Opinions on cruises to Antarctica

elegantexplorer

We are exploring options for a Dec 2019 cruise around the horn and Antarctica. Leaning toward Seabourn. Any information/experiences/ opinions would be appreciated. Thx.

Antarctica is in my top 3 favorite places visited. Remote and beautiful, it is unlike any place I have ever been. Much of its attraction for me was what was not there - no stores, no tour buses, no music on land, etc.

For me, walking on the Antarctic continent is to imagine what the world was like when it was new. The zodiac rides were often thrilling, and a few rimes soaking, the passenger complement was well-traveled, erudite and conservation-minded, and the onboard lecturers were quite good. Also, our time in Buenos Aires and Terra del Fuego was enjoyable as we ventured on our own at a leisurely pace.

ANY cruise line that calls on Port Stanley..... Whole we loved Antarctica, the day in the Falklands turned our to be the high point. NOT "touristy", NO tourist stores, friendly people, and oh my if you get the opportunity to go out to Volunteer Point (It will turn out to be one of the most memorable days of your life)

So here is my take on Antarctica. Many cruise ships (especially larger vessels) do what they call "Antarctica Cruises" which simply cruise by the continent without ever letting their passenger have the option of going ashore. It would be like cruising past Europe and saying you were in Europe. There are other smaller ship lines (i.e. Hurtigruten, Ponent, etc) that use smaller vessels and are permitted to land their passengers ashore in various Antarctic areas so they can actually set foot on the continent, interact with some of the wildlife, etc. We think the latter cruises are great...and the former leave much to be desired. I am not familiar with the Seabourn itinerary...but if they are going to carry Zodiacs and take passengers ashore that would be our style.

Hank

We are exploring options for a Dec 2019 cruise around the horn and Antarctica. Leaning toward Seabourn. Any information/experiences/ opinions would be appreciated. Thx.

Does Seabourn do landings. If it doesn't, don't take it. BTW - what does Seabourn offer that the other less expensive trips through or hopefully to Antarctica do not offer.

DON

We were on the third cruise to Antarctica with Seabourn on the Quest

Best trip we have ever done. One really has to go to understand Antarctica.

There is a good link here

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2569912

If you really want to experience Antarctica, I would suggest you go via an expedition ship, not a cruise line. I went back in the early 90's with Abercrombie and Kent and it was a trip of a lifetime. There was a historian, marine biologist and glaciologist on board the ship, in addition to their knowledgable staff. We had zodiac landings and were fortunate to be able to go to Palmer research station to drop off a staff member and while there we toured the station and were able to talk with the personnel there. During our cruise we went the furthest south that any passenger ship had gone. We even swam in the antarctic ocean, with all the brave getting certificates.

I have not been their yet, but considering Antarctica in 2020 - I have also been looking at Hurtigruten.

https://global.hurtigruten.com/destinations/antarctica/

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our trip was on Hurtigruten and was excellent. A good combination of landings and a bit more on ship comfort than the expedition trips. The only negative is that you are only allowed to put 100 people on land at a time so we had to take turns at each stop. We did an Antarctica and the Chilean fjords. I do not think that they are doing that itinerary any longer.

I am off to South Georgia Island and the Falklands on the Ocean Adventurer in November. Can't wait.

DON

That’s fantastic! I hope someday our paths cross.

Happy Travelling, Angel. And thank you.

You are most welcome and it would be lovely to cross paths.

If you make it to Antarctica, please post what you thought of the experience. I agree with Hlitner - doing the landings is an integral part of the Antarctic experience and one of the highlights of my life. That despite falling and thinking I had broken my ankle there. That made for a great story during a follow-up x-ray with my doctor once home!

Books about Antarctica I loved:

Terra Incognita: Travels in Antarctica by Sara Wheeler

The Endurance by Caroline Alexander

The South Pole: Complete and Unabridged with Illustrations, Charts, Maps and Appendices by Roald Amundsen

A wonderful documentary:

A Year on Ice by Anthony Powell

Happy trails and blue skies to you!

Edited by Bookish Angel

We are going on one of the "drive by" cruises next year that does not have zodiac landings on the continent. I realize that we will be missing out and that the cruise that we are taking is inferior. But here's the thing--our cruise will cost about $2K per person, and the expedition type cruises cost about 10K per person.

We just don't feel like we can justify spending 20K on a two-week vacation. I envy those of you for whom price is no object and if you have the money, go for it!

We are going on one of the "drive by" cruises next year that does not have zodiac landings on the continent. I realize that we will be missing out and that the cruise that we are taking is inferior. But here's the thing--our cruise will cost about $2K per person, and the expedition type cruises cost about 10K per person.

We just don't feel like we can justify spending 20K on a two-week vacation. I envy those of you for whom price is no object and if you have the money, go for it!

I know how you feel...this is going to be a hard choice for myself too...since it'll be a "once-in-a-lifetime" cruise...I'll have to think hard if I would be willing to spend a chunk of my life savings on it...

In the "money is no object, department"...... https://crystalexpeditioncruises.com/itineraries/hobart-to-christchurch-yen210106-22/

We have done two Antarctica "cruise by's" on Crystal, one expedition with zodiac landings on the Marco Polo and one with landings on Seabourn in their first season. If you are only going to do it once and can afford it, do it with landings, and do it on Seabourn. Experience the deck party with caviar and champagne after the last landing. Or camp out on the continent with OceanWide Expeditions. (We have "ice fever" and OceanWide is our next adventure.) Watch youtube videos of the various possibilities. Or watch this one. Scroll down to to the video. And no, not all itineraries have you doing ice climbing or camping out. There is no wrong choice, or best choice. There is only "your" choice that balances experience, itinerary, and price.

The expedition teams from all the ships know each other and communicate with each other. And they will switch contracts from one line to another. They are all fantastic.

The thing is, you must do your own research and not just rely on the opinions here. Most people promote their own personal choice, when there are many options out there.