"Special" clothes to pack for Antarctica

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Silversea Cruises

Read Silversea Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you.

Find Your Silversea Roll Call

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:27 AM.
Sunshine Coast, Australia
493 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by WesW
PaulMCO & Keith, very helpful Antarctica clothes posts, thanks. After, readying your posts, we would prefer to rent boots for our Silver Cloud Antarctica voyage in late Feb. Alas, since this is also a repositioning voyage for the cloud from Antarctica to South Africa, it is the only Antarctica SS voyage that does not have the rental option. So, we will buy the Bogs boots brand (men & women) and devote one carry on bag for these boots.
Col Wes, we have needed the boots for 4 expedition cruises in the past, and what we do is buy gum boots from our local hardware store (like Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart) usually costing $ 20 - we then leave them on board - the staff donate them to villages along the west coast of Africa. And you have more room in your case going home !
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
IBERIA 1969 Sydney -Fiji - Sydney
ALEXANDR PUSHKIN 1988 3 day Bicentennial TALL SHIPS cruise Sydney
SIKUMI 2006 8 day Inside Passage Alaska
ATHALA II 2008 8 days Galapagos cruise
ORION July 2009 Broome - Darwin
SILVER EXPLORER (PRINCE ALBERT II) August 2010 Arctic
ORION December 2010 Antarctic -Mawsons Hut
SILVER SHADOW July 2011 - Incheon to Anchorage
SILVER WIND July 2012 - Black Sea -Istanbul to Istanbul
SILVER CLOUD November 2012 Barbados -Amazon -Barbados
SILVER EXPLORER March/April 2013 Capetown to Accra Ghana
SILVER EXPLORER July 2013 Reykjavik Iceland to Churchill Canada
SILVER EXPLORER September 2014 Sapporo Japan to Fiji 30days B2B
Belmond ORCAELLA December 2014 Burma River cruise 12 days Mandalay to Bagan
SILVER CLOUD June 2015 18 days Copenhagen/Archangel/Copenhagen
SILVER EXPLORER September 2015 Nassau to Guayaquil 24 days B2B
CALEDONIAN SKY April 2016 Japan Cherry Blossom Cruise 13 days. NEVER AGAIN !
SILVER WHISPER August 2016 Stockholm/SPB/Copenhagen/Southampton B2B 18 days
SILVER EXPLORER March 2017 Ushuaia to Cape Town - Cape to Cape 22 days

FUTURE CRUISES :

Atlanta
5,914 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Dr.Ron, Ann; Thanks very much for the Gum Boots recommendation and replying to my response to Keith and PaulMCO. We especially like that you leave your boots on board for good use by folks in need in West Africa. (and the Cloud Expedition will be heading to the coast of West Africa on the voyage following ours.).

Considering JPalbny and your experienced based recommendation for Gum Boots (and ultimate donation of the bo0ts), this is
what we will plan to do now. Ida, as a Master Gardener already used daily a pair of Gum boots for her garden passion, but we will just go ahead and buy two new pair.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]
Atlanta
5,914 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
TakingFlight, please see this cut/paste info taken from the important information tab on the guest information section of your booking (walking sticks (trekking poles are listed as optional)

Protective lotion for lips, hands and face. Reflected glare
from sun, water, ice and snow, can be intense.
Wind chill can be a significant feature of a polar expedition.
When the wind is constant, you can be robbed of body heat
quickly. Adequate wind and rain gear is vital. Cotton is ideal
in warm weather, however, once it becomes wet, it will drain
your body heat. Bring wool or synthetics such as Capilene,
MTS and Thermax instead. Always test layers before a trip.
The outer layer should fit easily over the inside ones without
binding and bunching up.
OPTIONAL FIELD GEAR

Camera, film, memory cards and extra batteries. Bring
more film and/or memory cards than you think you will
need. Certain film types will be difficult to purchase or
unavailable once the trip begins. Test your camera before
leaving home to ensure it is working properly, and pack the
manual for reference, should unexpected problems arise.

Consider bringing a camera beanbag to support your
300mm+ lens for your camera’s stabilisation.

Binoculars are an essential part of your field gear and will
enhance your experience ashore. Purchase a compact set
and test them out before travelling.

Motion sickness remedies.

Spare contact lenses or glasses.

A few large zip-seal bags to keep camera gear dry whilst
riding in the Zodiac and during wet shore landings.

Reading and writing materials.

Insect repellent.

A lightweight, collapsible, walking staff (also called a
trekking pole) provides a sense of security, increased
balance and confidence when walking on ice, snow and
rugged terrain.

Ski-Mask, which may be helpful in snowy conditions while in
the Antarctic.

We are taking our Leki collapsible sticks for our Feb 18th Antarctica voyage.

Look forward to hearing about your Antarctica trip.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]
usa
2,815 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
I haven't been to Antartica yet, but in the Arctic I was very cold. I admit I am from Florida but I also ski in Colorado so for me the key, was as has been mentioned, layers.
I did use a neck gaiters which I could pull up to my nose when we were going fast in the zodiac. I also did get gloves with fingers that open as has been suggested. It made picture taking easier. I suggest you get very waterproof gloves, holding on to the zodiac in the spray your hands did get wet.
I also brought hand warmers and foot warmers, the kind in the small packages you shake to activate. They were a life saver on long zodiac rides when you were sitting in the cold. I had plenty left over and gave them to the crew.
I did buy my own rubber boots. I wanted to make certain there was enough tread and that they fit well. We did a lot of walking in them and I wanted traction and fit. They need to be high enough as well, because there is nothing worse than stepping out into the water only to find your boots filling up with water!
Port Saint Lucie - FL
2,344 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Just to add a few -- we ended up buying our boots as we have used them twice. They also make good horse (in our case mule) mucking boots.

Regarding bean bags... If you have a large telephoto lens (a must for the polar bears) -- a must have is a mono pod for stabilizing on board the ship when outside. The ship will get close but not that close.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

SF Bay Area, CA, USA
1,113 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
A question on the SilverSeas Backpack since my wife wants to take trekking poles - does anyone have a closeup picture of the backpack? Does it have a way to strap the poles on (like my backpack) for when we ride in the zodiacs? Or, what do you do with your poles on the zodiac?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
All our Cruise Pictures

1989 Dawn Princess - Eastern Caribbean ..............................1990 Dawn Princess - Alaska............................................ ......2001 RCCL Voyager of the Seas - Western Caribbean
2002 RCCL Radiance of the Seas - Alaska..............................2003 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera.........................................20 04 Tahitian Princess - French Polynesia
2005 RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean.......2005 Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal..........................................2 006 Regal Princess - Alaska
2007 Tahitian Princess - Marquesas........................................2 008 Coral Princess - Alaska Northbound and Southbound.......2009 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera
2010 Sea Princess - Alaska RT from SF..................................2010 Island Princess - Pacific Coastal........................................201 1 Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal 05/19/11
2011 Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal 09/24/11........................2012 Star Princess - Pacific Coastal........................................... 2012 Island Princess - Alaska Inside Passage
09/24/12 Star Princess - Pacific Coastal..................................02/08/13 Ocean Princess - French Polynesia...............................04/06/14 Grand Princess - California Coastal
01/03/15 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera................................10/17/15 Grand Princess - CA Coastal..........................................0 4/02/16 Grand Princess - SF to Hawaii RT
12/17/16 Royal Clipper - BVI Christmas Cruise.......................06/27/17 Pacific Princess - Midnight Sun and Spitsbergen..........10/15/17 Grand Princess - California Coastal
7/05/18 Grand Princess - Alaska RT from SF..........................12/22/18 Silver Cloud Expedition - Antarctica...............................
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
1,113 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
I'd love to hear a description of the process in regards to your penguin poop smeared boots and rain pants when you get back to the ship on the zodiac! Hopefully it is not that the crew breaks out a ships fire hose and turns it on you to hose you down.

After getting washed off, what do you do with your boots? Are there lockers or do you bring them back to your cabin? I have a picture in my mind of 100 identical looking boots all lined up and no one knowing which are theirs after the first zodiac trip.

Thanks in advance, an Antarctic future first timer here.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
All our Cruise Pictures

1989 Dawn Princess - Eastern Caribbean ..............................1990 Dawn Princess - Alaska............................................ ......2001 RCCL Voyager of the Seas - Western Caribbean
2002 RCCL Radiance of the Seas - Alaska..............................2003 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera.........................................20 04 Tahitian Princess - French Polynesia
2005 RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean.......2005 Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal..........................................2 006 Regal Princess - Alaska
2007 Tahitian Princess - Marquesas........................................2 008 Coral Princess - Alaska Northbound and Southbound.......2009 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera
2010 Sea Princess - Alaska RT from SF..................................2010 Island Princess - Pacific Coastal........................................201 1 Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal 05/19/11
2011 Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal 09/24/11........................2012 Star Princess - Pacific Coastal........................................... 2012 Island Princess - Alaska Inside Passage
09/24/12 Star Princess - Pacific Coastal..................................02/08/13 Ocean Princess - French Polynesia...............................04/06/14 Grand Princess - California Coastal
01/03/15 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera................................10/17/15 Grand Princess - CA Coastal..........................................0 4/02/16 Grand Princess - SF to Hawaii RT
12/17/16 Royal Clipper - BVI Christmas Cruise.......................06/27/17 Pacific Princess - Midnight Sun and Spitsbergen..........10/15/17 Grand Princess - California Coastal
7/05/18 Grand Princess - Alaska RT from SF..........................12/22/18 Silver Cloud Expedition - Antarctica...............................
Arizona
446 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Originally posted by websailor
A question on the SilverSeas Backpack since my wife wants to take trekking poles - does anyone have a closeup picture of the backpack? Does it have a way to strap the poles on (like my backpack) for when we ride in the zodiacs? Or, what do you do with your poles on the zodiac?
I'm looking at three Silversea backpacks and all three are built different. Only one has a spot for a tripod or trecking poles. Just bring your own backpack and you will be happy. We leave the new backpacks in the room when we leave (we already have more than we could ever use)

It seems that everybody just piles their trecking poles and walking canes in the middle of the zodiac. Don't give it too much importance, you will figure it all out on your first landing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
( 12) SILVERSEA Cruise Shadow-Alaska 2011, Whisper-Central American 2013, Silver Galapagos 2013, Wind-Africa/Canary Islands/Spain 2014, London-London 2016 Cloud Athens-Rome -2014, Mobsasa-Cape town-2015 Explorer 2015 Lisbon- Portsmouth, Muse 2017 Buenos Aires, Argentina - Key West Florida
(2) SEABOURN Cruise Sojourn, South America 2013, Quest, Boston 2015
(2) CELEBRITY Cruise Mediterranean2010/ 2008
(1) UNIWORLD RIVER Cruise (S.S.) Antoinette -Castles along the Rhine 2014,
(4) SCENIC RIVER Cruise Scenic Gem Paris to Paris 2016, Scenic Amber 2017 Prague - Budapest, Scenic Eclipse 2018 Cuba to Cuba, 2019 Buenos Aires, Argentina to Antarctica
Port Saint Lucie - FL
2,344 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by websailor
I'd love to hear a description of the process in regards to your penguin poop smeared boots and rain pants when you get back to the ship on the zodiac! Hopefully it is not that the crew breaks out a ships fire hose and turns it on you to hose you down.

After getting washed off, what do you do with your boots? Are there lockers or do you bring them back to your cabin? I have a picture in my mind of 100 identical looking boots all lined up and no one knowing which are theirs after the first zodiac trip.

Thanks in advance, an Antarctic future first timer here.
Boots -- on first sea day-- the crew will put a tag number on each boot for you with a little cubby hole assigned in the prep/changing room. They will also make you bring these and your pants and jacket where they will vacuum the clothes and wash the boots. Key is to get anything that will contaminate the antarctic ecosystem.

On leaving the boat you will likely walk through a tray of disinfectant. On return - I think same. There are water spigots in the room where everyone will remove and clean their cloths. Remove boots clean poop and put back into the cubby.

A good idea is to bring a pair of slippers this way you can make your way back without being in bare feet. MHO

Sorry about the arctic Polar Bear comment as the previous poster brought up the arctic... But it also applies to photographing whales and other wildlife you will see on the bergs (crab eater seals)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Brisbane, Australia
317 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
An unpleasant reality is that some folks browse the tagged boot rack seeking a better boot.
Quite an issue when you are scheduled for shore and your cubby is empty .
I asked a crew member to please find me another pair.. asap….and it was so...
It seems they usually have some extras that don't go out in the bin for general distribution… :-)
Next time I bring nice boots I will paint the soles with fluoro paint
SF Bay Area, CA
1,827 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by tgh
An unpleasant reality is that some folks browse the tagged boot rack seeking a better boot.
Quite an issue when you are scheduled for shore and your cubby is empty .
I asked a crew member to please find me another pair.. asap….and it was so...
It seems they usually have some extras that don't go out in the bin for general distribution… :-)
Next time I bring nice boots I will paint the soles with fluoro paint
Since we bought our boots, l am wondering if we should mark ours someway. Sad that people actually steal from fellow passengers?
Can we take them back to the cabin with us?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheryl
08/04/19 Oceania Nautica - British Isles, Iceland, Greenland RT from Southampton
03/13/19 Majestic Princess - New Zealand RT from Sydney
12/22/18 Silversea Cloud Expedition - Antarctica RT from Ushuaia
09/15/18 Majestic Princess - Fiji, Vanuatu, New Caledonia RT from Sydney
07/05/18 Grand Princess - Alaska RT from SF
10/15/17 Grand Princess - California Coastal RT from SF
06/27/17 Pacific Princess - Norway, Spitsbergen, Murmansk RT from Dover
12/17/16 Royal Clipper - BVI Christmas Cruise RT from Barbados Pictures
04/02/16 Grand Princess - Hawaii RT from San Francisco Pictures
10/17/15 Grand Princess - CA Coastal RT from SF Pictures
01/03/15 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera RT from SF Pictures
04/06/14 Grand Princess - California Coastal RT from SF
02/08/13 Ocean Princess - French Polynesia RT from Papeete
09/24/12 Star Princess - Pacific Coastal
05/16/12 Island Princess - Alaska Inside Passage RT from Vancouver
05/13/12 Star Princess - Pacific Coastal
09/24/11 Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal
05/19/11 Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal
10/04/10 Island Princess - Pacific Coastal
05/22/10 Sea Princess - Alaska RT from SF
04/17/09 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera RT from SF
05/19/08 Coral Princess - Alaska Voyage of the Glaciers Southbound
05/12/08 Coral Princess - Alaska Voyage of the Glaciers Northbound
01/16/07 Tahitian Princess - French Polynesia & Marquesas Islands
05/26/06 Regal Princess - Alaska RT San Francisco (Haines, Sitka)
05/12/05 Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal
04/24/05 RCI Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean RT from Miami
04/17/04 Tahitian Princess - French Polynesia & Cook Islands
04/19/03 Star Princess - Mexican Riviera RT Long Beach
06/08/02 RCI Radiance of the Seas - Alaska RT from Vancouver
04/22/01 RCI Voyager of the Seas - Western Caribbean RT from Miami
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
1,113 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by carefreecruise
I'm looking at three Silversea backpacks and all three are built different........
Thanks, this helps a lot. I won't worry about our trekking poles then.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
All our Cruise Pictures

SF Bay Area, CA, USA
1,113 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by PaulMCO
Boots -- on first sea day-- the crew will put a tag number on each boot for you with a little cubby hole assigned in the prep/changing room......
Ahhhh, this helps a lot. So we do not have to bring them back to the room which is great because we had a bit of worry about the smell. I fully appreciate and agree with not contaminating any of the antarctic island ecosystem.

The slippers idea is brilliant!

We were brainstorming a way to mark our boots (that we bought). It helps if the crew tags the boots. I think I'll still try to make some very distinctive marking on them in light of the next comments.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
All our Cruise Pictures

Brisbane, Australia
317 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by cflutist
Since we bought our boots, l am wondering if we should mark ours someway. Sad that people actually steal from fellow passengers?
Can we take them back to the cabin with us?
Some folks do wash them and take them back.
Folks seeking to upgrade are probably assuming all the boots are on loan from silversea and although it is quite poor form, they probably don't see the behaviour as stealing .. :-)
Our one Antarctic trip was many years back and there was a broad range of boot quality in the bin.. first in best dressed.. :-)

Another thing not mentioned is the challenge of rugging up in the cabin and dissolving from heat exhaustion waiting downstairs at disembarkation.
Leave everything undone and also practice quickly zipping up and donning the life vest just as the tender arrives..
United Kingdom
1,979 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Originally posted by RachelG
You would have to have an amazing telephoto lens if you were trying to take pictures of polar bears from Antarctica!

Lol

The penguins are happy about that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Atlanta
5,914 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Thanks to websailor, cfflutist, takingflight and others on this Antarctica thread for asking very helpful questions about the Silversea Antarctica experience.

And special kudos go to Rojaan19, PaulMCO, tgh, spinnaker2 and carefreecruise who have provided very helpful answers and addtional Anarctica/expedition cruising answers that will assist us when we board the Cloud in February. We plan on taking hand/feet warmers as Candy/spinnaker2 suggests, and also bringing two pairs of "mudroom" slippers as PaulMCO recommends too.

And for those who want to view a super vid on the Silversea home page about expedition cruising in general, pls see this marvelous SteveMcCurry
vid (first vid at link). Right below the McCurry video is

Silversea Chairman Manfredi Lefebvre d’Ovidio and Conrad Combrink, Vice President of Expedition Planning & Strategic development, discussing the origin of expedition cruising on SS.

https://www.steveandsilversea.com/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]
Tulsa OK
7,653 Posts
Joined May 2006
There is a mud room with individual slots for each suite for storing the boots. It has an area with hoses and scrub brushes to get penguin poop or whatever else you might have stepped in off. At the beginning of the cruise they put a tag with your suite number on each boot.

As far as backpacks and poles, the most recent version does not have a way to attach the poles. Everyone just carried theirs. I bring the backpacks home and donate to the caring center at our church. They are always needing them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Atlanta
5,914 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Thanks Rachel for the good fidelity on Silversea's expedition ship mud room operation including boot use/care, backpack and pole use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]