Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Roz,

so sorry to hear about your loss. Sending nothing but hugs and prayers your way!!!!

Cruisin_cutie - well Miss Cruisin_Cutie - I sat and "wasted" an hour yesterday reading your cruise blog! LOL! ;):D

Well done you for raising and training those puppies - I would find it so hard to hand them over, but I would know they would be going to help others like our friends on this board. And that would make it all worthwhile. :)

Roz

I wish i had some magic words to make you feel better unfortunately the don't exist' date=' but i do want to know that i look several times a day to see how you are progressing and if maybe there is something i can do. I guess i just want you to know that you have a lot of cyber friends who love you.

Sending you a lots of love and comfort,

Barbara, David, and Bella[/quote']

Roz - I wish I had magic words too but you have a band of "magic" doggy loving cyber pals who are circling round you with their prayers and thoughts and hopefully in some small way you can feel this positive energy which we all send you.

Brenda will love having the TV on - hey I even have it on for company if I'm ever in the house on my own - there is only so much "conversation" you can have with a dog before they roll over and fall asleep! ;):eek:

Take care and big hugs to you and Brenda and Horton.

BTW - I think Princess would have no argument that they could possibly win for not giving you your money back for your cruise, although I know that is probably way down your list right now.

I thought some family members went on that cruise :confused: I'm confused.

Thats nice they enjoyed your cabin.

I, originally, was travelling with my SIL who stayed back with me for support. I tried to convince her to go without me and my TA and Princess was going to allow her to invite someone to join her.....she wouldn't leave me.....I'm lucky to have such great support systems in family and friends.

Roz: I googled Alan Buckelew and came up with the following:

email: abuckelew@princess.com

Corporate Headquarters

24305 Town Center Dr.

Santa Clarita, CA 91355

That sounds close enough to drive to and hand deliver a letter!

You rock! Thank you so much Nancy.

I'm going to remind you and everyone else reading this. Have all your ducks in a row......Keep your marriage license, wills, all directives in ONE PLACE. So when a family member passes you can go to that ONE PLACE and get what you need!

I, originally, was travelling with my SIL who stayed back with me for support. I tried to convince her to go without me and my TA and Princess was going to allow her to invite someone to join her.....she wouldn't leave me.....I'm lucky to have such great support systems in family and friends.

Gotcha! You know I'm alittle slow :eek:

Have all your ducks in a row......Keep your marriage license, wills, all directives in ONE PLACE. So when a family member passes you can go to that ONE PLACE and get what you need!

Noted! As I read it, I was thinking, is everything together? Will have to follow up on some of it.

Noted! As I read it, I was thinking, is everything together? Will have to follow up on some of it.

When my dear Mum left us, she had a briefcase in which she had kept all of the important stuff/papers in. She had shown me some years before, I think after my father died, and I, unsurprisingly told her "oh I don't want to see that for a long, long time!" Anyway, when the time sadly did come, it was great planning on her part as I was able to pretty much just hand it over to our solicitor. He did remark how organised she was! I still have that old briefcase, couldn't bear to part with it!

Fairbourne: I also have a briefcase. The front half has Mom's papers and the back half is for grandson. The problem is when I take something out, usually I am running in 3 directions and "set" it down to be put up later! Or, with grandson, don't want to throw out the old papers, even though I have updated one's, so those move to a banker box. Then the hunt is on when I need it. I also have a folder with my dad and fil's papers in. Since they have passed, those are also in a bankers box, but in storage. I feel lost without them sometimes. I like to just look at their birth certificates.

Has anyone been to Atlantis in the Bahamas with their dog? The TA saw that pets were not allowed but service animals are if they are "registered". I called this morning and since we are only going for a few hours and not an extended stay, I didn't have to register the dog. Just wondering if anyone else has been there and if there was anything we should know from your experiences.

Has anyone been to Atlantis in the Bahamas with their dog? The TA saw that pets were not allowed but service animals are if they are "registered". I called this morning and since we are only going for a few hours and not an extended stay, I didn't have to register the dog. Just wondering if anyone else has been there and if there was anything we should know from your experiences.

We have been there with Wexler. We had no problems at all. I'm not sure what you mean by "registering" the dog. All we had was the Bahamas permit and no one questioned us at all.

Good to know you had a positive experience! Thanks!

Register was the term the TA used. I guess it's like "registering" the dog on the ship. Just to let them know it will be there. We are only there for a shore excursion so it's just a few hours.

Good to know you had a positive experience! Thanks!

Register was the term the TA used. I guess it's like "registering" the dog on the ship. Just to let them know it will be there. We are only there for a shore excursion so it's just a few hours.

I'm sure you already know, but you will need the Bahamas permit.

I sent the application in. I got a global forever stamp from the post office. I had never seen a round American stamp before! I'm curious to see which comes first, my kids' new passports or the permit!

I would bet on the passports! :D

Roz - I wish I had magic words too but you have a band of "magic" doggy loving cyber pals who are circling round you with their prayers and thoughts and hopefully in some small way you can feel this positive energy which we all send you.

Brenda will love having the TV on - hey I even have it on for company if I'm ever in the house on my own - there is only so much "conversation" you can have with a dog before they roll over and fall asleep! ;):eek:

Take care and big hugs to you and Brenda and Horton.

BTW - I think Princess would have no argument that they could possibly win for not giving you your money back for your cruise, although I know that is probably way down your list right now.

You're such a great person. If you ever venture to the west coast of the US please let me know I'd love to meet you. Your words are a great comfort.

I go to my first bereavement group this evening. I hope I don't scare them with my big Horton and my big hair!

You're such a great person. If you ever venture to the west coast of the US please let me know I'd love to meet you. Your words are a great comfort.

I go to my first bereavement group this evening. I hope I don't scare them with my big Horton and my big hair!

Oh! And, I sure hope you're right and Princess gives me some kind of credit for my missed cruise. Afterall, I am a frequent sailor!!!!!! Or, is that sailer?

Okay, you guys are going to like this....I hope. I was driving with my children to drop some stuff off at the cleaners and it suddenly hit me and I said out loud, "Oh, My, I'm a widow!" My daughter said back to me, not missing a beat, "Mommy, you're not widow, you're big!" We laughed so hard my sad tears turned to happy ones and I almost peed my pants!!!!!

Okay, okay, you had to be there!!!! :rolleyes:

Yes, service animals are allowed. Some boat owners docked in the marina try to sneak their pets off the boats and into Marina Village or Harborside or Atlantis, so that is why you may be questioned by security/employees just to make sure your dog is not a pet (even if it is fully dressed in a mobility harness and pack with large "SERVICE DOG" lettering, go figure!).

Guests of Atlantis and Harborside must "register" (not a formal process) their service dogs with Atlantis when they arrive so an e-mail memo (with a photo of you and your dog) can be sent out to notify all security/certain staff that your dog is indeed allowed to be there and allowed access everywhere. It helps with access, as there were some access issues with some employees before they began doing this, so it is a good thing. They also ask for copies of the import and vet paperwork when you get back from seeing the Bahamian vet (I recommend Dr. Sands), which is required within 48 hours of your arrival in the Bahamas (cruises are excluded).

Okay, you guys are going to like this....I hope. I was driving with my children to drop some stuff off at the cleaners and it suddenly hit me and I said out loud, "Oh, My, I'm a widow!" My daughter said back to me, not missing a beat, "Mommy, you're not widow, you're big!" We laughed so hard my sad tears turned to happy ones and I almost peed my pants!!!!!

Okay, okay, you had to be there!!!! :rolleyes:

:D Well, at least you have big hair! :D

I'm so glad you're laughing! :D I hope the meeting is a good one for you. :)

Roz - that's very sweet of you but I'm just a normal "girl" ;) who loves her dogs!

Well Roz, we do have friends in LA who we keep promising to meet up with - funnily enough we met them on a cruise and then cruised again with them - but they turned down the offer of joining us on our upcoming Alaska cruise - waaay too cold up there for the lady from LA! He was keen as he goes there quite often for fishing.

Now wouldn't that be truly magical - the Scottish wifie with the big (ish) hair gets to meet the US Gal with the BIG Hair! And if we could persuade our other pals on here to join us, that would be quite the party!

Oh I did get your tale from the car - eventually - :eek: but it took me a few readings (thinking what are they on about???) and then saying it out loud with an "American" accent to finally get it! That would have probably been hilarious to you as it was a mix of my friend in Texas (long drawl with MASSIVE big Hair) and the delicate softer tones of the lady in LA, so gawd knows what I sounded like! But I am so glad you were laughing!

I am sure Princess will honour that credit, after all you now know there was someone in "your" cabin! And we all know too!!!

Big hugs and let us know how your support group went. :)

So, there I was in the support group with 7 men. First, all the groups [folks who lost someone more than a year ago; folks who lost a child; folks who lost someone within the past 6 months.] I was in the last group. We all met so that various announcements could be made. Horton was laying in front of me and a lady with a walker was meandering by and promptly rolled over Horton's tail. WHAT! I have to come to this group for my Horty to be abused? She was about 102 and obviously couldn't see well.....but, it reminded me of a bad cruise.

Finally and thankfully we split into our designated groups and there I was with 7 begrieving men. It didn't stop me from sharing, crying, telling my story of my life with Morey, crying and then crying some more. These men were very kind and allowed me to share but when it came time for them to share - Look out! It was interesting to hear the process from a man's perspective. I hoping there will be other women next time I go!

I'll try it a few more times. It ended a little after 9:00pm and by the time I got home it was almost 10:00. I can't do that too often and then get up early the next day and go to work. It also leaves Brenny alone for a very long time.

Roz, I'm doing the BVE tomorrow on the Sapphire Princess. (I was supposed to do it last month but my uncle's memorial was the same day.) Which is your favorite cabin? We want to look at different cabins on Princess and I want to be sure I see "yours." Hey, want to join us? ;)

Is Horton's tail OK?

Roz, I'm doing the BVE tomorrow on the Sapphire Princess. (I was supposed to do it last month but my uncle's memorial was the same day.) Which is your favorite cabin? We want to look at different cabins on Princess and I want to be sure I see "yours." Hey, want to join us? ;)

Is Horton's tail OK?

When Morey cruised with me his favorite cabin was E717 and because of the couch, bar and extra room for Brenda & now Horton I continued to use it.

Horton's tail survived the woman and her walker!

So, there I was in the support group with 7 men. First, all the groups [folks who lost someone more than a year ago; folks who lost a child; folks who lost someone within the past 6 months.] I was in the last group. We all met so that various announcements could be made. Horton was laying in front of me and a lady with a walker was meandering by and promptly rolled over Horton's tail. WHAT! I have to come to this group for my Horty to be abused? She was about 102 and obviously couldn't see well.....but, it reminded me of a bad cruise.

Finally and thankfully we split into our designated groups and there I was with 7 begrieving men. It didn't stop me from sharing, crying, telling my story of my life with Morey, crying and then crying some more. These men were very kind and allowed me to share but when it came time for them to share - Look out! It was interesting to hear the process from a man's perspective. I hoping there will be other women next time I go!

I'll try it a few more times. It ended a little after 9:00pm and by the time I got home it was almost 10:00. I can't do that too often and then get up early the next day and go to work. It also leaves Brenny alone for a very long time.

Your story made me chuckle. Nice to see some of that old Roz appearing again. :D