Stavanger, Norway excursion - "Seaview Trail" - any reviews?

My family and I are going on a RCCL cruise in Norway next summer. We are considering booking the excursion called "Seaview Trail - SR48". Has anyone done this particular excursion before and would be willing to give their opinion of it?

We love scenic train rides, so this seems like it could be a good fit. (And before anyone suggests the Flam train ride instead, our cruise does not stop in Flam, so we can't do it.)

Any experience or tips with this particular "Seaview Trail" excursion would be greatly appreciated! :D

Although I can not speak specifically on this excursion- We did extensive NSB (Norway’s trains) travel all over Norway last summer on a land trip we took... we rode the train from Oslo to Stavanger, spent the day in Stavanger, and then back to Oslo in a sleeper car overnight both ways- so we were sleeping for most of that trip- but it was lovely all the same. The Seaview Trail (or Jaærbanen) is the section of train travel between Stavanger and Egersund.

Norway’s trains were very nice and engineering marvels as far as the varied terrain they have to travel through.

Since you guys like train travel, I would think that it would be a nice excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We visited Stavanger with our 2 and 6 year old children, so Pulpit Rock was out of the question. The boat ride we took to view Pulpit rock and fjords was nice, but not a must do. As was walking around the historic town (which is right next to port, so you can probably still do some of that even with your train ride). From everything I read, most of the train rides through Norway (and our one hour drive to Briksdal glacier) are supposed to be quite lovely. You should weigh the opinions of someone whose already done this excursion more than mine, but I'd try that excursion if Pulpit Rock wasn't an option for you.

Note: I'm not sure this was an option for our Cunard cruise (but we went to Flam, so people chose that train) so if no one with specific experience writes in, perhaps you should repost this on the RC board also and hopefully someone can help you whose experienced this excursion)

My family and I are going on a RCCL cruise in Norway next summer. We are considering booking the excursion called "Seaview Trail - SR48". Has anyone done this particular excursion before and would be willing to give their opinion of it?

ed! :D

just curious when your cruise is? we are going in july with a stop in Stavanger, and so far there haven't been any excursions listed in Stavanger at all for our cruise. I am anxious for them to list all the available tours!

• 2 weeks later...

We took this excursion in Sept of 2016 and we enjoyed it. We got on a bus at the pier, and they drove us about a mile down the road to the train station. The train was clean and comfortable. It was a commuter train so we made numerous stops, but the scenery was beautiful. When we arrived in Egersund we were bussed about a mile down the road and from there walked to the Grand Egersund Hotel, a very elegant old hotel, where we had coffee and waffles. After that they had a walking tour of Egersund. We ditched the tour and headed to the Egersund Chocolate Factory, explored the old part of town and the wharf and did some shopping. The bus ride back to Stavanger was long and boring. Egersund is absolutely charming and I would go again in a heartbeat, but next time I would buy my own train tickets and take the train both ways.