Flanders Field excursion on Viking

knoxclone

Has anyone done the Flanders Field Excursion on Viking Tulips & Windmills Cruise? The excursion write up says its an all day excursion (9hrs) I am hoping to be able to observe the 8pm Last Post ceremony - thanks for any info!

"Stop to view the Menin Gate at Ypres’s entrance. The names of 50,000 missing soldiers are carved on its walls. Here, the Last Post Ceremony takes place each day at 8 PM. After browsing the atmospheric market square of Ypres, return to your ship"

Last year, Avalon offered a tour that included Flander's Field and many other WWI (and WWII) sites. I don't see it advertised anymore, so perhaps not popular and subsequently cancelled.

We did do the Menin Gate - but our day was well over 12 hours to allow us to be present for the Last Post Ceremony. It was very moving.

Avalon set up 3 tours - all of varying length - to allow people to see as much (or as little) as they wished to on that day.

The gate is worth seeing... but, if there is anyway you can stay to see the ceremony, I recommend doing it.

Fran

This does not answer your question, but I would like to echo Fran's comment. The Last Post nightly ceremony is a must see. In 2017 CroisiEurope had three WW I theme cruises in Belgium, and it was included. None were scheduled this year.