Any idea when Flying Clipper itineraries might be available?

SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:08 PM.
Highland Village, Texas
370 Posts
Joined May 2005
After watching “Mighty Cruise Ships” on the Royal Clipper I am really interested in trying a sailing ship but would like to try the brand new one first as I believe it is going to be larger. Anyone have any updates?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Azamara Journey, Baltic Sea, 2017
Azamara Quest, Irish Seas, 2016
Caribbean Princess, 2015
Celebrity Silhouette, 2014
Crown Princess, 2013
Norwegian Pearl, 2012
Norwegian Spirit, 2011
Silver Whisper, 2011
Vision of the Seas, Alaska, 2007
Seabourn Legend, 2006
Navigator of the Seas, 2003
Monarch of the Seas, 2001
Carnival Mardi Gras, 1991
Highland Village, Texas
370 Posts
Joined May 2005
Wow. Six weeks and no answer. I guess no one from Star Clippers monitors this board like they do at Azamara. Not impressed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Caribbean Princess, 2015
Crown Princess, 2013
Norwegian Pearl, 2012
Norwegian Spirit, 2011
Silver Whisper, 2011
Seabourn Legend, 2006
Navigator of the Seas, 2003
Monarch of the Seas, 2001
Carnival Mardi Gras, 1991
Trinity County, California
11 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
I didnt realize the new ship was called the Flying Clipper.....you are ahead of us on the info. We sailed Star Flyer a couple years back...doing Star Clipper in Feb.

Funny...six weeks? This just showed up on my board....hope you have a nice time on the new ship....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tinatheloop:

[email protected]

Sailing Star Flyer: 3/28/2016

Depart: Montego Bay, Jamaica

Fellow Passengers: Send me an e-mail. Love to meet you.

Justlikehome64 gmail.com
1,196 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
A little Google'ing pointed me to the shipyard's website:

https://www.brodosplit.hr/en/we-love...-sailing-ship/

The Flying clipper was just launched in June (2017). Progress is being made, but there wasn't any information as to how long the rigging and fitting out will take.

She will be bigger than the Royal Clipper (8,770 vs 5000 grt; 162 vs 134meters long, 6347 vs 5202 square meter sail area, and 300 vs 227 passengers.)

Both are 5 masted, but the new ship will be rigged as a barque (bark in the USA) vs a fully rigged ship as is the Royal Clipper. Being a barque means that the aft most mast has only fore and aft rigged sails; there are no square sails on the aft mast..

I'm sure the cruise experience will be the same as other ships, but it does appear that the dining room will span two decks (https://starclippers.co.uk/star-clip...the-fleet.html) If what you saw on the show looked like it interested you, I don't think you "need" to wait for the new ship.

Based on the photo in the last link I prefer the lines on the Royal Clipper; the raised Forecastle on the Flying Clipper looks to .. what's the word, chunky? to me. (I will still sail on her though!.)

Aloha,

John
Highland Village, Texas
370 Posts
Joined May 2005
Thanks everyone, weird that my original post on 9/30 did not show up on everyone's feed as it was showing on mine! I'm assuming that at this point the Flying Clipper will not enter service in late 2017 as it says on the website but probably more like late 2018 and wondering if it will be in time for the holiday season as that's the next timeframe I have available for a cruise! It seems to me if it is going to be any time in 2018 that itineraries might be released soon, I guess we will see!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Caribbean Princess, 2015
Crown Princess, 2013
Norwegian Pearl, 2012
Norwegian Spirit, 2011
Silver Whisper, 2011
Seabourn Legend, 2006