Visa for Barcelona?

EllieinNJ

I just booked my flight on Delta to Barcelona for next May. After it went through online, a message appeared that said we may need visas for Barcelona. We are born and bred Americans. Has this ever happened to anyone else? We flew to Madrid a few years ago and never needed visas.

Could be a general reminder for all passengers in case some nationalities may need a passport visa on its destination.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would go with that. Along with they do not know where you are going next.

Been there multiple times, including earlier this year. Nothing other than a good ole US Passport.

Actually you do need a Schengen visa but this will be issued at arrival at passport control (aka immigration). This visa is valid for all countries which are members of the Schengen community (all EU countries in the Med but not Turkey or UK).

So relax, no application for a visa needed ahead of your trip!

steamboats

Actually you do need a Schengen visa but this will be issued at arrival at passport control (aka immigration).
That's not a visa; it's just a passport stamp. Americans and citizens of other Annex II countries are allowed to enter the Schengen Area visa-free for 90 days. It's a visa exemption, so no visa is issued, not even a visa on arrival.

That's not a visa; it's just a passport stamp. Americans and citizens of other Annex II countries are allowed to enter the Schengen Area visa-free for 90 days. It's a visa exemption, so no visa is issued, not even a visa on arrival.

Technically it´s a visa but simplyfied process like the Visa Waiver Program for us Europeans in the US (plus ESTA). The stamp is the visa allowing the passport holder to stay for 90 days within the Schengen area.

steamboats

Technically it´s a visa but simplyfied process like the Visa Waiver Program for us Europeans in the US (plus ESTA). The stamp is the visa allowing the passport holder to stay for 90 days within the Schengen area.
"Visa waiver" and "visa exemption" mean that you don't get a visa, not even technically. Unless you define "visa" very broadly as any sort of document associated with a visitor's permission to enter, but the regulatory texts do not adopt this definition, and they are incompatible with this definition.

There is of course such a thing as a Schengen visa, but the stamp that (most) Americans get in their passport upon arrival is not that thing.

If you travel to the US with ESTA, that is not a visa, and if they stamp your passport upon arrival, that is not a visa, either. You are visiting the US without a visa. That's the whole point of the Visa Waiver Program.

Thanks for your responses. I was just thinking maybe it was because I was flying into Barcelona and flying back to JFK from Copenhagen. We are doing two cruises, the med Epic and the baltic Breakaway.

That might be the reason why you got a message that you may need a visa. You don't need a visa just because you are arriving and leaving from different places but maybe the system don't see your return ticket and then the system think that you might need a visa.

That happened to my Brother once when he should visit Sweden. The system couldn't see his return ticket so at the airport they said that he needed a visa for Sweden. (He had a return ticket but even if it had been a one way trip a visa wasn't necessary since he has both American and Swedish citizenship!)