Santorini (Oia and Scooters)

SSLaly

Hello!! I will be on a cruise that makes several stops in Greece. I am looking forward to Santorini. At first, we booked the cruise excursion, but after speaking with several people we have been told that we must go to Oia...that is just beautiful. Someone also suggested to rent a scooter and go around ... can someone please guide me and tell me what they have done, and what they suggest we do... we are all in out mid 30s.

Thank you!

Gladys

Since you asked, I will say that I would not do that...the road from FIra to Oia is narrow and winds...and two lanes, shared with buses, cars, etc. We took the public bus to Oia which worked out great...seem to remember lots of taxis around too...

I wouldn't rent a scotter either. We have always rented a car. Renting a car is very easy and that way you can also visit some of the beautiful beaches. Since you are going in off season driving and parking the car will be easy.

• 2 weeks later...

We have rented a scooter twice in Santorini to ride to Oia. It was great, our only issue was remembering to ride on the right, here (New Zealand) we drive on the left. The road was not busy at all and we enjoyed it so don't be afraid - you only live once!

We have rented a scooter twice in Santorini to ride to Oia. It was great, our only issue was remembering to ride on the right, here (New Zealand) we drive on the left. The road was not busy at all and we enjoyed it so don't be afraid - you only live once!

Where do you park the scooters in Oia? Is it pretty obvious? Don't want to get ticketed or the plates taken off.

Hello!! I will be on a cruise that makes several stops in Greece. I am looking forward to Santorini. At first, we booked the cruise excursion, but after speaking with several people we have been told that we must go to Oia...that is just beautiful. Someone also suggested to rent a scooter and go around ... can someone please guide me and tell me what they have done, and what they suggest we do... we are all in out mid 30s.

Thank you!

Gladys

The way the Greeks drive on those narrow roads, riding a scooter may not be the way to go.

Archived