$12 Drinks? No thanks!

I'm half thinking of buying the premium drinks package for our Allure cruise in October... Kind of afraid they'll increase the price again if I wait. Presume I could cancel it again if I change my mind in the future!

We just purchased our s in case the price goes up. I was told by the rep on the phone that we could cancel it if we changed our minds.

I'm in NYC right now and had a cocktail at dinner at the hotel restaurant, $19 plus 18% gratuity

I had an $18 martini in NYC years ago. Low end Merlot was $12 about a month ago at Patsy's. But who can afford to spend a week in NYC?

I'm half thinking of buying the premium drinks package for our Allure cruise in October... Kind of afraid they'll increase the price again if I wait. Presume I could cancel it again if I change my mind in the future!

We bought it just to avoid the sinking feeling you get when you sign the $30 bar tab for two drinks. We paid it. It's over. No worries about a huge bill at the end of our cruise.

And remember you get bottled water and soda. Oh and a nifty souvenir soda cup too.

I figure at the very lest we will break even.

We bought it just to avoid the sinking feeling you get when you sign the $30 bar tab for two drinks. We paid it. It's over. No worries about a huge bill at the end of our cruise.

And remember you get bottled water and soda. Oh and a nifty souvenir soda cup too.

I figure at the very lest we will break even.

The euro/dollar exchange rate at the moment is absolutely awful unfortunately! €400 per person per week for the premium package 😁 Debating if I could drink enough to break even at all!!! Plus with the limited cocktail menus at the moment, I'm afraid they won't make me my favorite drinks! Think I'll have to toss a coin to help me decide! Lol

I'm in NYC right now and had a cocktail at dinner at the hotel restaurant, $19 plus 18% gratuity

Lots of people come from areas of this country and other countries where paying $19 + gratuity for a drink would be outrageous and even on vacation they would think of it as ridiculous. As was said in another post in this thread 'would could spend a week in a Manhattan hotel anyway' or for that matter pay for breakfasts and dinner.

If you have a drinks package, let's say "Select", that allows you to have wine up to $9, If you have a dearer one, say $12, do you just get charged the difference ($3) or do you have to pay the full price?

John:confused:

You would just pay the difference, plus 18%. However, if you are on a ship based out of the UK, then the 18% is already included in the prices.

I just had a buddy post on his FB wall that a drink at the Mirage/Vegas, poolside was $40. Wowza! Not sure of the details yet but I can't to hear his explanation on this one. If I had to pay $40 for a drink, I'd be one sober son of a gun! :D

Hope that drink came with some kind of "service", if ya know what I mean.

Celebrity threads state their top drink pkge. is now $65..

(shipcruise.org has RCL top drink pkge ultimate at $65..

Next, expect Diamond freebies to go away!:mad:

After Diamond freebies expect Diamond Plus freebies to go away!:mad:

After Diamond Plus expect Pinnacle freebies to go away!:mad:

Quite possible.:(:(

*LOL*

To paraphrase an old George Burns line. "If I paid $40 for a drink, I would have to sleep with it first " :)

If that was for extra's. ( free ice cubes and glass with an umbrella) I am sure RCCL would tax it a lot higher than the 18%.

:confused:

There's really no need to pay such high prices, unless of course you want to.

F&B NYC

Cocktails $5.95 to $6.95 ($3.50 during happy hour)

I'm confused. The previous poster is in NYC. Frankie and Benny's NYC is a UK chain. There aren't any in the US.

Not as confused as me, apparently.

I always get mixed up between F&B and TGI'Fs which IS in NYC.

I recall very reasonable drinks in there when we visited not too long ago.

TGIF menu

Apologies for the confusion

Edited by icsys
Typo correction

We asked the bartender to just pick something for us, but not too sweet. She made my wife the Lady Marmalade and a cucumber martini for me. I'm not a big cucumber fan, so wasn't expecting to like it, but it was actually pretty good (though a little on the sweet side). If I remember correctly, it had muddled cucumber along with Hendricks gin, St. Germain liqueur and a little lemon juice + simple syrup. I wasn't that familiar with St. Germain and thought it might make the drink too flowery, but overall it had more earthy and herbal tones from the gin and cucumber than floral.

Just off the Serenade myself and I fell in love with the watermelon/cucumber infusion Marina used to make that martini!

Agree with you that the R Bar was using some nice quality ingredients and making some unusual and tasty cocktails.

FYI

Just off the brilliance. Second cruise in six weeks and again we drank very very little. Just to high of prices.

But I do have one tip. Make sure you ask what the drink of the day is. Its still $7.75, which makes it over $9 with the tip. But cheaper than just ordering anything.

And we found in two different bars on two different days, if you didn't like the drink of the day, and just kinda hesitated and asked the bartender if that is the only one you can get. They would basically make you any simple drink for that price. One day I had a coconut rum, grenadine, and sprite mixture. Another day I had a mojito instead of the rum punch.

It really seems like the bartenders are starting to realize that people aren't paying the prices. So they seem to be very accommodating.

Just my two cents!!!

FYI

Just off the brilliance. Second cruise in six weeks and again we drank very very little. Just to high of prices.

But I do have one tip. Make sure you ask what the drink of the day is. Its still $7.75, which makes it over $9 with the tip. But cheaper than just ordering anything.

Good tip although amusing to think that $9 + for the DoD is a deal .:rolleyes:

I just had a buddy post on his FB wall that a drink at the Mirage/Vegas, poolside was $40. Wowza! Not sure of the details yet but I can't to hear his explanation on this one. If I had to pay $40 for a drink, I'd be one sober son of a gun! :D

Don't give Royal any bright ideas! I imagine they would love to charge $40 for a drink!

Just off of Freedom this morning. I can tell you that on CocoCay, 2 CocoLocos ran $28.32 including the auto tip (about $4 of that amount was tip) for the bartender to scoop some slush out of a cooler and float some Cruzan on top. Those were the only alcoholic drinks we purchased all week. We did however, book a future cruise at the NextCruise deal. Decent pricing on the cruise itself, including gratuities, for 3 pax in a Cat F OV on the upcoming 8 day Freedom itinerary out of Fort Lauderdale for $2622 with an automatic $100 OBC. Anyway, as part of the promo, they were offering BOGO50 Premium package at $456 for first pax and & $228 for second pax. We don't drink much, so can't see ourselves spending nearly $700 on alcohol. IMHO, that $700 is better spent on other things.