Carnival to Resume Cruising from Norfolk, New York Departures Added

LauraS

• 5 months later...

Living in Raleigh, NC I was kinda enthused about this option. Unfortunately, the itineraries really are awful. :( Freeport and Nassau? Ugh. Half Moon Cay - well, that's okay, but not enough to make me go.

It's a shame. We haven't done Carnival for many years. Might have been fun to try it again.

Living in Raleigh, NC I was kinda enthused about this option. Unfortunately, the itineraries really are awful. :( Freeport and Nassau? Ugh. Half Moon Cay - well, that's okay, but not enough to make me go.

It's a shame. We haven't done Carnival for many years. Might have been fun to try it again.

Wish they would have longer itineraries going to more interesting places

Why not a Bermuda 3-day itinerary?? It would be a different option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They do offer 4 night cruises from New York, but 3 nights will not be enough time. You need at least one whole sea day each way in order to arrive, and typically a little late arrival or a little late departure. Your best bet may be to drive up to Baltimore and book a 5 night on the Grandeur of the Seas on Royal Caribbean, which will overnight in King's Wharf, giving you about 26 or so hours in port if I'm correct. The ship is smaller and manageable, and will give a good taste of what cruising is like.

But, if you don't want to try Royal and the Norfolk region is your preferred departure, you could take a short cruise from there, or drive south to Charleston or Jacksonville and board a different Carnival ship for a 5 night Bahamian cruise. All good introduction options.

Sailing out of Norfolk is not much different distance wise than Baltimore. It takes a few hours to get across the HRBT at the entrance to the bay before you can turn south. So it is not surprising to me that the itineraries look very similar as the Bahamas or GT is about as far as you can reasonably go and have more than 1 port of call (except Bermuda). We are the closes to Bermuda and I wish they would run more out of here to there!

I am just thrilled that they are back to sailing out of Norfolk as it is very convenient for an area that has almost 1 million people in the immediate area and way more within 2 hours.

Yes, the prices are more expensive. But, recently we have had better ships here than Charleston. And with Charleston, we have to spend the costs for fuel, food and hotel the night before. NO WAY would I trust I95 traffic for a 6-7 hour drive to try to board a cruise by 3:30 p.m.

Thanks Carnival for giving us some home port cruises!!!

Weighing out the pros and cons, this is overall a great thing. Carnival can only grow so much with ports in Florida. A lot of us that don't live down south would love to have an option of being able to drive to a port. Unfortunately, that limits itineraries too.

People crap on the Bahamas too much (well ok, I can do without Freeport). There are some decent trips to be had here.

They do offer 4 night cruises from New York, but 3 nights will not be enough time. You need at least one whole sea day each way in order to arrive, and typically a little late arrival or a little late departure. Your best bet may be to drive up to Baltimore and book a 5 night on the Grandeur of the Seas on Royal Caribbean, which will overnight in King's Wharf, giving you about 26 or so hours in port if I'm correct. The ship is smaller and manageable, and will give a good taste of what cruising is like.

But, if you don't want to try Royal and the Norfolk region is your preferred departure, you could take a short cruise from there, or drive south to Charleston or Jacksonville and board a different Carnival ship for a 5 night Bahamian cruise. All good introduction options.

I believe that the Carnival Pride in Baltimore makes periodic cruises to Bermuda as well. I know they did at one time unless itinerary has changed.

Weighing out the pros and cons, this is overall a great thing. Carnival can only grow so much with ports in Florida. A lot of us that don't live down south would love to have an option of being able to drive to a port. Unfortunately, that limits itineraries too.

People crap on the Bahamas too much (well ok, I can do without Freeport). There are some decent trips to be had here.

I did the Bahamas cruise from Norfolk on Glory twice. There’s only so many things to do at Nassau and Freeport and yes I am amongst those that crap on the Bahamas. It’s more expensive to go to 2 bum ports from Norfolk and I’m about 20 min from the port than it is to fly to Florida and take a regular Caribbean cruise. Surely Carnival can do more 7 day cruises with better ports from here even if it meant 3 sea days. It’s not like you’re in the Chesapeake Bay that long as if you came from Baltimore.

I would love to be able to cruise from here but I’m not doing it with those crappy itineraries for more money. The 7 day is nicer with GT and HMC, unfortunately the timing doesn’t work for me for that one. They need to offer more 7 days and get rid of Nassau and Freeport.

I believe that the Carnival Pride in Baltimore makes periodic cruises to Bermuda as well. I know they did at one time unless itinerary has changed.

They do, but the person I was responding to had a focus on short cruises to introduce their husband to cruising, the Pride's cruises are 7 nights or longer that stop in Bermuda.

Did a short cruise out of Norfolk that was a cruise to no where. It was very easy to get to and I will be looking at the itineraries.
There are six cruises to choose from all on the Triumph. 4/29/19 is a 7 day going to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport. There are three 6 day cruises on 5/6/19, 10/14/19 and 10/20/19 going to Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Freeport. There are two 5 day cruises on 5/12/19 and 5/17/19 going to Nassau and Freeport.

There are six cruises to choose from all on the Triumph. 4/29/19 is a 7 day going to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport. There are three 6 day cruises on 5/6/19, 10/14/19 and 10/20/19 going to Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Freeport. There are two 5 day cruises on 5/12/19 and 5/17/19 going to Nassau and Freeport.

Where did you find the 4/29/19 cruise? I looked on a popular travel site, but that 1 didn't show up.:confused: