Queen Mary 2 New York

Bennybluehat

Although that is technically correct, she is often late. If you are sailing on her, you should aim to be at the dock at least an hour earlier.

We are doing the BTB in a few weeks time but are planning on getting the bus into New York which Cunard organises, so I presume the ship will wait if the bus was to be late back.

We are doing the BTB in a few weeks time but are planning on getting the bus into New York which Cunard organises, so I presume the ship will wait if the bus was to be late back.

Yes, the "Manhattan Transfer to Macy's" (which I believe is what we're discussing here based on other threads) is a standard Cunard shore excursion, not a port shuttle bus. It was listed as shore excursion "NYC 200A" on our recent June crossings. Departure was shown at 7:30am with pickup for the return at 2:30pm and arrival back at the ship at 3:30pm. That's one hour before the typical "All Aboard" time of 4:30pm for a 5:00pm sailing. But if that excursion were to be delayed, it would fall under the standard Cunard shore excursion policy which states "the ship will not sail until all shore excursions are safely back on board" (quoting from the US voyage personaliser under the topic "Why book a shore excursion?").

Getting back to the original question, since I may have misinterpreted it... I'd say the time QM2 actually "sets sail" from New York (as opposed to her scheduled 5:00pm departure time) is typically somewhere around 5:15 to 5:30pm when she starts moving away from the dock. On occasion she might be a few minutes earlier than that and naturally there are occasions when she will be later than that for whatever reason.

Edited by bluemarble

Yeah, no worries. If you are concerned about missing the boat, taking the Cunard shuttle is a good insurance policy.

The Cunard shuttle is a bit of a mystery to me. We booked the Cunard fare, which says it gives free access to the shuttle buses, but nowhere are there details of where they are provided. Are they on offer in NYC, for example, and if so, where do they go?

The transfer they sell from the ship to Macy's is nothing more than a shuttle except in Cunard's eyes so they have an excuse to charge $49pp which is extortionate. All you get is a transfer from the ship and dropped off at Macy's and then free time and return the same basically a shuttle but a very expensive one.

A similar question - does anyone know what time QM2 generally arrives in NYC?

Checking the NY Harbor Webcam archives, QM2's arrival time has been pretty consistent for her last four arrivals in New York available for viewing there (June 10 through August 3, 2018). In each of those four cases, QM2 has passed under the Verrazano Narrows bridge between 4:45 and 5:00am. I believe that means she would have been alongside at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal sometime between 6:00 and 6:30am. Early self-help disembarkation is typically scheduled to commence at 7:00am, per the landing arrangements document distributed on board.

Checking the NY Harbor Webcam archives, QM2's arrival time has been pretty consistent for her last four arrivals in New York available for viewing there (June 10 through August 3, 2018). In each of those four cases, QM2 has passed under the Verrazano Narrows bridge between 4:45 and 5:00am. I believe that means she would have been alongside at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal sometime between 6:00 and 6:30am. Early self-help disembarkation is typically scheduled to commence at 7:00am, per the landing arrangements document distributed on board.

That’s great, thank you. Will be nice if we can disembark around 0700-0800 as I thought we’d be more like 1000-1100. Our boys are flying out ahead of us so they’ll already have our hotel room sorted so that will work well, a little nap on arrival at the hotel would be good but I doubt that’s going to happen with all that goes on in New York!

• 1 month later...