Nugget Creek Falls Trail in Juneau

dsw39

We want to walk to the falls from the visitor center. I havn't found a distance for this walk. We will have plenty of time as we will arrive on our own. Photo Point Trail is .3 miles which we will also do. I have read all the info on taking the bus to the glacier seems very straight forward.

We want to walk to the falls from the visitor center. I havn't found a distance for this walk. We will have plenty of time as we will arrive on our own. Photo Point Trail is .3 miles which we will also do. I have read all the info on taking the bus to the glacier seems very straight forward.

I don't recall the exact distance, but I know it took me about 20 minutes each way (a little less than that if I recall). So if I were to "budget" time for the walk, assuming you do not have any mobility issues, I would allow for 20 minutes each way plus the time you spend at the falls itself.

It is an easy walk for the most part.

I don't recall the exact distance, but I know it took me about 20 minutes each way (a little less than that if I recall). So if I were to "budget" time for the walk, assuming you do not have any mobility issues, I would allow for 20 minutes each way plus the time you spend at the falls itself.

It is an easy walk for the most part.

I agree. I think it took about 20 minutes. Of course it depends if you are walking with a purpose or just strolling. 20 minutes is walking at a regular pace with a few stops for pics, etc.

I agree. I think it took about 20 minutes. Of course it depends if you are walking with a purpose or just strolling. 20 minutes is walking at a regular pace with a few stops for pics, etc.

Thanks all! We walk at a slow to moderate pace to enjoy the flora and fauna, so an hour or so is no problem. I want to do the Photo Point Trail also. Should be able to kill the morning with this visit.

Dave

Hi dsw39,

We did the nuggets trail in 35 minutes return (with brisk walk though)..

you might want to read our review on the nuggets trail to mendahall glacier

http://discoverbooktravel.blogspot.sg/2012/12/day-4-diamond-princess-alaska-cruise-mendahall-glacier.html

Hope it helps!

Thanks! I had read your review which prompted me to enter my request. As we are older I know our capabilities and 2-3 miles with minor breaks is doable. The other trail is easy. As we will have the full day, we can spend until noon, lunch in downtown Juneau or the ship and the afternoon walking the town. We will be back in 7 days for a seond visit. Intend to see the Glacier Gardens Rainforest and anything else we found from our first day visit.

Dave

Hi dsw39,

To fully enjoy the trail, probably an hour or more would be better.

But we were restricted by our patch timing and thus have to rush! :)

Hi narsibvl,

It should be ok. There are no inclines and the path is clear.

Just that the distance is slightly long.

Can 4 year olds and 7 year old survive this trail ?

Survive? It's a flat dirt trail, not a mountainous trek through the wilderness. ;) At that age, my kids would have beat me there. If your kids can run around on the playground for an hour, they will survive just fine.

• 2 months later...
Survive? It's a flat dirt trail, not a mountainous trek through the wilderness. ;) At that age, my kids would have beat me there. If your kids can run around on the playground for an hour, they will survive just fine.

I'm trying to figure out if I can do the Nugget Creek trail on a mobility scooter. Is it a hard dirt trail or sand? It looks like the soft sand is only at the end. Thanks.

I'm trying to figure out if I can do the Nugget Creek trail on a mobility scooter. Is it a hard dirt trail or sand? It looks like the soft sand is only at the end. Thanks.

I don't have much experience with scooters, so can't say for sure. It is pretty flat and solid from what I recall. One thing to note - there are two, mostly parallel, trails that go to the falls. One goes right along the edge of the lake and has some rocks, so is definitely NOT scooter friendly. The other was wider and flatter. As you head out on the trail, when it splits, you'd want to go RIGHT. I hope someone else can give you a better idea of whether a scooter would make it. You can definitely do the photo point trail since it is paved.

I'd say no. It's a long way, I know the battery lives are a lot longer, but, it's going to tax the scooter heavily. Photo Point is handicapped accessible. The trail is now, a huge improvement over having to scramble over boulders and walk in lake run off, which I did several times, prior to this trail. But if it rains, there are boggy areas etc.

Why don't you wait until you get there? Try it, turn back if needed?

Archived