Done with Nassau

JusBeachn

What are your thoughts on Nassau?

We've traveled here a couple of times, and find it to be one of the worst Ports of Call. You are harassed by the locals as soon as you leave the ship. Traffic around the pier is horrible. About 20 years ago this may have been a nice place to visit, but now is just a place to get drunk or buy cheap souveniers.

We have done the Atlantis and Melia Beach Resort a couple of times.

After our last cruise I told my wife we wont be getting off the ship next time if we go through here again.

We don't consider Nassau a port we want to visit but it is on many itineraries. There are nice beach options away from the port area. Our last couple of visits we walked up the hill from the waterfront and took an informal tour of the Graycliff Hotel and a couple other spots. Very interesting hotel with some history. I enjoy their cigars and they also have a cigar factory tour I'm told. You can also book a tour of the hotel through the ship that includes a visit to their spectacular wine cellar which is the second most valuable in the world if I remember.

We then head for the Hilton beach bar and relax there before returning to the ship.

As with most cruise ports getting away from the immediate port area and the Main Street is important. Or just don't book a cruise that makes a stop at Nassau! There - problem solved!!!

We like Nassau, but we don't really spend time in the immediate port area. Last time, we went on a Rum Runners tour by Islandz tours and really liked it. They took us to Graycliff, which was fascinating in itself..and next time we find ourselves in Nassau we will definitely check out Graycliff again. The Queen's Staircase and library are neat. Sandals offers day passes, as well as other resorts. It's definitely not a fun port for kids, unless you stop at Atlantis.

Actually 20 years ago it wasn't that great. I was there on a cruise with my mom. Our day was fine. However, we were there until very late so we went to the Atlantis in the evening. We loved it! Plus, my mom loved slot machines and she won there. She had so much fun. A great memory I have of our evening at the Atlantis. Given that, I most likely wouldn't cruise there again.

5 years ago we were there with no plan as to what to do. We ended up renting one scooter (for 2 of us) for $75 and just cruised around. We had a blast even though we had no idea what we were looking at! We would do that again but research places to check out beforehand. After returning the scooters we had a snack and drink at one of the bars in town and then went back to the ship. Considering we had NO idea what we were doing, we had a great time! (That was our first port on our first cruise - we just didn't know!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How is Melia Beach Resort ? Would you recommend it and if so what is the price for a day pass ?

What are your thoughts on Nassau?

We've traveled here a couple of times, and find it to be one of the worst Ports of Call. You are harassed by the locals as soon as you leave the ship. Traffic around the pier is horrible. About 20 years ago this may have been a nice place to visit, but now is just a place to get drunk or buy cheap souveniers.

We have done the Atlantis and Melia Beach Resort a couple of times.

After our last cruise I told my wife we wont be getting off the ship next time if we go through here again.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yea Nassau port area is pretty bad, but the great thing about Nassau is there is a lot of options for a variety of budgets.

I actually enjoyed taking a cab to the free beach next to Atlantis last time. The waves were huge. Have also taken the jitney down to the Melia area and had a good time. I have taken the jitney to the fish fry and walked back thru Junkanoo.

Just stay away from the straw market and you will be good.

Why do you say stay away from the straw market?

Yea Nassau port area is pretty bad, but the great thing about Nassau is there is a lot of options for a variety of budgets.

I actually enjoyed taking a cab to the free beach next to Atlantis last time. The waves were huge. Have also taken the jitney down to the Melia area and had a good time. I have taken the jitney to the fish fry and walked back thru Junkanoo.

Just stay away from the straw market and you will be good.

The Straw market is terrible, my daughter was so upset after going there. The vendors are extremely pushy, and then one started insulting us when we politely declined purchasing anything. But that was just one, other vendors were not rude, just very pushy. I would not recommend going there at all.

Well then you would not want to go to Haiti I had to yell at this guy because he kept pulling me trying to get me to come to his little area to buy something. I was politely telling him I would be right there but he just would stop. After that I was done ...

The Straw market is terrible, my daughter was so upset after going there. The vendors are extremely pushy, and then one started insulting us when we politely declined purchasing anything. But that was just one, other vendors were not rude, just very pushy. I would not recommend going there at all.

• 4 weeks later...

We're most likely going there next month...I'm not excited about this stop but what can you do...I really just want to go to the beach - can anyone recommend a nice one that isn't too hard (or expensive) to get to? Are the local taxis reliable, does one negotiate the fare up front and how can I make sure we'll get back alright? I'm not finding as much for this location as far as private tour companies etc....