St. Croix Update: October 9th

drake2014

Good afternoon everyone, I don't have the time or bandwidth to go through and answer individual threads so I thought I would put together an update.

The west end suffered massive damage.

Most of the wonderful places I have recommended are barely hanging on or closed outright. Freedom City Surf/Teres Veho was flattened and probably won't ever reopen. Rhythms is running on a generator with a limited menu but the beach is gone. Turtles Deli suffered terrible damage and looting but will reopen as soon as they can. Tap Deck is running on limited power but they are open and serving drinks and food.

Most roads are cleared but there are power lines and poles hanging everywhere, trees down and sidewalks and blocking some roads. Branches and bush everywhere combined with tin from roofs, in some places whole roofs are laying in the streets. Almost nobody has power so the air buzzes with generators 24/7 and extension cords are laying everywhere. Cell phone towers are down all over so service is spotty at best, same for internet access.

We are rebuilding, we are staying, we are VI-Strong, neighbors are helping each other and we will survive.

Send help if you can.

-Drake

Hi Drake. When you say Rhythms beach is gone, do you mean no more Rainbow Beach? How about the beach next to the pier? Can you still rent chairs and umbrellas there? Sandcastle beach? What beach would you recommend after the hurricane for cruisers? Thanks

Hi Drake. When you say Rhythms beach is gone, do you mean no more Rainbow Beach? How about the beach next to the pier? Can you still rent chairs and umbrellas there? Sandcastle beach? What beach would you recommend after the hurricane for cruisers? Thanks

Most of the sand was blown out to sea, they will recover in time. All of the west end beaches are basically exposed rock with some sand scattered around now. Westend Watersports (the rental people next to Rhythms is closed) so no chairs or umbrellas there. I found one of the Sandcastle umbrellas in my yard so I would say the odds are not in your favor.

Walk till you find a beach you like, or bring trash bags and help clean up.

Most of the wonderful places I have recommended are barely hanging on or closed outright. Freedom City Surf/Teres Veho was flattened and probably won't ever reopen.

:eek::( So sad....I loved the tacos there.

Send help if you can.

What kind of help do you need? You have helped a lot of us, maybe we can try to help you and your area out.

-Drake

you can always email me the kind of things yall need at my screen name at aol dot come

Kim

Drake ! So that sounds like our Refelction cruise to St Croix is very much up in the air at this point. We are due Dec 15th I felt that wasn't set in stone the way the Celebrity site was saying. Stay Safe !

By then we should be settling back to normal (I hope) so we'd be glad to have you.

Good morning everybody, due to the outpouring of support I have received here I have created an Amazon wishlist of things we can use to rebuild our neighborhood. We will appreciate anything anyone would like to send. http://a.co/bDlkutR

If you'd rather not use Amazon my address is:

Darrin Drake

PO Box 1771 Frederiksted VI 00841

Thank you, everyone!

Drake, my friend has be sending things to her family living and working in St. Croix packages every few days. Three different houses are involved.

An additional large generator plus lots other things (solar panels, etc.) are on the way with more to go. All of us are helping fill the boxes.

Odd thing they've ask to be sent: empty gas cans. :confused:

Drake, my friend has be sending things to her family living and working in St. Croix packages every few days. Three different houses are involved.

An additional large generator plus lots other things (solar panels, etc.) are on the way with more to go. All of us are helping fill the boxes.

Odd thing they've ask to be sent: empty gas cans. :confused:

Yup, that's a common thing down here right now! I have a large crate headed this way from the states as we speak. Gas cans are scarce as gold!!

Drake ! So that sounds like our Refelction cruise to St Croix is very much up in the air at this point. We are due Dec 15th I felt that wasn't set in stone the way the Celebrity site was saying. Stay Safe !

We're on the Reflection 11/17 cruise...very concerned re St Croix stop. Thanks to Drake for telling us the truth about the beach conditions. X just keeps saying it's a viable port.

• 2 weeks later...
Drake

Somehow I didn't see your wishlist posting before I posted VI Strong's. Small package coming your way, with more to follow, as soon as I have the $$$

Former Cruzan

Cindy

No problem, I'm a big fan of their work too! Thank you so much!

Drake, are you still in need of gas cans? We're headed that way, due November 15th. Are you anywhere near the pier?

I'm doing ok at the moment, Home Depot got in a shipment last week and I bought a couple. I appreciate the offer though! Yes, I am fairly close to the pier.

Very interested to see any updates on St. Croix. We are scheduled to be at St. Croix, January 2nd on the Pacific Princess. It is planned to do some form of an island tour, either through the ship or picked up at the dock and then spend money in the city.

Very interested to see any updates on St. Croix. We are scheduled to be at St. Croix, January 2nd on the Pacific Princess. It is planned to do some form of an island tour, either through the ship or picked up at the dock and then spend money in the city.

When you get off the ship and walk out side of the gates there is a company that does tours right there for a good price. Loved St Croix when I went last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any updates?

The beaches are coming back and businesses are reopening where possible. We are still under a curfew and cleaning up, we have very limited power and the roads are terrible, internet service is down to most residences and AT&T is still rebuilding so communications are spotty. Sprint has given up on us completely and couldn't care less so anyone with a sprint phone has no phone now. We are recovering and lots of the touristy business are opening up.

We will be back in service for the ships on November 11th as promised.