South America Excursions

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:06 PM.
6,888 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Is there a website like Shore excursions in Europe for South America? I like small or private tours and am a little overwhelmed by our 30 day adventure coming up. Is there a good place to search shore excursions without gong to Trip Advisor for every single stop?

Thanks so much!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The world is a great place… You should see it!

May 17, 2018 - Back with my buddies on the Constellation!

Save
Save

Save
Save
South Florida & Shenandoah Valley, VA
5,442 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
We did a 31 day LA to Rio cruise this past winter with 2 ship's excursions and about 11 privately arranged excursions. I looked at TripAdvisor for each first port first, then looked on this forum, and finally checked to see if any of the other members on our roll call had made any arrangements. Given that some of my private excursions were reserved 13 months in advance and all were reserved by 8 months in advance, I was often the person putting the info out on the roll call . It worked out very well according to the 3 others in our traveling party and many folks from the roll call who joined us on an excursion (or 2 or 3 or more).
Joliet, IL
1,304 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by capriccio
We did a 31 day LA to Rio cruise this past winter with 2 ship's excursions and about 11 privately arranged excursions. I looked at TripAdvisor for each first port first, then looked on this forum, and finally checked to see if any of the other members on our roll call had made any arrangements. Given that some of my private excursions were reserved 13 months in advance and all were reserved by 8 months in advance, I was often the person putting the info out on the roll call . It worked out very well according to the 3 others in our traveling party and many folks from the roll call who joined us on an excursion (or 2 or 3 or more).
So, how did you organize payment for an excursion through your roll call members?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2001 Crown Princess (the old one!), Panama Canal, partial transit
2001 Carnival Destiny, Southern Caribbean
2003 Coral Princess, Alaska
2004 Coral Princess, Alaska
2004 Celebrity Century, Western Caribbean
2005 Sun Princess, Southern Caribbean
2006 Benin and Egypt, 3 weeks, land vacation
2008 Carnival Destiny, Southern Caribbean
2009 Sapphire Princess, Mexican Riviera
2010 Carnival Liberty, Western Caribbean
2011 Ruby Princess, Eastern Caribbean
2011 Italy, 2.5 weeks, land vacation
2012 Island Princess, Panama Canal, partial transit
2012 Viking Emerald, China Cultural Delights
2013 Crown Princess, Western Caribbean
2013 Viking Rurik, Waterways of the Czars, Russia
2014 Royal Princess, Eastern Caribbean
2014 Viking Aegir, European Sojourn from Amsterdam to Bucharest
2015 Emerald Princess, Transatlantic Crossing and Adriatic Sea
2015 Viking Mekong, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand
2016 La Estrella Amazonica, Amazon River, Machu Picchu, Nazca Lines
2016 Caribbean Princess, Transatlantic from Southhampton to NYC
2017 Cuba, land tour with International Expeditions
2017 Coral Princess, Panama Canal, partial tour
2017 Viking Hild, Paris to the Swiss Alps
2017 Ruby Princess, Seattle to Vancouver in one day
2017 India, land and river tour with Vantage Adventures Travel
5,442 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by recyclelady
So, how did you organize payment for an excursion through your roll call members?
The only vendor requiring a deposit was our private (for just our travel party of 4) guide in Rio so that was no issue getting reimbursement from my sister and brother-in-law. None of the others required payment in advance so everyone was responsible for paying on the day of the excursion. In each case I just posted on the roll call the website of the vendor and a brief description of the tour. Those who were interested directly contacted the vendors and made arrangement on-line.
Plano, Texas, USA
353 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by hylasgirl
Is there a website like Shore excursions in Europe for South America? I like small or private tours and am a little overwhelmed by our 30 day adventure coming up. Is there a good place to search shore excursions without gong to Trip Advisor for every single stop?

Thanks so much!
We haven't used them. Just started the process for a January cruise but this company offers excursions in quite a few ports. http://www.southexcursions.com/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Michael
Plano, TX USA
17 Posts
Joined Oct 2016

Thanks so much!
We used www.tourguideushuaia.net in many ports of South America and they did a great job.
6,888 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Thank you so much! I haven't gotten one email saying that someone responded to my thread!

I appreciate the responses. I will look into those sites and check the out.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
Save

Save
Save
6,888 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Originally posted by recyclelady
I did the same thing for Asia... just had them contact the vendor personally to pay deposit. Most didn't have one which is nice
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
Save

Save
Save
Brisbane
164 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
We're going a Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise in December 2017. I'd be interested in knowing what private tours you used - can you tell me what Roll Call you were on last year, and I'm happy to search through that.
Thanks
Josette
5,442 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by Aussie Jo
We're going a Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise in December 2017. I'd be interested in knowing what private tours you used - can you tell me what Roll Call you were on last year, and I'm happy to search through that.
Thanks
Josette
Josette - our roll call was the Crown Princess, December 21, 2016: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2216875 but I can provide the information from my pre-cruise spreadsheet.

Our excursions included

• Valparaiso (if you are in the area a day before boarding): Patatour Chile
  • Punta Arenas: The Magdalena Islands Penguin Tour with Soloexpediciones
  • Ushuaia: Patagonia Adventure Explorer (they were great when they had to cancel the boat tour due to high winds; they immediately arranged a van tour with an excellent guide and at a cheaper price).
  • Falklands: Volunteer Point with Patrick Watts at [email protected]. He is probably full by this time; if so, try Estancia since they get equally good reviews.
  • Buenos Aires: Walking tour with Bueons Tours
If you can extend your vacation a few days, I highly recommend going to Iguazu Falls; they are spectacular.
Brisbane
164 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Josette - our roll call was the Crown Princess, December 21, 2016: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2216875 but I can provide the information from my pre-cruise spreadsheet.

Our excursions included

• Valparaiso (if you are in the area a day before boarding): Patatour Chile
  • Punta Arenas: The Magdalena Islands Penguin Tour with Soloexpediciones
  • Ushuaia: Patagonia Adventure Explorer (they were great when they had to cancel the boat tour due to high winds; they immediately arranged a van tour with an excellent guide and at a cheaper price).
  • Falklands: Volunteer Point with Patrick Watts at [email protected]. He is probably full by this time; if so, try Estancia since they get equally good reviews.
  • Buenos Aires: Walking tour with Bueons Tours
If you can extend your vacation a few days, I highly recommend going to Iguazu Falls; they are spectacular.
Thanks for all this info. We've booked flights to Puerto Iguazu and now trying to work out accommodation - the Sheraton is getting slated for being run down, and it's just been sold and I can't find how to book anyway! Any recommendations?
5,442 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Thanks for all this info. We've booked flights to Puerto Iguazu and now trying to work out accommodation - the Sheraton is getting slated for being run down, and it's just been sold and I can't find how to book anyway! Any recommendations?
Our cruise went all the way to Rio so after spending two days in Rio we flew to the Brazilian side of the falls so I'm no help with hotels on the Argentine side. Do a search on this forum and I'm sure you'll find some recommendations. Have a great cruise!
455 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
I'm not sure that there are any really good hotels in Puerto Iguazu. We stayed at the Grand Crucero, one of the top 5 ranked on TA, and it was just okay. IMO, the Sheraton is overrated anyway and not worth the price just to stay in the park. Not only will you spend 3-4 times what other hotels cost, but you're so far away from town, that a taxi will be rather expensive if you want to go into Puerto Iguazu for dinner.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
May 14, 2018 Equinox Spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Born in US- Lived in Argentina-Uruguay -Chile and now a days Colombia
110 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
You can find a Tour Manager that resolve all South America with expert guides and totally bilingual.
I spent some time but I did a local great experience with the tour manager Liz Andrea ([email protected]) top 10 in Trip Advisor.
Luxury Travel Award. Small Groups. Private Tours.
Boynton Beach, FL USA
13,328 Posts
Joined Jun 2001

Thanks so much!
Hi Steph,
I used www.patagoniashorex.com for my first SA cruise. They did a great job for several of the ports we went to. It appears that he also arranges tours for most of the ports in SA. We are using him again in January. I did arrange some tours with other companies for the upcoming cruise, since I didn't realize he covered so much of SA.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
For Cruise Reviews and Pictures, visit our website at www.thepreismans.com
Mike

Upcoming Cruises:
HAL Zaandam - January 2018 - Antarctica/South America
Celebrity Constellation - April 2018 - Arabian Sea & Suez Canal
Celebrity Edge - January 2019 - Eastern Caribbean
Oceania Marina - September 2019 - Amsterdam to Lisbon