having your luggage wrapped in plastic - any experience?

compozer

Sorry, not sure what the correct term is for this. Last week one piece of our hard sided luggage must have been dropped from the plane or run over. It has a crack the length of it and there is a crack 3/4 of the way around one of the wheels. It really looks like it fell and landed on the corner. Who knows???

It is maddening because it was part of a new three piece set and an unusual blue color. I can"t find anything in that color and I hate to taking unmatched pieces. I purchased a green fabric tumi a couple years ago but it was so soiled after the first trip that I saved it for road trip - which we really don't do anymore.

I found two nice burgundy fabric pieces but am concerned about them being soiled. So I was wondering if I should get them wrapped for the flights. Anyone use that service?? Guess I am wondering what happens if the TSA needs to check your luggage??? I doubt they would have it redone so is it a waste of money??

Thanks

Another frustrating thing is that I started using the extra straps around my luggage - bright color for another way to identify ours on the conveyor belt. But they have been unsnapped when they arrive. I have double checked them and there is nothing wrong with the buckle. what is up with that?

not used the plastic wrap

just wonder if you contact the manufacturer of your set if they could sell you one to match the others?

Maybe those straps catch on the conveyor or other things when they load/unload them

I have only seen "plastic wrap" offered on international flights to specific countries, usually Cuba. Its definitely not something offered at every airport. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money. With regards to straps, you should detach them before you turn your bags in, and then reattach them after you collect them.

But then again, traveling with mismatched luggage has never been a concern of mine. And I have accepted that small cracks and some soiling are bound to happen.

I've never used the service but always regarded the wrapping service offered at most major airports as a precaution against tampering, not against potential scuffs etc.

To make it easy to identify our checked luggage on the carousel we tie a bright strip of fabric to the handles, never had a problem of any going missing. The way baggage passes through conveyors and handlers I can understand a buckle accidentally clicking open.

JB :)

I have heard (but can't verify for certain) but was making conversation with an employee at the airport while he was on break after he wrapped someone's bag and I asked him, 'What happens IF (Goodness forbid) TSA decided they need to cut the plastic open so they can inspect your bag ?' He said they ( he didn't said WHO 'they' were,) but I guess he meant TSA ?? Wil have the bag rewrapped and I'm assuming at their expense. I think plastic shrink wrap would be a good thing, just in case the bag is either left out in the rain OR dropped into the water at the port.

As to baggage problems. I worked for almost thirty years for a major carrier, twenty years as a baggage handler, 2 years on the domestic ramp, then eighteen in international bagroom. And did see many things.:eek: The most common mistake a lot of men make is thinking suit/garment bags are suitcases and will TRY to stuff it as full as possible !! You can't put forty pounds of mud in a twenty pound sack. I have seen many of them EXPLODE because they fell out the plastic tub then off the belt and into the machinery. I can't speak for ALL baggage handlers, of course, but most TRY to take it easy with bags. We were always told,' Treat every bag the way you'd want YOUR bag treated'.

Mac

not used the plastic wrap

just wonder if you contact the manufacturer of your set if they could sell you one to match the others?

Maybe those straps catch on the conveyor or other things when they load/unload them

I tried that. It is a discontinued color.

thanks

I have only seen "plastic wrap" offered on international flights to specific countries, usually Cuba. Its definitely not something offered at every airport. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money. With regards to straps, you should detach them before you turn your bags in, and then reattach them after you collect them.

But then again, traveling with mismatched luggage has never been a concern of mine. And I have accepted that small cracks and some soiling are bound to happen.

I thought the purpose of those straps were to keep the bag together just in the chance that the bag comes open. Does not seem to do any service if you take them off when you get to the airport checkin.

I guess I just like to have things matching.

And this was not a small crack - 25 inches long is a large crack. And having the wheel cracked on three sides of it, is a big deal to me. Useless bag now.

My husband was just wrapping some wood together with a roll of 5 inch plastic. Wonder if you could do it yourself with that.???

thanks for the suggestions.

I thought the purpose of those straps were to keep the bag together just in the chance that the bag comes open. Does not seem to do any service if you take them off when you get to the airport checkin.

And this was not a small crack - 25 inches long is a large crack. And having the wheel cracked on three sides of it, is a big deal to me. Useless bag now.

My husband was just wrapping some wood together with a roll of 5 inch plastic. Wonder if you could do it yourself with that.???

I always pack a roll of clingfilm (Saran wrap) in my case and use it to wrap my bag before the return flight.

We never used the plastic wrap, saw it in the Miami airport. Many flights there go to Central and South America. Maybe passengers are afraid of having the suitcase standing outside in torrential tropical rains. They are outside in most cruise ports and on their way from the airport terminal to the plane.

We never had the strap buckle open in many trips. Make sure the buckle is underneath the side handle.

Only two of our suitcases match, no problem whatsoever. Don't let scuff marks bother you, they mark you as a frequent traveler. :cool:

If I read the OP correctly, the primary reason for considering plastic wrap is to keep the bags clean. My favorite piece of luggage was a Hartmann bag (from way back when Hartmann was a great line of luggage). It was banged around on flights around the world, lost (for several weeks) in Africa, scraped and scratched and smudged. When it finally couldn't hold together, I sadly replaced it. Sadly because it was a reminder of wonderful journeys and adventures. A great piece of luggage can survive the abuse of travel, and the smudges are a badge of adventure.

I once had a bag that got cracked liked that. I brought it straight to the airline baggage office, before leaving the airport. They replaced it immediately.

We never used the plastic wrap, saw it in the Miami airport. Many flights there go to Central and South America. Maybe passengers are afraid of having the suitcase standing outside in torrential tropical rains. They are outside in most cruise ports and on their way from the airport terminal to the plane.

We never had the strap buckle open in many trips. Make sure the buckle is underneath the side handle.

Only two of our suitcases match, no problem whatsoever. Don't let scuff marks bother you, they mark you as a frequent traveler. :cool:

I always put it under the side handle. We were wondering if some of the handlers used the side handle and that is why it unsnapped.

Water is another reason I wanted to wrap my fabric cases. Our luggage was left on the tarmac during a thunderstorm in Philly. They wouldn't let us off the plane for 45 minutes during the storm and the staff was not allowed on the tarmac. What a mess - everything was wet - it was a winter vacation in NYC - sweaters, sport jacket - I was not happy. And the worst part was that we were delayed and they cancelled our connecting flight AND did not give us our luggage that night to go to the hotel. So clothes were sitting wet in the suitcase for almost 18 hours.

We had ours wrapped on the way back from Australia connecting in Singapore. It cost about £8 per bag. Due to the Shappelle Corby case most Aussie ones have them,

The main reason was my husband's zip on his casehad a tooth out of whack and we needed it securing especially going through Asia. His luggage is a large 29" blue hardcase spinner. I had mine done because it looked like a good idea and mine is the same size but soft.

They cut the wheels and handles out or leave them wrapped if you wish. The wrap is your general hard shrink wrap for industrial purposes.

As far as protecting your case it will certainly do that for the elements and dirt but it wont protect against large bumps as far as cracking a suitcase goes. We saw the slight marks of where ours had been bumped and tugged from the wrapping.

I tried that. It is a discontinued color.

thanks

eBay?

I was going to suggest a custom made canvas cover for it, but not sure that would solve the water concern...unless canvas was treated. Zip or snap on, thus still accessible by TSA. Seems Walmart has some dust and damp covers, but also google sources for canvas covers.

Edited by mef_57
additional information

you can also buy luggage covers that would protect against scratches some are waterproof

https://www.amazon.ca/Myosotis510-Travel-Luggage-Protector-Suitcase/dp/B01M6CQ44W/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_198_lp_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=MAVPBM7TR2JKRAMQ0679

Did you take your bag to desk in the baggage claim area to report the damage??

I travel all over. Never had anything wrapped. Over 140 countries so far. And no issues.

And BTW, the wrapping is NOT water tight, as they cut holes for the handles and wheels.

If you are worried about water, get hard sided, gasketed luggage. Samsonite F'lite is one.

When I buy luggage, I look for the most durable, true hardside (with latches, not zippers), and a TSA lock. I could care less what scratches they endure, as they are designed to take the abuse, and protect what is inside. I would not waste time or expense covering them in wrap, as the TSA may open for inspection, and I don't believe they will re-wrap them.

Having expensive looking luggage, also could invite theft, so another reason to not use the 'luxury' brands...JHMO

Having expensive looking luggage, also could invite theft, so another reason to not use the 'luxury' brands...JHMO

That is so true. I forget the brand but when I see someone with it, I always think if they can afford that luggage, they must have some expensive items inside. And then I wonder why they are not flying in their private plane:D:D:D

Slightly off topic but I have come to the conclusion that TSA locks should not be the only way to secure your luggage.

They are easily breakable for someone to go in or put something in your bag.

I have been using them for years with no problems but intend to buy some serialised number zip ties to prove whether it is has been tampered with or not. Wrap also does this.

The main reason we wrapped our luggage in Asia/Oz was how that route is known for certain behaviour and my husband's slightly broken bag. We live in rainy UK and are not worried about rain getting to our bags but if that is a worry then the wrap would certainly protect it...although if you are one of the very unlucky cruisers to have your luggage go into the ocean at port it would do diddly squat.