Single Supplents too high.

Ritmuller1974

I have run some numbers. To keep things simple, I looked at recently announced 2020 launch fares for eighteen different 7-day transatlantic crossings on QM2. Here is what I've come up with for the average launch fares on those crossings for the single cabin categories KC and KB in comparison with some other inside, oceanview, and balcony cabin categories adjusted for single occupancy with the 75% single supplement. These are all US fares in US dollars. Since these are launch fares, they do not take into account any promotions that come into play (such as past passenger discounts or similar). But hopefully this helps as a starting point to show the relative positioning of these fares and how they tend to compare to each other on QM2 crossings.

Average IF inside cabin fare with 75% single supplement: $2463

Average KC single oceanview cabin fare: $3041

Average KB single oceanview cabin fare: $3123

Average EF oceanview cabin fare with 75% single supplement: $3149

Average DF obstructed balcony fare with 75% single supplement: $3313

Average BZ sheltered balcony fare with 75% single supplement: $3425

Now after running those averages off the 2020 launch fares, I notice one online US travel agent is already showing the following pricing anomalies on one of those 2020 QM2 7-day crossings. This helps to illustrate underwatr's point that sometimes single oceanview cabins can actually be more expensive than a regular oceanview or balcony with the single supplement.

IF inside cabin fare with 75% single supplement: $2081

KC single oceanview cabin fare: $3210

KB single oceanview cabin fare: $3297

EF oceanview cabin fare with 75% single supplement: $2641

DF obstructed balcony fare with 75% single supplement: $2711

BZ sheltered balcony fare with 75% single supplement: $2851

In comparison, I have just returned from a back-to-back Trans-Atlantic in Aug-Sept, which I booked about 4-5 months in advance at a reduced fare.

I stayed in BF balcony 12-001, hoping that one of my kids or my girlfriend could join me, albeit in the end that proved impossible so I paid the 75% single supplement.

I could have added a companion up until 5 days prior to departure, by just topping up the single supplement by the remaining 25% or about US$400 + fees + CunardCare = US$632

I was charged approx (US$1615 per week) x 2 weeks + US$225 CunardCare + US$139 taxes/fees = US$3593

or an average of US$1800 per week ... for a Deck 12 Balcony cabin INCLUDING the single supplement.

There were no solo cabins available as of my date of booking, yet I obtained a BETTER cabin WITH the flexibility of adding a companion, all for 55% of the cost!

(albeit with a shower curtain not a glass door! lol)

I think I'll stick with the single supplement, thanks!

PJ

I've just seen the new Celebrity Edge being advertised. For July next year, two weeks it's £2689 pp for an infinite balcony cabin. For a Single Infinite balcony, it's £2749 total. That's only £60 more very different product, but good pricing.

I've just seen the new Celebrity Edge being advertised. For July next year, two weeks it's £2689 pp for an infinite balcony cabin. For a Single Infinite balcony, it's £2749 total. That's only £60 more very different product, but good pricing.

Just a point of correction- it was a 7 night cruise.

I believe that the price also included a classic drinks package.