Question about cruising out of NYC in January...

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

East Coast Departures

Baltimore, Boston, Cape Liberty, Charleston, Montreal, New York, Norfolk, & Philadelphia l
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:04 AM.
267 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
I am considering booking a cruise from NY to the Caribbean in January 07,
and I am somewhat concerned about a few things.

Can anyone tell me how rough the seas are in January?

and

What do you do for the first 2 days onboard when it's way too cold
to go outside?

Thanks so much.
213 Posts
Joined May 2006
Seas will vary depending on several factors. Some posters on the boards love the mid winter cruises out of NYC; we, however, will not do another one. The weather is only cold for the first and last days so that isn't a subatantial factor. Rather, for DW at least, it is the threat of hitting heavy weather out of or into NYC. We were on the QM2 last January and on the night before coming into NYC we had some wind and snow. Although there was virtually no untoward movement by the QM2, the howling of the wind was enough to convince my wife that flying south between December and March was an acceptable inconvenience.

You take a chance of some bad weather. Balance it against how much you dislike flying.