Just say no to St. Barts!

wallyworld583

We made our second stop in St. Barth' this past week. On our first stop several years ago the shop keepers all closed their doors and went home. And this was early morning.

Last week, as we were getting ready to tender to town, word reached the ship that there was a problem with the water plant on the island and there would be no public rest rooms anywhere including restaurants and bars! We went anyway and noted the locks and signs on the restrooms. Walked to Shell Beach and they had facilities available and open and when asked, the locals had no idea there was a 'problem' with the water plant.

As the last tenders were leaving, local people were unlocking and taking down the signs on the rest rooms at the pier!

So, if your ship is going to St. Barth's, skip the aggravation of the tender ride and stay on board as the nice people there obviously don't want 'boat people'.

We were on the same cruise as Wallyworld, and have a similar report. We were on one of the early tenders, reaching Gustavia around 11:00 am. That morning, we heard the same announcements about the "water works" problem causing the closure of all public restrooms.

Since we were already in line for the tender, we decided to walk around Gustavia and look for a place to eat lunch. There were only a few bars and restaurants open at that time, and we didn't see anyone serving food yet. Most of the shops were closed, also -- only a few ultra-high-end places (Cartier, etc) were even open. So, after walking around for about an hour and taking some pictures -- we just caught the next tender back to the ship. So much for that port! :rolleyes:

The first time we stopped there cruisng, years ago, only one or two lines stopped there. They told us on the ship that most on the island weren't "thrilled" with the ships stopping. It is an island where privacy is a priority. I can imagine now with more cruise ship traffic the islanders are NOT happy. For the stores to close and lose business from us "poor" cruisers is amazing. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

The most objectionable thing to me at St. Barts was hearing of the outrageous taxi fares charged for a run around an island with 24 miles of road. One couple we spoke to forked over $160 with the driver making a scene expecting a substantial tip. Another said they were charged $140. (Both admitted they should have asked before getting in.)

We walked to Shell Beach and had an enjoyable time in the sun. Did some swimming in the warm-enough water and relaxed on our beachtowels. Lunch was from the supermarket along the harbor walk, a blue building a few doors down from the tender point. We bought a few baguettes, some ham and cheese, plus beverages, and enjoyed our sandwiches and the view for a fraction of restaurant prices. As for the rest...C'est la vie!

If it's any consolation, according to a September '13 USAToday article, "Celebrity will include (St. Barts) on three cruises the line said were created with 'upscale travelers' in mind."

One note: The ship's announcement regarding toilets was perhaps a bit broad. I recall it said that all public toilets were closed, but later it became evident that the only ones closed were those at the tender point. Several people we spoke to used the facilities in restaurants. I suspect the misunderstanding is as much the ship's fault as anything.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in St Barth's recently and we absolutely loved it. It's true that the locals hid away and we hardly saw anybody walking around. However it was a Sunday morning and, as in France (and it is a French territory) not much was open but that was what we expected it. There were one or two touristy souvenir shops open in Gustavia and a couple of cafes, but it is a beautiful town, kept in pristine condition and we spent two very enjoyable hours exploring it.

We took a taxi to St Jean's Beach which cost $30 for 6 of us and we didn't think that was too bad at all. We loved the beach and we felt very welcome in Nikki's bar-restaurant by the beach. There were lots of locals there having lunch but we sat by the bar enjoying a couple of drinks and people made conversation with us, as they would anywhere else in the world.

Four of us rented a car and drove to many parts of the island. No one was very friendly. When we were on the beach at St. Jean's, we paid $54 for four drinks (one non-alcoholic) and then they didn't want us to sit there!

• 2 weeks later...
Four of us rented a car and drove to many parts of the island. No one was very friendly. When we were on the beach at St. Jean's, we paid $54 for four drinks (one non-alcoholic) and then they didn't want us to sit there!

Everyone that we engaged with during our recent cruise was very nice. We rented a car from Hertz (I would go with Turbe next time--they were at the pier with a sign. We had to wait for someone to come from the airport and drive us back to the airport to get the car.)

We stopped for dessert at a beach front restaurant and paid 24 euro for 2 desserts and 2 diet cokes--not too bad. We also went into a local supermarket and they were patient and helpful with us.

We had either two or three visits to St. Bart's and positively loves our visits. We shopped, I made purchases at Longhchamps and elsewhere, DH wandered around while I poked in a few stores. Everyone was nice to us; we hired a car and driver for a tour and fully enjoyed it. I'm not sure why others have experienced such unhappy circumstances there.

We were on a relatively small ship (Maasdam - 1,250 guests) and because it's a tender port not all went ashore. Maybe because we likely were less than 800 or so ashore they weren't as overwhelmed by us?

• 9 months later...

St. Barth's is a high end island - most people who pay a lot to enjoy its amenities do not want to crowded by a bunch of cruise ship day-trippers. The business there for the most part know which side of their bread is buttered, and they do not want to mess with what, for them, is a good thing.

In some respects it is similar to Martha's Vineyard - except for one call by Silver Sea, carrying some 380 passengers, in the coming year or so only 200 or so passengers will call there.

It does make sense: a community which owes its prosperity to its ambience is reluctant to allow that ambience to be shattered every now and then by a thousand or so of what they see as yahoos coming ashore to gape.

St. Barth's is a high end island - most people who pay a lot to enjoy its amenities do not want to crowded by a bunch of cruise ship day-trippers. The business there for the most part know which side of their bread is buttered, and they do not want to mess with what, for them, is a good thing.

In some respects it is similar to Martha's Vineyard - except for one call by Silver Sea, carrying some 380 passengers, in the coming year or so only 200 or so passengers will call there.

It does make sense: a community which owes its prosperity to its ambience is reluctant to allow that ambience to be shattered every now and then by a thousand or so of what they see as yahoos coming ashore to gape.

Actually, it's interesting you chose Martha's Vineyard as another example. :) We stopped there years ago during a Canada/NE cruise on the same ship...... ms Maasdam. :)

Your point is well taken. Perhaps they weren't sure we were from the ship as we didn't display anything that would indicate it. Maybe they were nice to us as they weren't sure if we were on one of the gorgeous yachts in the harbor or staying in a hotel....... we certainly have stayed at many a lovely resort all over the place.

Edited by sail7seas

Have been to St. Barths maybe 6 or 8 times and have never had this problem. I suspect that as someone said it was because some large ship was there. They certainly like the Sea Dream, Seabourn crowd.:p

Have been to St. Barths maybe 6 or 8 times and have never had this problem. I suspect that as someone said it was because some large ship was there. They certainly like the Sea Dream, Seabourn crowd.:p

Of course, passengers on Sea Dream, Seabourn, etc. who pay $450 per person per day and up are not the run-of-the mill mass market passengers who are seen by the St. Barths. crowd as coming ashore with one shirt and a $20 bill --- and reluctant to change either.

We had a laugh shopping for DH's usual t-shirt from every port. He always picked one up wherever we stopped and the least costly one we saw in St. Bart's started at something like $70. :)

Some of Maasdam's cabins can cost $450+ pp per day on some of her itineraries, particularly Canada/NE.

We had a laugh shopping for DH's usual t-shirt from every port. He always picked one up wherever we stopped and the least costly one we saw in St. Bart's started at something like $70. :)

Some of Maasdam's cabins can cost $450+ pp per day on some of her itineraries, particularly Canada/NE.

St. Barth's is indeed a special place --- really lovely, kept uncrowded by rigid immigration controls - it is a remote slice of France - made even pricier than Paris by its remote location.

I am still saving up for a hopefully-early HAL Canada/NE sailing -- which few itineraries seem to carry a far higher per diem charge than any other of HAL's itineraries: a clear demonstration of supply and demand pricing.

• 9 months later...

Our ship is stopping here in February. The Serenissima, sailing from Grand Cayman via Cuba, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, BVI and St Eustatius. 100 passengers max. So we'll get along just fine here.

http://www.noble-caledonia.co.uk/tour/693/caribbean-island-odyssey/?search_url_id=14

I can see why those monster ships with more than 1000 passengers aren't very welcome in such a small, chic port and, frankly, I can't see why the authorities allow them to stop there.

Edited by Fletcher

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
St. Barth's is indeed a special place --- really lovely, kept uncrowded by rigid immigration controls - it is a remote slice of France - made even pricier than Paris by its remote location. I am still saving up for a hopefully-early HAL Canada/NE sailing -- which few itineraries seem to carry a far higher per diem charge than any other of HAL's itineraries: a clear demonstration of supply and demand pricing.

Yes, St. Barts is a special place that gets lots of media and celebrity interest, publicity and attention. From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they have this headline: "Away We Go to St. Barthélemy" with a large number of fashion photos and views from around on this scenic location.

One of their sub-heads had this summary highlight: "Pack a bag and escape to St. Barthélemy, where commutes happen on the back of a Moke, the only deadline is the sunset and there’s nothing more to worry about than which carefree look to choose." Fun summary and pictures!! Below is one example from their WSJ visual sampling.

In the past few weeks, there have been a decent number of various celebrities pictured in the media such as David Letterman (in a beard and balding), football/TV star Michael Strahan, Rupert Murdoch's ex Wendi Deng, Sting, Caroline Kennedy, etc.. They were all super enjoying St. Bart's as we did last year.

Also, the London/UK Daily Mail Telegraph in early March, they had this headline: "St Barts: the sexiest island in the Caribbean". Here are some of that story's highlights: "St Barts has always been sexy, but I found myself on the island in the middle of the Victoria’s Secret swimwear shoot. As I lay on St Jean beach I looked up to see men with lighting umbrellas and cameras. I didn’t even have time to find out whether the model was wearing a Flirt Bandeau or a Hottie Halter. It was a fitting scene. St Barts is unquestionably the sexiest island in the Caribbean and has inimitable French style. Pretty young things – men and women – zip by on quad bikes and loiter on the beaches. The streets of the main town are lined with Hermès, Chopard and Bulgari. And the restaurants outstrip those on any other island. St Barts is expensive and feels more metropolitan French than French West Indian Clearly the island is doing something right."

Here is a little more from this profile on St. Barts: "It’s this level of sophistication that sets St Barts apart. Importers actually bring wine in young to minimise the damage from sea travel. The prize for the introduction of the most exotic new ingredient for this year must go to L’Isola, still one of the island’s most popular restaurants, which has added Mediterranean blue lobster to its menu."

Full stories at:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/away-we-go-to-st-barthelemy-1459350070

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/caribbean/st-barts/articles/st-barts-new-openings-in-the-sexiest-island-in-the-caribbean/

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 139,343 views for this posting.

With this island's famously short and challenged airport runway in the background, here is one of the fashion examples from this Wall Street Journal photo profile this morning.:

Africa2016PixsC7_zps14hcnvwj.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

• 4 weeks later...
I can see why those monster ships with more than 1000 passengers aren't very welcome in such a small, chic port and, frankly, I can't see why the authorities allow them to stop there.

We had no issues when we stopped there in February 2016 on the Nieuw Amsterdam (2,100 passengers); maybe it was because it was a gay charter. :D

Edited by Boytjie

• 5 months later...
St. Barth's is indeed a special place --- really lovely, kept uncrowded by rigid immigration controls - it is a remote slice of France - made even pricier than Paris by its remote location.

Oh lord.... Don't tell them there are some Brit's coming ashore post Brexit! Mind you, they might understand the concerns on immigration better than "mainland" france! :p

Gustavia is our longest stop for any port we stop at arriving at 9am to 11pm

Hope the're a bit friendlier than they were when this thread was started!

Oh lord.... Don't tell them there are some Brit's coming ashore post Brexit! Mind you, they might understand the concerns on immigration better than "mainland" france! :p

Gustavia is our longest stop for any port we stop at arriving at 9am to 11pm

Hope the're a bit friendlier than they were when this thread was started!

We (USA) still luv you...even after BEXIT :). Have been telling our English friends (for years) that you built the Chunnel i the wrong direction.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Our ship is stopping here in February. The Serenissima, sailing from Grand Cayman via Cuba, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, BVI and St Eustatius. 100 passengers max. So we'll get along just fine here.

http://www.noble-caledonia.co.uk/tour/693/caribbean-island-odyssey/?search_url_id=14

I don't think a ship with 1,000 passengers is considered a monster ship. One of the RCCL mega ships with 6,000 passengers is what I would call a monster ship.

• 4 months later...
I don't think a ship with 1,000 passengers is considered a monster ship. One of the RCCL mega ships with 6,000 passengers is what I would call a monster ship.

The folks in St. Barts would. I've been there twice aboard sailing vessels. Wonderful place. Sure it's out of my price range. Everything except Le Select.

• 4 weeks later...

I was there aboard the Silver Wind (Silversea cruise line), which only had 225 passengers. Everything in port was open, and I did not hear of any water issues. However, the island is terribly overpriced. We walked to Shell Beach (Caution, lots of nudity witnessed here), and had a burger and a few beers at Le Select. Next year, our B2B stops there twice. I think we will book a tour the first time, and see how that goes, maybe the same 2nd week.

I was there aboard the Silver Wind (Silversea cruise line), which only had 225 passengers. Everything in port was open, and I did not hear of any water issues. However, the island is terribly overpriced. We walked to Shell Beach (Caution, lots of nudity witnessed here), and had a burger and a few beers at Le Select. Next year, our B2B stops there twice. I think we will book a tour the first time, and see how that goes, maybe the same 2nd week.

We arrive there tomorrow. It's the only port we've not booked a tour on and funnily, where you went is where some friends recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk