Maasdam 2019?

CJcruzer

There's a really unique itinerary Jan 2019 on the Maasdam visiting some new ports.

However, I have read various reports of problems on the Maasdam, and my friend who sailed on the Maasdam recently said NEVER AGAIN!

Looking for some feedback, because the itinerary is really intriguing.

There's a really unique itinerary Jan 2019 on the Maasdam visiting some new ports.

However, I have read various reports of problems on the Maasdam, and my friend who sailed on the Maasdam recently said NEVER AGAIN!

Looking for some feedback, because the itinerary is really intriguing.

What is the intriguing itinerary? what is the date/ only Jan 2019 ? I look forward to a chance to sail Maassam again.

There has been quite a bit of positive conversation about Maasdam on this board very recently (look at the various threads about Veendam and Canada/NE itineraries). I was on Maasdam for two weeks last year and have 20 days booked on her next year and I'd go on her tomorrow in a second. She is older so lacks some of the modern bells and whistles of some of the newer and larger ships, but she's a great size, great crew, and goes to fabulous places (she has several appealing itineraries coming up; I wish I could go to the South Pacific/Australia/New Zealand anytime soon). Wonderful classic ship with a lot of fans on this board who won't hesitate to book her.

OP, could you perhaps elaborate on some of the problems that you're worried about based on your friend's opinion and/or what you've researched so that people might address those more specifically?

What is the intriguing itinerary? what is the date/ only Jan 2019 ? I look forward to a chance to sail Maassam again.

The Maasdam is sailing from Ft Lauderdale through the Panama Canal, down the coast of South America over to Easter Island. Spending two days on Easter Island before going to Polynesia, New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia and then Singapore. From there it goes to Malaysia, Sri Lanka and the Maldives. Then she travels to HK and back to Singapore with stops in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. From Singapore she visits Eastern Malaysia on the island of Borneo and Brunei with stops in Indonesia, Australia and then Papua New Guinea. She goes back to Australia and New Zealand. On her homeward journey she sailing through Polynesia before heading to SF. Definitely, an incredible itinerary!!!

The Maasdam is sailing from Ft Lauderdale through the Panama Canal, down the coast of South America over to Easter Island. Spending two days on Easter Island before going to Polynesia, New Zealand, Australia, Indonesia and then Singapore. From there it goes to Malaysia, Sri Lanka and the Maldives. Then she travels to HK and back to Singapore with stops in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. From Singapore she visits Eastern Malaysia on the island of Borneo and Brunei with stops in Indonesia, Australia and then Papua New Guinea. She goes back to Australia and New Zealand. On her homeward journey she sailing through Polynesia before heading to SF. Definitely, an incredible itinerary!!!

Wow, that is amazing. Wish I was brave enough to attempt that as a solo but I am not.

thanks for sharing tghe info about it. Sounds outstanding

There has been quite a bit of positive conversation about Maasdam on this board very recently (look at the various threads about Veendam and Canada/NE itineraries). I was on Maasdam for two weeks last year and have 20 days booked on her next year and I'd go on her tomorrow in a second. She is older so lacks some of the modern bells and whistles of some of the newer and larger ships, but she's a great size, great crew, and goes to fabulous places (she has several appealing itineraries coming up; I wish I could go to the South Pacific/Australia/New Zealand anytime soon). Wonderful classic ship with a lot of fans on this board who won't hesitate to book her.

OP, could you perhaps elaborate on some of the problems that you're worried about based on your friend's opinion and/or what you've researched so that people might address those more specifically?

I asked my friend specifically what SHE encountered. Loud banging but then again, I believe she may have been below the galley area - people complaining of A/C issues (not her), and toilets being plugged/backed up. In all fairness, she said she heard some people had flushed things which are not allowed :rolleyes: - I mentioned that often there is a "delayed" flush in the system (which I have encountered but is no biggie, does not stall for long).

I asked my friend specifically what SHE encountered. Loud banging but then again, I believe she may have been below the galley area - people complaining of A/C issues (not her), and toilets being plugged/backed up. In all fairness, she said she heard some people had flushed things which are not allowed :rolleyes: - I mentioned that often there is a "delayed" flush in the system (which I have encountered but is no biggie, does not stall for long).

Ship definitely happens, on Maasdam but on ships of all ages and sizes as well. There's not much you can do when someone flushes something down the john that doesn't belong there. When I was on Veendam earlier this year, the toilets in our section of the ship didn't flush for a bit, which is never a good situation (especially when you're expecting the thing to flush and it just doesn't). This issue was addressed and fixed pretty quickly though and that was really the only major unpleasant thing we've experienced. I'd sail Veendam again too (in fact had her booked again for next year, same cabin, but cruise was cancelled by HAL). For the noise issue, if you select your own cabin, just look at the deck plans carefully to see what's above and around you. There's also a website that gives the "facts" about "HAL" where people comment about and post pictures of specific cabins that might also help you pick something that works for you. The ship isn't for everyone and you won't find some of the attractions on her (BB King, Tamarind restaurant, NY Pizza, etc.) that some of the other ships have, but if the itinerary is really appealing to you, I encourage you to give her a try.

The first part of this from Lauderdale to Polynesia, 34 days I think that they're calling Kon-Tiki Adventure or somesuch I would LOVE to do. I really would like a PanCan cruise that turns left at the Pacific Ocean (yes, I know such a cruise exists on at least one other line) and does the west coast of South America. Easter Island would be great too. Really wish I had the time and money for this sailing. Or Australia, or New Zealand..... :D

Spent 4 weeks on the Maasdam earlier this year and loved it. Planning on joining her again in 2019. We have sailed on about 8 HAL ships and she is one of our favorites. No problems except toilet didn't flush a couple of times but was fixed within minutes of a phone call. Only downside is that it doesn't have the Tamarind!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

Is the Kon Tiki itinerary offered each year? I saw it listed for 2018 but am looking for 2019 and our 25th wedding anniversary. I had planned on the RT from San Diego but this itinerary would definitely be preferred!

I also have been looking at this cruise. And hoping it is repeated in 2019 (the timing would be better for me) The hal rep I spoke to about it said hal was "trying it out this year". I guess like the VOV cruise. If people are interested I guess it will be repeated.

I hope so. It looks like a great cruise.

Sea42, I am interested in this same cruise for 2019, maybe some one will know. Maybe Holland America would know! Will keep checking in here! We are celebrating our 70th birthdays that year.

I also have been looking at this cruise. And hoping it is repeated in 2019 (the timing would be better for me) The hal rep I spoke to about it said hal was "trying it out this year". I guess like the VOV cruise. If people are interested I guess it will be repeated.

I hope so. It looks like a great cruise.

I called also and expressed our interested. Maybe if I call everyday.....

HAL has started listing some of the fall of 2019 cruises. No Kon Tiki yet but I'm still hoping!

I am still waiting to see if Zuiderdam is doing it's transatlantic in April 2019. DH and I decided on that one. (If she is doing it!)