"Aquatic Monitors" on the Glory, anywhere else?

Woodfaerie

After all the years of seeing some ridiculous behaviors in the pools, there are finally "Aquatic Monitors" as one of them described himself. And what might such a thing be? A being who watches over the pools and enforces rules. (they were at the Lido and Aft pools every single time I was in them which was alot) . Yes, an actual rule enforcer.

I witnessed some astonishing acts: one told a woman sitting on the edge of the aft pool eating pizza that she was not allowed to eat there. She got up and sat on one of the wooden benches that face the pool, continuing her feast. The aquatic monitor approached her once again and said she must move to an area away from the pool. No chance of floating pepperonis there.

Then when I was in the Lido pool, there was a man who was clearly spilling his drink in to the pool. (might have been a Miami Vice but the colors merged so I am not sure) Hello Mr. Aquatic Monitor! Yep, he marched right over and told the gentleman to remove his drink from the area.

They seemed to have a maximum amount of time they spend standing there before the changing of the guards happens. I mean, honestly, they just stand there so they are relieved of their duties and another monitor assumes position.

One night, I was the only one in the aft pool and lo and behold, one appeared, I kid you not. I felt so guilty that he had to be there because of one lonely swimmer- me. Fortunately for him, the cookies were put out at the Pizza Pirate counter which beckoned me so I got out.

I don't cruise when children are out of school or the intoxicated spring break weeks but I imagine they won't be so bored then! Is this a ship wide improvement?

We were on the Vista last month and were glad to see the pool attendants or whatever they are called. The pool was crowded but not nearly as chaotic. And I personally appreciated that they didn't allow people to eat and drink in the pool or on the edge, etc. Of course they work in shifts just like lifeguards would. It's hot on most cruises and also it keeps the attendants alert by switching often. I'm glad they are there.

I'm curious to know if they have actual lifeguard training or if they are simply behavior monitors, as described.

Either would be great, but after a few sad incidents in ships' pools -- including a child who drowned aboard Victory on the sailing before ours -- I'd hope that anyone assigned to a pool also be able to take action to forestall a drowning.

On that prior Victory sailing, it was the party deejay above the pool who first noticed the child in the pool (!) and raised the alarm, running down the stairs. He was given the next few days off.

I'm curious to know if they have actual lifeguard training or if they are simply behavior monitors, as described.

Either would be great, but after a few sad incidents in ships' pools -- including a child who drowned aboard Victory on the sailing before ours -- I'd hope that anyone assigned to a pool also be able to take action to forestall a drowning.

On that prior Victory sailing, it was the party deejay above the pool who first noticed the child in the pool (!) and raised the alarm, running down the stairs. He was given the next few days off.

They are not lifeguards, but keepers of the peace mostly. Parents need to watch their children. GFG!

I only see them when the drunks are getting unruly.

The monitor I was speaking with said they DO NOT have lifeguard training which is why they are called monitors.

parents need to take responsibility and watch their kids when they are in the pool. if the kid isn't a strong swimmer, then parents need to be in the water with them, within arm's reach.

I am a licensed water safety instructor with the Red Cross and I see it all the time. Parents bring their kids to the pool, and then they "check out" leaving their kids to their own devices. They are on their phone, or reading their book, or working on their tan, all while thinking that the lifeguards present are babysitters.

I see it on our cruises, too. Parents not paying attention while their child is in a pool that is deeper than they are tall. I've lifted several kids out of the pool when they were clearly in distress and parents not even notice that a stranger was holding their child.

Edited by Anthomaniac

• 2 weeks later...
They are not lifeguards, but keepers of the peace mostly. Parents need to watch their children. GFG!

I only see them when the drunks are getting unruly.

On the Vista this past week, the pool monitors were visible whenever I was at an open pool. Even including the Havana area after 9 pm, when the pool area was pretty quiet.

Wish the Fascination had had one last week....maybe they could have asked the parents of the 2 babies in diapers to exit the pool. They would go from pool to hot tub and then back in the pool again. I never get in the pool or hot tub for that reason. I cool off with the shower at the pool. Now hopefully I'm not going to get bashed as bad as I did on FB.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wish the Fascination had had one last week....maybe they could have asked the parents of the 2 babies in diapers to exit the pool. They would go from pool to hot tub and then back in the pool again. I never get in the pool or hot tub for that reason. I cool off with the shower at the pool. Now hopefully I'm not going to get bashed as bad as I did on FB.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I completely agree. Poop is not contained by diapers. I do not want any of the communicable diseases that are carried in fecal matter.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

parents need to take responsibility and watch their kids when they are in the pool. if the kid isn't a strong swimmer, then parents need to be in the water with them, within arm's reach.

I am a licensed water safety instructor with the Red Cross and I see it all the time. Parents bring their kids to the pool, and then they "check out" leaving their kids to their own devices. They are on their phone, or reading their book, or working on their tan, all while thinking that the lifeguards present are babysitters.

I see it on our cruises, too. Parents not paying attention while their child is in a pool that is deeper than they are tall. I've lifted several kids out of the pool when they were clearly in distress and parents not even notice that a stranger was holding their child.

I don't get parents who don't pay attention to their kids in or around any body of water. Heck, my son is 15 and 6'2". He is also going through lifeguard training, but when we were at the beach last Mar in FL and he was swimming alone, I made us all move closer to the lifeguard tower. You just never know how quickly something can go wrong around water.

As for pool monitors, that is awesome! Hope they expand it!