Good Hobby Camera for Alaska

OK, one lesson learned from experience (and not a good one). See that red button that seems to just be sitting on the handgrip? That’s your record button in video mode. Not the shutter release like every other video capable camera I’ve owned...

I sold the 18-105 and my kit lenses to get the 18-135 and I would do it again. The 18-135 is smaller, lighter and a better lens overall.

Oops, didn't read 'til the end, enjoy!

Vic

I may wind up doing the same, but want a feel for the camera before I decide.

OK, one lesson learned from experience (and not a good one). See that red button that seems to just be sitting on the handgrip? That’s your record button in video mode. Not the shutter release like every other video capable camera I’ve owned...

Just finished reading the manual and saw that!

There's a setting in the menu:

Gear menu (second group from left) > Page 8 > MOVIE Button: Set to "Movie Mode Only"

This prevents you from triggering a video unless you have the mode dial turned to MOVIE mode (little film looking icon) and really want to record a movie.

Invaluable option.

Dave

I know this is late, but just wanted to share my experience. I had the original Digital Rebel when I was graduating college (a graduation present from my parents as they had broken my HP PhotoSmart). From there I graduated to the 40D for a trip to Paris and ended up buying a 70D (and various lenses along the way).

I never felt comfortable with the 70D. The sharpness wasn't there that I felt I had in the 40D and I started to get sick of carrying lenses around rather than experiencing wherever I was. (I had two primes, a telephoto, a wide angle.. the works).

So I decided to sell everything and get an RX100 IV and an RX10 III. Couldn't be happier. I have only two "tools" now, but I don't need to worry about lugging things around anymore.

Now... I do look at FF shots and long for the creaminess of some of the backgrounds on them and the sharpness. But, for what I need and what I wanted to spend, the RX10/RX100 combination serves me well.

There's a setting in the menu:

Gear menu (second group from left) > Page 8 > MOVIE Button: Set to "Movie Mode Only"

This prevents you from triggering a video unless you have the mode dial turned to MOVIE mode (little film looking icon) and really want to record a movie.

Invaluable option.

Dave

Had the opposite problem. I was trying to shoot video and hadn’t RTFM. I assumed shutter release in video mode and had never even seen a record button on the handgrip. Several lessons learned...

The Canon lenses I have are just the basic kit lenses that came with the camera.

I would like a new interchangeable lens camera that I can learn a bit about and eventually really decide if I want to upgrade to a better interchangeable camera. I’d like this to be the second start of a new hobby.

I am open to other options besides Canon, for sure. Though, somehow I kind of like the *idea* of a Canon. I used to shoot on a film Canon as a hobby back in high school and it kind of stuck with me. But I am certainly open to good options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You have the Canon lens, why not stick with their latest model, plus you have some familiarity with the camera body.