Safety In Sydney

MOYSHA

We will be spending a few days in Sydney before our cruise.

I haven't seen anything posted anywhere about safety (crime) in areas of Syney during the daytime or evening hours. Should we be concerned walking the streets

We will be spending a few days in Sydney before our cruise.

I haven't seen anything posted anywhere about safety (crime) in areas of Syney during the daytime or evening hours. Should we be concerned walking the streets

No more so than in any other big city.

I am a senior female walker who feels very safe walking the streets and beaches of Sydney.

I attend theatre/art gallery at night and make my way home via public transport.

However, as a visitor, I walk confidently, like a local rather than a tourist, and make sure there are other people around, as I do in London and New York.

MM Downunder has got it right - try not to look too much like a tourist. I think relatively speaking, Sydney is probably safer than most large European cities. But petty criminals tend to prey on tourists. There are always plenty of people on the streets at night in the city plus there are plenty of cops around as well.

I think being on a train in the suburbs at night is probably one of the riskier things you could do.

Okay, I have to say it (feel my love here! :p )!

To all the American tourists... please don't wear bumbags (you guys call them Fanny packs, but a fanny to an Aussie is the FRONT part of a woman, not the back part....anyhow, no more anatomy lessons). This is the most common way tourists stand out!

Just remember to act with confidence and don't do stupid things. If you travel by train at night into the burbs (I personally wouldn't travel past 10pm at night on the trains....) travel in the car with the guard. It is seen with the blue light over the door.

Mark.

Archived