Saining on Koningsdam

Atlantic Canada

Doing the Caribbean in November. Haven't been on Holland for awhile and we were wondering:

1. Can you go to the dining room for lunch on embarkation day? We have sailed Princess a lot in the last few years and having a nice lunch in the dining room versus the chaotic Lido is a nice relaxing way to start the cruise.

2. Read somewhere that Holland is hosting a cocktail party at the time of embarkation. Is that correct? If so how do you find out where and when it is happening.

3. We are 3 star mariner members and wondered if there is a special check-in line for us in Ft Lauderdale?

Thanks

Doing the Caribbean in November. Haven't been on Holland for awhile and we were wondering:

1. Can you go to the dining room for lunch on embarkation day? We have sailed Princess a lot in the last few years and having a nice lunch in the dining room versus the chaotic Lido is a nice relaxing way to start the cruise.

Usually. Sometimes there are private lunches there that day.

2. Read somewhere that Holland is hosting a cocktail party at the time of embarkation. Is that correct? If so how do you find out where and when it is happening.

IIRC we just got a glass of wine and we got the "invite" at check-in.

3. We are 3 star mariner members and wondered if there is a special check-in line for us in Ft Lauderdale?

No, just for suites and 4/5 stars.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
This is the second thread this week about "saining" on a ship. Is there a new verb of which I am not aware? Or perhaps this is ancient mariner language? haha

‘‘Tis a Scottish word for blessing or consecrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
Similar question. We are sailing from Rome at 6:00 pm in October. Will the MDR be open & serving dinner that evening?

Thanks for asking that, I've not gotten that far along in finding things out yet. We will be on the same sailing, so maybe we will see you at dinner!

We weren't able to sign up for a set dining time/table so we will be meeting a lot of different folks around dinner time. That's kinda fun, although it does get pretty repetitive with the night after night of 'where are you from' questions. Anyone have any better dinner conversation starters? I guess since we will be leaving from Rome, we could always ask "So, did you visit the Forum today?" In the Caribbean, we could "did anyone see any sea turtles while snorkeling today?" How often do you get to ask your dinner companions that?

My comment to: "We weren't able to sign up for a set dining time/table so we will be meeting a lot of different folks around dinner time. That's kinda fun, although it does get pretty repetitive with the night after night of 'where are you from' questions. Anyone have any better dinner conversation starters? I guess since we will be leaving from Rome, we could always ask "So, did you visit the Forum today?" In the Caribbean, we could "did anyone see any sea turtles while snorkeling today?"

About the best dinner conversation we ever had with an "anytime dining" table mate was:

Oh, you're from [fill in the blank]? If I were to visit your city for just one day, what would you suggest I see or do?

We have since used this many times and have enjoyed the responses. Give it a try!