Second Thoughts...HELP!

KBucks31

So I booked the Getaway for our family in May (DH, 4 young adult kids 19-25). We haven't done this in a long time and I want to get it right. We like water sports, good food, fun bars, pools days, etc..

But now I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews about this ship. We've always sailed RCL; now I'm wondering if I should switch to the Oasis.

ANY advice would be welcome. Thanks!

I went on the Getaway almost two years ago, the Oasis a few months ago and am about to go on the Escape.

Both have good bars, though with Norwegian you can pick the beverage package to be included which is nice.

Both have adult only areas. During the day the one on the oasis seemed much more chill than the getaway. Not that the getaway was a big party, but I interacted with others a lot more.

Oasis doesn't have any water slides (I think the newer ones in the class do) but getaway does. Both have minigolf and basketball/volleyball/whatever deck and rock climbing, but getaway also has bowling (fee for that I think).

The big difference in activities is oasis has the flowrider and getaway has the ropes course. I liked both of them, but will say the ropes course takes less skill while not everyone gets the hang of flowrider.

I thought the food on both were pretty good, though I did like the noodle bar on getaway that was included.

Personally I liked both and my choice would come down to which is cheaper- comparing both with the drink package.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So I booked the Getaway for our family in May (DH, 4 young adult kids 19-25). We haven't done this in a long time and I want to get it right. We like water sports, good food, fun bars, pools days, etc..

But now I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews about this ship. We've always sailed RCL; now I'm wondering if I should switch to the Oasis.

Do you have the Ultimate Beverage Package as a perk?

I went on the Getaway almost two years ago, the Oasis a few months ago and am about to go on the Escape.

Both have good bars, though with Norwegian you can pick the beverage package to be included which is nice.

Both have adult only areas. During the day the one on the oasis seemed much more chill than the getaway. Not that the getaway was a big party, but I interacted with others a lot more.

Oasis doesn't have any water slides (I think the newer ones in the class do) but getaway does. Both have minigolf and basketball/volleyball/whatever deck and rock climbing, but getaway also has bowling (fee for that I think).

The big difference in activities is oasis has the flowrider and getaway has the ropes course. I liked both of them, but will say the ropes course takes less skill while not everyone gets the hang of flowrider.

I thought the food on both were pretty good, though I did like the noodle bar on getaway that was included.

Personally I liked both and my choice would come down to which is cheaper- comparing both with the drink package.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for taking the time to respond. very helpful

The Getaway is a great ship (basically a Quantum class ship size). RCL has had multiple mega ships for a while. Many NCL cruisers are on their first mega ship cruise and don't understand want to expect, then complain about being on a mega ship.

I would stay with the Getaway. We have sailed on the Getaway 3 times and this class of ship 9 times. (That being said, we are sailing on the Allure in a few weeks.)

DW and DS'S 19 and 20 got off the Getaway on December 31st. This was our second cruise on NCL. We did this cruise for the ports and dates. We were not disappointed at all. The Waterfront area was one of our favorite areas. Sunset bar, mojito bar, dinner outside, etc. We could hang out on the relaxing chairs while enjoying many adult beverages.

We snorkeled in Roatan and Cozumel, ruins in Costa Maya, and had the ship to ourselves at Harvest Caye.

Hung out in Spice H2O with adults and a bar!

The Million dollar quarter show was world class.

Food was great fo free such a large ship. Be sure to eat at Modern for dinner. Also there are regional specialty lunches in Modern that are complementary. An Indian theme lunch and a Brazilian themed lunch were excellent.

The only time it felt crowded were by the elevators after a big event in the theater. Use stairs if you can.

My boys did not attend but they had 18 to 21 year old functions in Bliss almost each night.

Do the rock and roll trivia with your kids. They will love that.

It's a big ship, you can get lost and find happy places. The pool area is crowded so we stayed away. We were happy at spice h20.

Go, have fun, don't listen to those that complain. It's a massive floating hotel were you can getaway easily from people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

DW and DS'S 19 and 20 got off the Getaway on December 31st. This was our second cruise on NCL. We did this cruise for the ports and dates. We were not disappointed at all. The Waterfront area was one of our favorite areas. Sunset bar, mojito bar, dinner outside, etc. We could hang out on the relaxing chairs while enjoying many adult beverages.

We snorkeled in Roatan and Cozumel, ruins in Costa Maya, and had the ship to ourselves at Harvest Caye.

Hung out in Spice H2O with adults and a bar!

The Million dollar quarter show was world class.

Food was great fo free such a large ship. Be sure to eat at Modern for dinner. Also there are regional specialty lunches in Modern that are complementary. An Indian theme lunch and a Brazilian themed lunch were excellent.

The only time it felt crowded were by the elevators after a big event in the theater. Use stairs if you can.

My boys did not attend but they had 18 to 21 year old functions in Bliss almost each night.

Do the rock and roll trivia with your kids. They will love that.

It's a big ship, you can get lost and find happy places. The pool area is crowded so we stayed away. We were happy at spice h20.

Go, have fun, don't listen to those that complain. It's a massive floating hotel were you can getaway easily from people.

Loved the Getaway. Sailed with the following ages of people: 72, 69, 53, 52 , 26, 29. All had a blast. They have the ropes course and walk the plank which was fun too. Lots of outdoor space including the “waterfront”. We are sailing on the Epic next and I almost wish we would of booked the Getaway again just for the waterfront area. We all had the drink package as a perk and that was a big savings. :D

We sailed on the Getaway 2.5 years ago with our then 21 & 22 year old kids. All of us LOVED it. The Waterfront has a couple of outdoor bars, several specialty dining options with outside seating, a gelato bar, and comfortable outside seating.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gosh, all of you have made me feel so much better! We're gonna stay put and enjoy the ride ;). Rock and Roll Trivia is exactly what we'd love!!

What exactly is the water front area?

They have a whole open deck you can walk around and enjoy. It has open air bars and seating areas. Very nice. Lots to do on that ship.

As long as it is before final payment date you can switch, but don't put too much into reviews. It is a lot easier to gripe than complement. We all expect to have a good time so we usually don't write about how great things are or were, but when something goes wrong, we want the world to hear our rants. I have not sailed the Getaway, but have the Breakaway. For those who like mega ships, I can't imagine any ship that could be much better than then the Getawy and I have heard many positive things about the ship. Only you can decide if you want to venture out and see the comparison or do you want to go with what you know.?

I loved the Getaway. Despite having recieved devastating news reguarding my husbands health just before we left. What we thought was going to be a "Blues Cruise" turned out to be an outstanding time. We had so much to do, the only time we were reminded of our dire situation was him having to take the trolly at harvest caye. This very well may have been our last vacation together, I pray not, but if it was then I couldn't be happier. The staff is absolutley top notch and the ship was beautiful. Food was great at the specialty restaurants. Shows were outstanding!

If the chemo buys us a few more years, then we probally will do Alaska next followed by another trip on the Getaway. (if that tells you how much we love it)

I loved the Getaway. Despite having recieved devastating news reguarding my husbands health just before we left. What we thought was going to be a "Blues Cruise" turned out to be an outstanding time. We had so much to do, the only time we were reminded of our dire situation was him having to take the trolly at harvest caye. This very well may have been our last vacation together, I pray not, but if it was then I couldn't be happier. The staff is absolutley top notch and the ship was beautiful. Food was great at the specialty restaurants. Shows were outstanding!

If the chemo buys us a few more years, then we probally will do Alaska next followed by another trip on the Getaway. (if that tells you how much we love it)

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's health :( I hope you get many more wonderful cruises together. We also loved the Getaway!

I will hope and pray that you share a LONG (er) life together! Try to stay positive, people beat the odds all the time. Thank you for posting!