NCL Insurance vs Private Travel Insurance

dltvermont

We have always taken the cruise lines insurance but the more I read, the more I think I should be dropping that and buying private insurance. Ive looked into it but the choices are staggering. On insuremytrip only two options (both Nationwide) have cancel for any reason and the higher priced one is only 18/each more than NCL insurance. Seems that would be the way to go!

Looking at NCL's coverage, it appears they have cancel for any reason as well. Has anyone done an in depth comparison that can summarize differences for me and make my decision easier on which to go with?

Are there better options than those listed on insuremytrip that I should look into?

Thanks!

Plans have many differences. it's hard to compare other than on the basics. But you are right, the default from NCL is pretty basic.

I have Transamerica, which was available when I booked with a TA. It cover trip interruption, cancellation and delay. baggage loss. Emergency Evac/repatriation and medical expense. (remember your health insurance is NOT likely going to cover the high costs on a ship or at a port very well.) It has 24/7 assistance. Pre departure cancellation for illness, injury or death.

I do use the sites that compare plans and quotes from several providers.

If you want "cancel for any reason" that's more expensive and only some providers offer it, you must go find it. Most of these only cover 75% of the amount you will lose though.

I haven't had any experience with the claims process, but I am insuring my upcoming trip with Nationwide, and after doing a comparison shop, they provided the most coverage for the least cost for my situation. I didn't opt for their "any reason" cancellation, so without it, it actually provides more coverage than the NCL insurance at about 1/4 the cost of the NCL insurance.

I haven't had any experience with the claims process, but I am insuring my upcoming trip with Nationwide, and after doing a comparison shop, they provided the most coverage for the least cost for my situation. I didn't opt for their "any reason" cancellation, so without it, it actually provides more coverage than the NCL insurance at about 1/4 the cost of the NCL insurance.

I've purchased Nationwide several times. Filed a claim once and was quite pleased.

Go with the Nationwide as they are the only ones offering port protection that I am aware of. Look at the Luxury policy because of the higher payouts. If the port is cancelled before the cruise, you get $1250pp. If cancelled after the cruise starts or is 3 or more hours late to a port, you get $250pp.

I had to use it in Jan due to missing Grand Cayman. They paid pretty quickly. My friend that just got off the Breeze is getting $2500 back due to Key West being cancelled.

Dave

We have always taken the cruise lines insurance but the more I read, the more I think I should be dropping that and buying private insurance. Ive looked into it but the choices are staggering. On insuremytrip only two options (both Nationwide) have cancel for any reason and the higher priced one is only 18/each more than NCL insurance. Seems that would be the way to go!

Looking at NCL's coverage, it appears they have cancel for any reason as well. Has anyone done an in depth comparison that can summarize differences for me and make my decision easier on which to go with?

Are there better options than those listed on insuremytrip that I should look into?

Thanks!

We use Travel Insured International.

https://www.travelinsured.com/

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I actually found a cancel for any reason policy that pays 70% that you can purchase anytime before your final payment. Nationwide cruise choice. for our 11 day cruise it will be about $225. NCL's insurance would be $300. We were looking because first grand baby is due two weeks after we return, plus we have decided at our age we should have travel insurance.

I don't buy it, and it's worth noting that if you have a travel credit card they often offer travel protection included. I use a Chase Sapphire Preferred. Even beyond the fact that I'm covered through my CC, I always figured that losing out on a cruise for an emergency is better than paying 2-400$ each time. I've been on something like 15 cruises and never bought the insurance, so I figured I'm something like 5-6k ahead of the game.

------------

Sapphire Preferred:

Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption Insurance

If your trip is cancelled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.2Learn More

In relation to the date you made your cruise reservation, how long do you have to purchase from an independent agency? I hate to pay for a policy that I won't be using for over a year.

It depends on the policy, but for full coverage, most require you purchase the insurance on or before final payment date.

Go with the Nationwide as they are the only ones offering port protection that I am aware of. Look at the Luxury policy because of the higher payouts. If the port is cancelled before the cruise, you get $1250pp. If cancelled after the cruise starts or is 3 or more hours late to a port, you get $250pp.

I had to use it in Jan due to missing Grand Cayman. They paid pretty quickly. My friend that just got off the Breeze is getting $2500 back due to Key West being cancelled.

Dave

Sorry Dave... it is not per person. It's a one time payment. I have the same insurance.. I just bought it for Dec this year. The question I have with this benefit is will it matter if one did not insure before the hurricanes??

Port of Call Change

If the cruise line changes your itinerary prior to departure and you elect to embark on the voyage, this plan will provide a one time payment of $1,250 to compensate you for this inconvenience (see coverage details below)

Dave, I apologize. I just looked at the top of the policy and it says all coverage limits are per person. Sorry... I really believed it was a single payment.

Edited by vince_g
Update due to new info..

I don't buy it, and it's worth noting that if you have a travel credit card they often offer travel protection included. I use a Chase Sapphire Preferred. Even beyond the fact that I'm covered through my CC, I always figured that losing out on a cruise for an emergency is better than paying 2-400$ each time. I've been on something like 15 cruises and never bought the insurance, so I figured I'm something like 5-6k ahead of the game.

------------

Sapphire Preferred:

Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption Insurance

If your trip is cancelled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.2Learn More

I'm with you on this except for one important item, i just reviewed my coverage through Barcaly Travel Card. They are covering everything you mentioned except for one item, "Emergency Medical Evac" this is a big deal as if you get sick, it can cost upward of $75k to get you to land.

Anybody ever make a successful Nationwide "Shipboard Service Disruption" claim for a canceled port due to not being able to tender (i.e. as is somewhat common with GSC)? I know it wouldn't count under the Pre-Departure Port of Call coverage, but the language for the Service disruption is vague (since it does cover late arrivals to a port by 3 or more hours, but doesn't explicitly state completely missing a port being covered).

Nationwide is the one that came up for me when I was searching as well. Now kicking myself for not jumping on it sooner as NCL just sent our new itinerary yesterday and its totally new islands.

The one hold up now is that I had been searching for cancel for any reason but the more I read, the more I see people saying its really not worth the extra money. If I dont take that, the cost is actually CHEAPER than NCL insurance for this trip rather than equal to.

I read the title too fast, thought it said pirate insurance - arrr!

Anyway, our next cruise in February is the first one I bought the insurance for mostly just for the medical coverage. Heard the horror story of a person racking up a $4000 sick bay bill from a stomach bug on our last cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave

I need to start using an approach like this as a good "side bet" !! :D

Tom

I also use my credit card for trip protection. I will usually just buy another medical plus emergency evaluation for around $40 for two people. I do 4-5 vacations a year. The savings add up quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on the policy, but for full coverage, most require you purchase the insurance on or before final payment date.

We buy wiht GENERALI Travel Insurance (used to be CSA and still shows up as CSA on the comparison sites like Insure My Trip) but they have new & better plans than CSA with higher coverages on their website: https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/view-travel-insurance-plans.html

PROS:

1. For far out bookings, what we like is their pre existing conditions feature is available up to final cruise deposit.

2. GENERALI's covered individuals is more extensive--its just about all family members except cousins. And they are covered for trip cancellation/interruptions even if they are not traveling /named on the policy. Someone mentioned having to buy 'any reason' coverage for a grand child's birth. Check GENERALI's policy on their website but I think they are covered under standard policy.

Private Insurance is mostly less expensive than NCL Insurance. One of the insurance agent said to me that NCL know mostly about cruising but not specially toward insurance. Compare different plans and see which one to buy. There are other sites like Insured My Trip, etc.