QM2 tA 17th engine problem

southwestie

:)Well today at 7.30 am there a odd noise at the ship came to stop, seems we had a small engine problem that was fixed quite fast and we are now under way again.

If I hear more of what and why I will post again.

other than that the weather is amazing, sea is moderate and im not in the peast bothered about holes in the flooring

:)Well today at 7.30 am there a odd noise at the ship came to stop, seems we had a small engine problem that was fixed quite fast and we are now under way again.

other than that the weather is amazing, sea is moderate and im not in the peast bothered about holes in the flooring

Hi Rob, Have a great trip, would be nice if you do a live from. It just to long until I'm back on board again.

Catherine

Hi Rob. Glad to hear you're having good weather...looks like a beautiful day at sea on the webcam.

I know you're very experienced at trans-Altlantic crossings and aren't troubled by minor events, but I imagine for some being dead in the water even for a short time might be a little disconcerting. Is there an announcement made when something like that happens just to let passengers know what's going on? (I've been lucky in that something like that hasn't happened on my voyages, so I'm curious as to how it is handled.)

Hope you have a wonderful time & look forward to more of your posts if you have time.

Cheers,

Salacia

It happened very early, I could an announment of some sort, it didnt take long to get going again, I would image most people were asleep, most people didnt know about it

weather is now rough, large waves, really rather good.

I would love to do a blog however I dont any more, too many on here picked too pieces and I just dont do it now. I will explain when we meet up:)

I may do the odd bit if anything happens enroute

PARTIAL QUOTE:

Rob, I think I figured it out...7:30am is a shift change for the rowers...Sounds like the next shift was a having a rythm problem:D Darn those newbies! -S.

You had me in a real panic there. I read the title of the thread and though you had experienced seventeen engine problems since leaving Soton. Even by QM2's recent standards that would have been a leetle excessive :eek:

J

How long did it take for the ship to come to a complete stop? Did it feel different, just floating there?

Oh, if you have time, could you post back here with the name of the Maitre D' in the Britannia restaurant? Thanks.

How long did it take for the ship to come to a complete stop? Did it feel different, just floating there?

I always have a little chuckle when I hear people say that the ship, or a particular area of the ship, was noisy. I've been told by several friends who had served in the Royal Navy that the time to worry is when the noise stops! :D

J

I used to be a rower and trust they stop at 5am lol.

The ship has today just stopped again, and I have to say it is weird, the ship is oddly silent, we are just sat here in the ocean, I had no idea how much noise was made by the ship, but then the sound is part of the journey:)

A friend up on deck 5 just phoned to say the light have got off, so today is a little more than yesterday, if and when I hear more I will let you know.

I ont how far it took to stop the ship, hard to tell distance out here, to be honest untill I looked over the balcony I had not noticed and then the slince hit me,

If it gets worse maybe a few CC members will come and tow us to NYC

I always have a little chuckle when I hear people say that the ship, or a particular area of the ship, was noisy. I've been told by several friends who had served in the Royal Navy that the time to worry is when the noise stops! :D

J

It has stopped:eek:

The name of the M,D is Sacha manojlovic

It has stopped:eek:

The name of the M,D is Sacha manojlovic

Thank you for this.

I can't believe the ship has just stopped mid-ocean!! That's very unsettling and a little scary.

On a personal note, I'm very glad my upcoming voyage is after the refit. I presume any engine troubles will be fixed then.

J

Isn't this similar to being told that one shouldn't worry when water is coming down the stairs but only when it's coming up the stairs.:D

J

Nah! The time to worry is when the only noise you can hear is a squelching sound as you walk about.

Shiny

we are underway, only lasted a short time, have to wait and see now if we have more problems, the electrics also went out in many cabins, some flickering some dead, some lifts were being fixed this morning as well
I hope that in the refit next month all mechanical and electrical systems aboard QM2 are checked and any repairs that are needed are done,isn't that is what refits are really for?.It is also kind of curious to consider that after nearly 3 years of service there have been no mechanical or electrical problems reported aboard Queen Victoria and the same with the Queen Elizabeth,though the Queen Elizabeth has been in service for only a year. Regards,Jerry

I hope that in the refit next month all mechanical and electrical systems aboard QM2 are checked and any repairs that are needed are done,isn't that is what refits are really for?.It is also kind of curious to consider that after nearly 3 years of service there have been no mechanical or electrical problems reported aboard Queen Victoria and the same with the Queen Elizabeth,though the Queen Elizabeth has been in service for only a year. Regards,Jerry

I was on the QE last Spring when she lost lost all power for about half an hour.No big deal.

...after nearly 3 years of service there have been no mechanical or electrical problems reported aboard Queen Victoria and the same with the Queen Elizabeth,though the Queen Elizabeth has been in service for only a year...

They are newer ships and don't routinely have the mechanical stress of churing through the north Atlantic.

We encountered something slimilar on the way out of New York on the Sept 5th TA. In that case only the engines stopped and we were again underway in about 10 minutes.

One of my table mates remembers an episode on the QE2 where the entire ship went dead. (It was in the wee hours when most passengers were sleeping.) After a half hour the power systems gradually went on line again. Later he asked one of the engineering crew members what had happened. "Somebody did something stupid." Many power systems are made to shut down if something overloads so that damage is minimized.

.It is also kind of curious to consider that after nearly 3 years of service there have been no mechanical or electrical problems reported aboard Queen Victoria and the same with the Queen Elizabeth,though the Queen Elizabeth has been in service for only a year. Regards,Jerry

I recollect that there was some sort of electrical/mechanical problem with Queen Victoria during one of her Canadian cruises from Southampton which caused her to sail late from New York.

I remember that she did not sail on time and that I caught a glimpse of her sailing down the Hudson early the next morning, about 6:30 a.m.

Maybe September 2009?

They are newer ships and don't routinely have the mechanical stress of churing through the north Atlantic.

We encountered something slimilar on the way out of New York on the Sept 5th TA. In that case only the engines stopped and we were again underway in about 10 minutes.

One of my table mates remembers an episode on the QE2 where the entire ship went dead. (It was in the wee hours when most passengers were sleeping.) After a half hour the power systems gradually went on line again. Later he asked one of the engineering crew members what had happened. "Somebody did something stupid." Many power systems are made to shut down if something overloads so that damage is minimized.

I know that the QM2 only has 4 diesel engines while the QE2 when she was changed from steam turbines to diesel-electric power,she had 9 diesel engines installed into her engine room.I know the QM2 has the 2 gas turbines also installed into the gas turbine engine room located near the funnel.But maybe the QM2 should have had maybe 1 or 2 more diesel engines installed into her instead of the gas turbines? Regards,Jerry

Power output, not number of engines, is what matters:

The electric energy is generated at high voltage by four diesel Wartsila 16V46C engines which develop 67,200 kW (57 % of the total) and two General Electric LM 250 turbines providing 50,000 kW (43 % of the total).

She puts out enough electricity to power her entire home port of Southampton.

Remember too that the QE2 was a retrofit. Nine smaller engines may have been necessary to provide enough power given that the engineers had to work within existing space.

The electric energy is generated at high voltage by four diesel Wartsila 16V46C engines which develop 67,200 kW (57 % of the total) and two General Electric LM 250 turbines providing 50,000 kW (43 % of the total).

Remember too that the QE2 was a retrofit. Nine smaller engines may have been necessary to provide enough power given that the engineers had to work within existing space.

But when the power fails on board, the ship is dead in the water. Not quite the same effect were Southampton to lose power.

Engineers had that option available with QE2's diesel-electric conversion, but chose more smaller units for flexibility and reliability. Not only was QE2's conversion to diesel electric revolutionary, it afforded extreme reliability, which the steam plant was lacking, and superior fuel efficiency. With 9 dieselgens, there was redundancy, allowing one engine at any given time to be down for servicing. Only seven units were needed to give her the top speed needed to maintain the original 5 day crossing, with the limiting factor being the electric motors and not the available power. In addition, power could be added and subtracted as needed to allow the dieselgen units to run at peak efficiency. Diesels run most efficiently at full load. More info can be found here. http://www.roblightbody.com/liners/qe-2/1987_Refit/index.htm

Unfortunately, with QM2's 4 huge dieselgen units, there is no redundancy to speak of and the marinegas turbines must be run (expensive) when one of the Wartsilla's is down for maintenance if the ship is to maintain a decent speed. With the gas turbines located high up in the ship, beneath the funnel, to allow for easy access to intake air without eating up valuable deck space, replacing these units now with conventional dieselgen units will be difficult, if that is even an option. While this seemed like a brilliant idea on paper, Cunard is probably second guessing that decision now. Then again, the ship is rarely run up to the speed she was designed around with the price of marinegas so much more expensive than the grade of diesel the 4 big guys down in the lower engine room burn.

Archived