HAL still bumping people from dining assignment?

KruisingKaren

I was just reading this old post https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2314129 about HAL booking big groups on a cruise and telling people not in the group that they cannot dine at certain times, that the pool is off limits at certain times and that the show room is off limits at certain times because the big group will be using those facilities.

This group is going to be on the Feb 9, 2019 Caribbean cruise on the Oosterdam. I'm wondering if anyone who is not a part of the big group has received information from HAL to that effect.

HAL does not normally advise other passengers when a group, large or small, books multiple cabins; the Gospel Music Celebration is no exception. We've had groups on board a few of our sailings but they've been small and have had no impact on us. Larger groups, however, can pose a bit of a disruption to normal service, as you know. In the past, I've contacted the groups to get an idea of their size and whether they will be taking over any of the facilities or dining times. I found the groups quite willing to share the information, so if in doubt you might want to contact the Gospel group if you are concerned.

You may have seen a thread I started. The Gospel group was 1000 people and we were ejected from fixed late dining mid cruise. (we were doing a b2b and they came on for the second half). We were told we could have anytime (!) before 6.00 or go to the buffet. Hundreds of people got the same treatment and HAL turned a deaf ear.

I would never book if I knew that particular group would be onboard because of the size and the fact that they are accomodated to dine together at the expense of the other passengers.

The thread I saw was started by Cruisin'Chris. Looks like Chris wasn't the only one to be treated like that.

I'm wondering though if they've changed their policy about those big groups. I only take a trip once every couple of years and if that would have happened to me it would have ruined my trip.

The worst thing is that it sounds like a crapshoot. It might happen on your cruise or it might not. I'm looking forward to trying HAL (at least I was), now I'm worried. I've already deposited $3,000+.

We did a HAL cruise a couple of years ago on which an organization had booked the entire traditional late seating, expecting to have 700 participants. We were waitlisted. As it turns out, they only got around 300 participants, and we were given our late seating when we checked in at the port.

The worst thing is that it sounds like a crapshoot. It might happen on your cruise or it might not. I'm looking forward to trying HAL (at least I was), now I'm worried. I've already deposited $3,000+.

These things happen on all cruise lines. All cruise lines, in order to attract large groups, will give precedence to group members. Essentially, the group organizer will negotiate access to the entertainment venues, MDR, etc. If you're booking for 1000 passengers, you can pretty much get whatever you want on any cruise line. While you can blame HAL, I've seen similar complaints against almost every cruise line.

The thread I saw was started by Cruisin'Chris. Looks like Chris wasn't the only one to be treated like that.

I'm wondering though if they've changed their policy about those big groups. I only take a trip once every couple of years and if that would have happened to me it would have ruined my trip.

The best insurance would be a cruise longer than 7 days. I have heard groups usually go with 7 days. We loved HAL until the moment we did not. We are trying again, but have booked an 11 day cruise, so fingers are crossed.

... now I'm worried. I've already deposited $3,000+.
Keep checking VMAX1700's listing up until final payment date:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2632650&highlight=groups

Note that the thread is periodically closed and a new one started, so be sure you check the latest.

Edited by catl331

I do remember reading about that thread where the late fixed dinners were bumped into either fixed or the Lido.

HAL makes more money on charters and groups than on regular cruisers. They charge higher prices the majority of the time for the cabins. They charge for the private parties and the use of certain areas of the ship that end up being closed down to the regular passengers.

There is no telling if you will have a large group or not.

How far ahead of time were you told about this?

As I said in an earlier post, HAL normally doesn't advise other passengers, you'll only find out when you embark if normal service is to be disrupted. If it's a small group not effecting other passengers, you probably won't even realize that there is a group. We normally book longer cruises, but if we were to book a 7-day cruise, I would definitely Google the ship and dates to see what organizations might be having a group onboard for those dates.

I was just reading this old post https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2314129 about HAL booking big groups on a cruise and telling people not in the group that they cannot dine at certain times, that the pool is off limits at certain times and that the show room is off limits at certain times because the big group will be using those facilities.

This group is going to be on the Feb 9, 2019 Caribbean cruise on the Oosterdam. I'm wondering if anyone who is not a part of the big group has received information from HAL to that effect.

I agree with Fouremco

How large is that group?

If you know the name of the group, do google search to get info. about them. Often if you call HAL and directly ask about a group on a specific sailing, you will not get straight forward information. Call the group itself.

Edited by sail7seas

I try to update the listing once a month, but time sometimes slips away.

Also, no listing is perfect and I am sure there are groups on board that I do not find!

Be certain that there are as many, if not more, groups on other cruise lines. From my research I find numerous group bookings for Celebrity, RCI, Carnival, Azamara, NCL etc.

Here is a link to the Gospel group on your cruise.

http://www.imcconcerts.com/event.php?id=166

Why don't you give the organisers a call and see how many are travelling?

Currently they are only offering Ocean View rooms or Neptune suites as other categories are marked 'Sold Out'.

Thanks all. Just to be clear, I'm sure it's not just HAL and not just that group. I just had no idea this happened at all.:(

Just in case you weren't aware, the other potential problem with most cruise lines is that they will charter out the entire ship. Passengers who have already booked are usually given some options for rebooking another cruise, sometimes with some form of token compensation, but your initial cruise booking is cancelled. :(

Just in case you weren't aware, the other potential problem with most cruise lines is that they will charter out the entire ship. Passengers who have already booked are usually given some options for rebooking another cruise, sometimes with some form of token compensation, but your initial cruise booking is cancelled. :(

Yes this chartering can be a real issue. For our original booking in 2018 about 4 months after booking we get a notice that chartered out the Koningsdam so we switched to the Eurodam. Then about a month after that switch we get a notice they chartered out the Eurodam. So back to a different Koningsdam date and then we found out a couple of months later that the charter on the Eurodam didn't happen. I hate these charter issues. I wish that once the start taking bookings that they not later charter the ship. I guess charters must make the cruise lines lots of extra $$$$ as doing this sure makes guests mad that had already booked.

There is something worse than a charter IMHO. It is the 'contingent charter' that occurs when a promoter thinks they would like to charter but are not certain they can get the bookings necessary for the charter to pay. They enter into a charter that is contingent upon them getting the necessary bookings. Meanwhile, since the charter isn't certain, the cruise line continues to take reservations. This places results in a problem. Do you cancel your reservation hoping the contingent charter won't happen? Or, do you just hope for the best? This can be an issue if your picky about your cabin type/location or if you want to make advance reservations for flights and hotels. Of course, non-refundable deposits can be an issue too.

This happened to me when I found that a Jazz cruise was being promoted as a full charter on a ship I had booked a cabin.

When we booked the cruise, about six months prior, we requested late dining, as we always do. Our confirmation noted "waitlisted".

We were confirmed for late traditional and that never changed. After the first half of our cruise we were bumped. They can do whatever they like.

Keep checking VMAX1700's listing up until final payment date:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2632650&highlight=groups

Note that the thread is periodically closed and a new one started, so be sure you check the latest.

That's an interesting thread. How do I find the latest one? I'd like to be able to find it often. The one listed is May 2018.