Queen Mary 2 does a nightly stop in Halifax last night

fg_hb

Hello, I just wondered, why QM2 did a short stop of one hour in Halifax last night instead doing the TA from New York to Southampton as scheduled. . Maybe somebody aboard is able to tell us what happened.

fa6d75bcacb54db65362074a8893afee.jpg

680079b4db964f9301249e8e5f224d78.jpg

e63fe01e73a0efa8ee43f2f3cb07c4d0.jpg

9d8a09c4af11531229fbb67533d50f67.jpg

28e03bf01574ae0921b1be118644b614.png

Best Regards

Frank

Captain Wells announced around 7pm that we were going to speed up to Halifax so someone unwell could go to the hospital. It feels like we are moving a little faster than normal to catch up.

It was a beautiful day yesterday, in the high 60s. We were able to lie out the afternoon at the back of deck 8. I usually only do winter TAs, so it was nice to get outside.

After 2 nights at G32 I"m glad to say there is great band in there with a female lead singer and I haven't heard "red red wine" ONCE! It's the small stuff...:) because the rest has been great!

• Haha 1

Captain Wells announced around 7pm that we were going to speed up to Halifax so someone unwell could go to the hospital. It feels like we are moving a little faster than normal to catch up.

It was a beautiful day yesterday, in the high 60s. We were able to lie out the afternoon at the back of deck 8. I usually only do winter TAs, so it was nice to get outside.

After 2 nights at G32 I"m glad to say there is great band in there with a female lead singer and I haven't heard "red red wine" ONCE! It's the small stuff...:) because the rest has been great!

We were on the sailing before you got on and heard that band in G32. They are the International Band Purple Haze.

Vibz was not on as we heard them in the past.

This band also played on the Sail away from NYC and also Halifax. Also played at the Deck 8 Pool at the Independence Day Celebration Night and also in the Pavilion Pool on Deck 12 during the day. During the Night, WOW they are got the G32 jumping. Many didn't want to sit down and continued to dance. They were a Hit on the Queen...

While I'd never wish a medical malady on anybody, it must have been good to feel her speed when she had to make up time.

Nice screen grab David. She must have really attracted attention even in those hours of the Halifax morning.

Just wondering if she might be late arriving at Southampton on Thursday as I'm doing the 8 nights Norway cruise departing that day. Anyone on board heard if she's back on schedule? Daisy

Doubt she'll be late. You're talking about the QM2....The power behind her Liner Engines will make up the time.

Making up the time will cost money. They may, they may not.

In my personal experience, on our first QM2 cruise in 2010 we were six hours late leaving Quebec City. I assumed there'd be no problem making up at least some of the time over the next 2.5 days. We were six hours late arriving in New York.

If the calculation Extra Fuel - Cost to Rebook Transfers = a negative number, then she'll put some pedal to the metal and arrive on time. She was built to make six day crossings. I don't remember the exact speed point but somewhere about 18 knots or so at least one of her two turbines has to run in order to generate the required power.

In 2000-2004 when QM2 was being built crude oil averaged $25 per barrel.

25 USD in 2004 had the same buying power as $32.74 today.

Interestingly enough, today's closing price for WTI crude oil was $45.49 - a statistical difference of only 12.75USD per barrel compared with 2004 prices.

I just got the QM2 today. Despite the diversion to Halifax, we docked at 6:25am. We seemed to travel at about 24 knots each evening since leaving Halifax(I didn't check the speed during the day). Interesting crossing as we had dense fog for the first 4 days of the crossing. Very little wind and calm seas. One word of warning: don't stand on deck on Deck 7 at the front when the fog horn sounds! It is loud!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 years later...