Hershey Medical Center Diet?

bostonlass

Just wondering if anyone has ever done the diet from the Hershey Medical Center? A friend of mine just gave it to me. Apparently you eat everything on a list for three days exactly the way it's laid out and then eat "normally" for the next four days. You're supposed to be able to lose about 40 pounds in a month. This sounds too good to be true so I'm just verifying here that I should chuck this in the recycle bin. :rolleyes:

I haven't heard of the Hershey diet. Being able to eat what every you want for more days that what you stick to the plan makes it sound suspect to me. Plus the name is also suspect. That has to be an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

I would have to have more info.

I haven't heard of the Hershey diet. Being able to eat what every you want for more days that what you stick to the plan makes it sound suspect to me. Plus the name is also suspect. That has to be an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

I would have to have more info.

Deb. I live near Hershey and there really is a very large hospital called the Hershey Medical Center. It is a teaching/learning hospital. Very excellent doctors. I work in the healthcare field and we often send patients there as a last resort. Don't know about the diet mentioned with that name but I will look into it...

Please remember, in diets as in life, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!" This certainly applies to any of the quick weight loss programs. It has come to our attention that once again, there is a 3 day diet circulating which states that it was created by nutritionists at Penn State Hershey Medical Center. This is not true.

People often have temporary success with a diet like this because it is a lower calorie level than they were eating before – an average of 1100 to 1200 calories per day. In addition, the diet is very rigid and people who were eating randomly before will lose weight on a structured diet.

Department of Clinical Nutrition

Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center

P. O. Box 850, H-124

Hershey, PA 17033

http://www.hmc.psu.edu/cardiovascular/patient/diet/weightloss.htm for more info

• 2 years later...
Just wondering if anyone has ever done the diet from the Hershey Medical Center? A friend of mine just gave it to me. Apparently you eat everything on a list for three days exactly the way it's laid out and then eat "normally" for the next four days. You're supposed to be able to lose about 40 pounds in a month. This sounds too good to be true so I'm just verifying here that I should chuck this in the recycle bin. :rolleyes:

can you give us some more information on this diet? what is on the list?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

my family doctor just gave me this information on the 3 day diet. yes some ppl have lost 40 lbs in a month. But his advice was this. it's a good healthy way to gain control back on your food/calorie intake. don't expect to loose 40 lbs. all of the patients that he has given this to has lost on a average 15-20 lbs a month. he also advised me to remember it's the 4 days of "normal" eating. this is not to be confused with how i was eating it is a lifestyle change. going to 5-6 small balanced meals a day. getting rid of the high sugar intake and fatty foods. fresh veggies and fruits should always be limited do to the natural sugar levels they carry. breads are also a no no. so yes the diet does work but you have to be willing to restrict yourself from bad eating habits if you don't you will gain what you have lost. so if your not prepared to change your eating habits totally this is not for you. my doctor also has me checking my blood pressure every other day, calling in my weight to his office weekly and i also have blood work done weekly to make sure my body isn't going nuts. the only reason i am calling this in instead of visits. my doctor feels why pay a copay when the phone will do the trick and if something isn't right then i will go in . so good luck to all that try this.

First of all let me start off by saying, I am 5'5" and 135 lbs and have been trying to lose 10 lbs. forever. I eat healthy (around 1200-1500 calories/day) and work out 5-6 times/week -- both strength and cardio. Since I turned 40 I have the metabolism of a rock.

With that said, I am going to try the 3 day diet next week -- am starting on Friday. I will let you know my results both after the 3 days and a week later after I go off the plan. I will consider the diet a success if I lose between 7-10 lbs and keep half of that off.

Anyone wanting the details of the plan can find them on www.lose10pounds.org.

Hi,

The total calorie count of the diet comes out to approximately 800 calories per day, and total carbohydrate intake is about 70 grams per day, making Siegal's program an extremely low-calorie, low carbohydrate diet. The Cookie Diet as a starting point and continue with their diet through sound nutrition and exercise. Goal setting is considered to be one of the most beneficial and useful ways to lose weight for a long period of time.

I don't know much about this diet, but from reading the posts, it's all the same as every other diet..portion control, no junk, sugars, processed foods, fruits and vegetables. So I don't know that this is anything magical.

You know, I went to Jamaica to visit extended family (they are Jamaican) and the entire week I ate fruits, vegetables, sweet potatoes, yams, fish, a little chicken, and rice and I lost 5lbs the entire week. Same thing happens when I go home to Brazil...I eat a similar diet and I drop like crazy...and during those trips I have a sweet from time to time...and sweets in those countries are 1000x worse than in the USA (like flan made with 18 eggs!)

I'm convinced it's eating simple food that causes weight loss, not the garbage in the USA we eat.

I don't know much about this diet, but from reading the posts, it's all the same as every other diet..portion control, no junk, sugars, processed foods, fruits and vegetables. So I don't know that this is anything magical.

You know, I went to Jamaica to visit extended family (they are Jamaican) and the entire week I ate fruits, vegetables, sweet potatoes, yams, fish, a little chicken, and rice and I lost 5lbs the entire week. Same thing happens when I go home to Brazil...I eat a similar diet and I drop like crazy...and during those trips I have a sweet from time to time...and sweets in those countries are 1000x worse than in the USA (like flan made with 18 eggs!)

I'm convinced it's eating simple food that causes weight loss, not the garbage in the USA we eat.

I agree. Americans eat more processed food than anybody else. You have to wonder if all those chemicals and preservatives are not making you fat. I am a pretty healthy eater overall. I prefer real food and don't eat a lot of snacks or fast food but it is hard to avoid added sugar and fat if you don't prefer everything from scratch.

My husband also wants to lose about 10 lbs before we cruise so after I finish with this 3 day program I am going to concentrate on fresh fruits and veggies and low fat meats and fish.

Guess my mom spoiled me bad with homecooking! I can't think of anything I will eat out of a box or ready made. If I want a cake, I bake one from scratch, take a couple pieces, then give away the rest, I've been known to bake a cake at 10pm! LOL!

I wonder what would happen if most people just ate what they wanted for fruits and vegetables, a little meat, no bread, sugar, etc and didn't count the calories or fat. Even in Europe they eat tons of cheese and fatty stuff, but they only eat little bits made out of real ingredients. I think people would eat.

I think more and more, food choices have to do with the environment and culture that you are raised in. My "DH" and I eat at the table together as much as possible and dont' let anything interrupt us, we really carve out time to do it and we both work a zilion hours a week. I can't understand the enjoyment someone feels by eating a box of cookies or overindulging. I can't do that..I just get sick.

I agree. Americans eat more processed food than anybody else. You have to wonder if all those chemicals and preservatives are not making you fat. I am a pretty healthy eater overall. I prefer real food and don't eat a lot of snacks or fast food but it is hard to avoid added sugar and fat if you don't prefer everything from scratch.

My husband also wants to lose about 10 lbs before we cruise so after I finish with this 3 day program I am going to concentrate on fresh fruits and veggies and low fat meats and fish.

I started the 3 day diet (Hershey Medical Diet) on Thursday and completed it yesterday. It is a weird combination of food but is basically low calorie. You are supposed to lose 10 lbs in 3 days. I went on the diet because I have hit a plateau and wanted to jumpstart my weight loss. Since April I have lost 8 lbs, but only 1 of those lbs was in June.

I pretty much followed the diet exactly. The only exceptions were that I added Sweet and Low to my coffee and tea and I staggered some of my food across a longer period rather than eating it all at once. For example, I ate 1 hot dog and carrots at 4pm and ate the other hot dog and broccoli at 6pm (same quantities, just spread out a little)

Over the 3 days, I lost 2.5lbs, not even close to 10 but at least I got the needle to move again. The one surprising part was my body fat%. I measured it prior to the diet and post diet and my body fat % went down 3.9%. This probably more of function of water intake than fat loss but it indicated to me that drinking more water was a good thing that I need to keep up.

As other posters have said, the best strategy is to eat less and work out more but if you have hit a plateau and don't have unrealistic expectations, this wasn't a bad 3 day diet.

I'm within 2.5 lbs of my goal weight and plan to bump up my workouts between now and my August sailing. I am also going to try to eliminate as much processed food as possible. With any luck I'll drop below my goal so that I have some cruise wiggle room!

I really don't understand why people do these crazy diets. I mean, why do you want to work so hard to lose weight only to gain it back within weeks of stopping the diet? It's obviously not a lifestyle change or something sustainable, so it won't be permanent. What's the point?

I really don't understand why people do these crazy diets. I mean, why do you want to work so hard to lose weight only to gain it back within weeks of stopping the diet? It's obviously not a lifestyle change or something sustainable, so it won't be permanent. What's the point?

It got me over a plateau. I had been stuck at 134.5 for over a month despite eating healthy and working out 5-6 days a week. I have not gained back any of the weight I lost and have lost an additional pound since trying this

• 8 years later...

The Hershey Diet as well as Military and Cardiac diets, are not meant to used often, meant to just achieve a set goal. For instance, going in to have heart surgery (or any other) getting ready for AT or Drill on weekend. You will actually lose 10 lbs in a week. I have used this diet for years on and off with out harm. I have MS, so with relapses certain medicine will put 30lbs on you in 2 weeks. I am 6' tall I like to keep my weight about 130 to 135. When I have to use steroids I shoot up to 155 to 160, UGH!! If I fall down at a heavier weight I have a terrible time trying to lift my self up. If your looking to jump start another diet then this is the one to use. Good luck

• 1 year later...

I have tried this diet many years ago and it worksdifferently for everyone at the time my ex-wife lost 5 pounds I on the otherhand loss 23 pounds in the same three days let me be very clear it was a brutalthree day diet you will feel your body burning fat and is a deep internalhunger.