on P deck (deck 5) are as low as you can stay on and cabins on E deck (deck 8) are three decks higher. If you get seasick at all a midships cabin will move about less in heavy seas and cabins at extreme ends of the ship will move about significantly more if you are prone to seasickness. Basically the midships cabins are typically more expensive because on average you are nearer to where you want to go, restaurant, theatre etc. I like to be well aft as the places I typically go to are aft and I do not get seasick so top decks are fine for me. P deck well forward could be noisy into ports particularly if it is a tender port where they drop the anchor at 5am other than that it's just the bow thrusters being used to swing the front (bow) in to berth (park the ship). How high/Low were you in January?

If you do not get sea sick and are not 100% convinced the chosen cabin you book is absolutely ideal for you select "Yes to free upgrades" and if you use a travel agent try and get them to remind P&O that you are on a wedding/honeymoon situation. They might get you free upgraded into a balcony situation but it will likely be an unpopular one to most peoples choice worst case scenario on upgrades is that you are moved from a "low grade outside cabin" to a slightly higher graded outside cabin..

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Hi John,

Thank you for the comprehensive reply. You've really helped to clarify a lot with regards to the rooms. In January we stayed on Deck 8 in room E104 (it was a room above the Playhouse I believe) we don't suffer from sea sickness - well we didn't earlier in the year. So I would hope to be able to sleep anywhere.

Just on a side note. We went on a saver fare as we booked really late, but as were booking so early I think it's called a select fare. Which allows us to choose our meal time or to select freedom dining. We've got a few family members joining us, if we all select freedom dining, is it likely that we can turn up to the restaurant together and eat as one group? Also will we be able to choose to all eat in the same restaurant or are we dictated to by P&O? I can't remember, but in January I think we were in the peninsula restaurant (but can't remember)

Many thanks

There are two types of upgrade options and you need to ensure that you select the one that says ‘Upgrade only if to a different type of cabin’. That way, you won’t get moved to a different outside cabin (which is worthless), but if you are lucky enough to get an upgrade it will be to a balcony cabin - so a ‘proper’ upgrade.

Regarding your dining query, you need to ensure that you all opt for ‘Freedom Dining’ and then, once you have all booked, ask for the bookings to be linked. Then you will all be allocated the same restaurant and can always dine together at a time to suit, which can vary by day depending on your mood or what you have been doing etc

Our options are:

*LF Outside P deck £2,718

*LC Outside P deck £2,798

*LE Outside E deck £2,798

*LB Outside E deck £2,898

We were upgraded from an inside on Azura's Riviera deck (so quite high up) to an outside on P deck and loved it. The cabin was just off the Atrium, but very quiet. There was occasionally the sound of music being played in the Atrium for evening dances but this finished between 11 and 12 pm. It was very convenient for disembarking in port because we were either on, or one deck above the gangway deck, a couple of decks up to the main dining and entertainment venues and lifts straight up to the Lido deck. The sound of waves against the hull was noticeable a couple of times when we had choppy seas. The only time it was really noisy was when docking in Southampton, with the noise of luggage being offloaded, equipment in use, etc. from about 5 am. Still we had to be out of the room by 8, so it wasn't the end of the world.

The outside cabins on P deck are very nice with plenty of light; I had one for sole use a few years ago (upgraded from a single) and really liked it. They are a slightly higher grade so may be closer to midships therefore more stable, I was in a midships one and it was fine even in a force 10 gale.

Freeman3039

Firstly, congratulations. As it is a two week med cruise I would save an extra £300 (only £2 extra a week from now until May 2019, price of one coffee !!!!!) if possible and get a decent balcony cabin for £3098 on deck b.

You wouldn't regret it and having a balcony for two weeks would be well worth the extra money in my opinion.

Treat yourselves, I would.

Dave

Freeman3039

Firstly, congratulations. As it is a two week med cruise I would save an extra £300 (only £2 extra a week from now until May 2019, price of one coffee !!!!!) if possible and get a decent balcony cabin for £3098 on deck b.

You wouldn't regret it and having a balcony for two weeks would be well worth the extra money in my opinion.

Treat yourselves, I would.

Dave

Although fair advice the wedding itself will add £1500 to the price for starters so it may be that the topic starter is working to a budget with the expense of the wedding factored in.

After the wedding I presume he will change his username to takenman ?