Spirit Drydock questions

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Q&A with Mark Conroy, Managing Director - Silversea Cruises
Explore Silversea Cruises with Mark Conroy!

Mark Conroy
Managing Director of the Americas

Mark Conroy, Managing Director of the Americas for Silversea Cruises, was here recently and answered all your questions. See what he had to say!

Learn all about Silversea Cruises.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:32 PM.
2,103 Posts
Joined May 2000
Can you tell us a bit more about plans for Spirit dry-dock? We understand it is to be made more like Muse. Will there be the same range of dining arrangements?

BTW: Kudos on having listened to guest reaction to initial Muse dining/dress code arrangements and having responded so quickly and creatively.
United Kingdom
1,982 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Indeed information on what the dry dock is to achieve would be good to have, but I'd be more interested to know why the decision was made with such short notice upsetting so many people who'd paid in full when the cruises were released. Surely non maintenance dry docks must be done with proper planning without this sort of unnecessary disruption?

Also why those affected didn't even get the courtesy of any communication to state it was happening or an apology of the cancellation. At least from personal experience this didn't happen. I do honestly think communication from Silversea is an area that needs to be improved considerably.

Lastly, welcome to the forum Mark and thanks for joining us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Colorado
1,543 Posts
Joined May 2011
Will the Spirit Veranda and Vista suites be widened in order to provide more space between the foot of the bed and the vanity/dressing table and mirror?
2,103 Posts
Joined May 2000
May I add another question re. Spirit.

The facilities for sauna and steam on the ship are embarrassing for an all inclusive luxury line. The facilities are, as I recall, coed and very small. For a fee, other facilities are available, but they too are coed with one coed not very private shower.

Can these please -- please! -- be improved at dry dock? We have friends who refuse to sail Spirit because a daily steam session is for them an integral part of the experience of a day on a luxury cruise ship.
27 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Hello all,

Was waiting to responduntil our official announcement was live. I'm pleased to announce that SilverSpirit will go into dry-dock next year in March. Major news is that SilverSpirit will lengthened by inserting a prebuilt 49-foot-long midsectionhousing 6 Silver Suites, 26 Veranda Suites and 2 Panorama Suites. Technicalupgrades will also be implemented.

Silver Spirit willfeature the look and feel from Silver Muse, including creativedining concepts, stylish décor enhancements in suites and throughout the publicspaces and outdoor areas.

For more information,please visit here.

Kind regards,
Mark

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mark Conroy
Managing Director, The Americas
Silversea Cruises
Teaneck, NJ
1,918 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
Originally posted by Mark Conroy
Hello all,

Was waiting to responduntil our official announcement was live. I'm pleased to announce that SilverSpirit will go into dry-dock next year in March. Major news is that SilverSpirit will lengthened by inserting a prebuilt 49-foot-long midsectionhousing 6 Silver Suites, 26 Veranda Suites and 2 Panorama Suites. Technicalupgrades will also be implemented.

Kind regards,
Mark
Will the stretching have any impact on people who booked suites for cruises after the dry-dock; or was the stretching taken into account when we booked? We'll be in a Vista Suite on the Silver Spirit for the 7/24/18 Copenhagen to Stockholm cruise.

Thank you for the inventive itinerary that goes to so many unusual ports.
Atlanta
5,916 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Thanks so very much Mark for sharing the Amplified Silver Spirit details with us here.

Very timely as our TA just booked us in a new "stretched" veranda suite for the Spirits fall crossing next September (London to NY).

Mark, when you know can you please let us know the names of the new
Restuarant 1 and Restaurant 2 on the Spirit.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]
Colorado
1,543 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by WesW
Very timely as our TA just booked us in a new "stretched" veranda suite for the Spirits fall crossing next September (London to NY).
What? I thought you were doing the Whisper TA.

Wes, do you know if those "stretched" suites are a little wider than what is currently on the Spirit?
Originally posted by WesW
Mark, when you know can you please let us know the names of the new Restuarant 1 and Restaurant 2 on the Spirit.
I'll bet you $100USD it'll be Atlantide and Indochine
2 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by Stumblefoot
What? I thought you were doing the Whisper TA.

Wes, do you know if those "stretched" suites are a little wider than what is currently on the Spirit?
I'll bet you $100USD it'll be Atlantide and Indochine
Taking a cue from Silver Muse, it would not be a surprise if Atlantide and Indochine is indeed the names of the restaurants. Given the adverse reaction to the lack of open dining on the Muse, I wonder if Restaurant 1 and 2 will now be the open dining area?

Having being on the Muse this summer, I am pleased that the decor in the Verandah suites will now follow that of the Muse as we liked the muted colours very much. What we did not like that much was the "tv in the mirror" which was very clever but which did not give a good viewing experience because of the reflections. Also they must make sure the soundproofing between the rooms is up to par. On the Muse, the neighbours could hear your tv even when it was on normal volume.

We are booked on the June 30 Silver Spirit Copenhagen - Stockholm and are looking forward to a much improved Silver Spirit.
367 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by FishHeadTail
Taking a cue from Silver Muse, it would not be a surprise if Atlantide and Indochine is indeed the names of the restaurants. Given the adverse reaction to the lack of open dining on the Muse, I wonder if Restaurant 1 and 2 will now be the open dining area?

Having being on the Muse this summer, I am pleased that the decor in the Verandah suites will now follow that of the Muse as we liked the muted colours very much. What we did not like that much was the "tv in the mirror" which was very clever but which did not give a good viewing experience because of the reflections. Also they must make sure the soundproofing between the rooms is up to par. On the Muse, the neighbours could hear your tv even when it was on normal volume.

We are booked on the June 30 Silver Spirit Copenhagen - Stockholm and are looking forward to a much improved Silver Spirit.
You do know that the TVs are already in the mirrors on Spirit right?
New York
1,790 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by nfcu
Laughing about that one! We were newbies on the Spirit this past April. Loved everything about it, except one evening our (main) TV went out. When we told our butler about it the following am, he replied "which one?".....hahaha! We had no idea there was another one behind the mirror across from the bed! We now know.....(giggle!)
2 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Originally posted by nfcu
No, I did not! The Muse was our first cruise with Silversea. Anyway, that is a minor issue. The sound seeping into the neighbour’s is a major annoyance. I read in another thread that they are dealing with this and soundproofing.

Anyway, kudos to Silversea for responding to these issues on the Muse including changes to the much maligned dining and dress code issues on the Muse!
London, but not in the EU (soon)
2,131 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by FishHeadTail

Anyway, kudos to Silversea for responding to these issues on the Muse including changes to the much maligned dining and dress code issues on the Muse!

That may be true but we are still having to endure it right now, the change is coming far too late.

Sent from my iPad using Forums