Circle Line 4/22 cruise CANCELLED

mtbny7

hi all!

I just heard from a friend that (due to Coast Guard orders) the 5:30 AM APR 22 Circle Line cruise to greet the Queen Mary 2 has be cancelled.

The APR 25 trip is still on.

Michael

NYC icon_smile.gif

Thanks Michael. Yes, it is true. I've got the gal from Circle line on the line now and she said that they are calling everyone who has a reservation.

Apparently, the Coast Guard wants the harbor to be clear of ANY small craft as the ship comes in......paranoid dolts. This is great, 40 years from now, we're going to see pics of QM2's arrival.....no hoopla, no celebration, nothing. Sounds pretty damn dull to me.

The gal did say that they are offering the $20 rate for the trip on the 25th.

This blows big time!

Russ

That is a real shame. When we left Southampton on 1/12/04 there were plenty of small craft around us. And so it was in almost every other port. The only place of course where they really kept all craft at bay ( large and small ) was in St Thomas. Linerguy is right , when we look back 30 years or so we are gonna think the ariival was very dull.

"I heard the Queen Mary blow one midnight and the sound carried with it the whole history of departure,longing and loss."

Hi.

I think it's a shame, too. Why can't life go on? I'm so sick of this terrorist crappola. icon_mad.gif

Anyway... I assume CROUTON must've had a power failure at home... why else has there been no instant (and multiple) responses to this from CROUTON? icon_biggrin.gif

Michael

NYC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Anyway... I assume CROUTON must've had a power failure at home..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I read that the first time, Michael, I thought you were talking about my reaction to the Circle Line cruise being cancelled.

I'm on the road and was also under a self-imposed ban from posting -- getting a little too excited.

I got the message on my answering machine from Circle Line this morning. I was bummed big time, but resigned. But then I didn't know it was because the Coast Guard had cancelled it. NOW I'm pissed. icon_mad.gif

While some security -- even tight security -- may be called for -- there's a whole part of the excess that's about their self-importance, paranoia, and ineptitude which really pisses me off. (Oh, BTW, who DOES get to be out there to welcome QM2? Why the Coast Guard, of course.)

I honestly believe that handling it such a high profile "ban everything" manner that they are making things worse.

I hope as many of us will complain as possible: we're probably the only ones who would.

Crouton

My Email To US Coast Guard:

"I am writing to express my deep disappointment that the US Coast Guard could not find a more moderate way to protect Queen Mary 2 when she arrives in NY Harbor on April 22nd.

"You rained on a LOT Of peoples's parades who were willing to brave the morning cold to welcome the ship.

"Honestly, I feel your blanket decision has done more harm than good by calling excessive attention to security concerns and by allowing the terrorists to dampen our spirits once again."

Sincerely,

C.

Please: join me in letting the Coast Guard know how you feel.

USCG Email comment form

I'm also very fed up with this cancelled Circle Line voyage. It doesn't make any sense why the heck are they nixing the April 22 trip but not the 25th? There will be hundreds of boats floating around for QM2 and QE2 on Sunday. I wonder if the charter boats advertised on worldshipny are also history.

Do you think there will be any chance to get near QM2 while it is docked at the pier? Also do any of you folks out there have any alternate plans for a choice vantage point to view QM2?

It sucks I was looking forward to the whole Cunard Flag toting, Union Jack waving, kazoo chorus, jamboree. I think we still should convene for Cunard, for QM2, for Cruise Critics and because we're a bunch of oceanliner loving fiends!

Cruiserking

I have spoken

7/1 Queen Mary 2 Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;7;1;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0500

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;12;21;18;45;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till 12/21 QE2 Caribbean Holiday Cruise

The only thing I can figure, and I'm being very off-the-cuff here, is that PERHAPS they received specific threats about Thursday morning. I dunno, I'm just guessing.

Wed. night, I'm staying in Manhattan....to view the arrival on Thursday, do you think the Battery would be the best place or maybe across the street from the pier? If the crowds at the pier are going to be big, I'd love to get shots of her "on the knuckle" ala Normandie!

Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also do any of you folks out there have any alternate plans for a choice vantage point to view QM2? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This notice (below) has been on the World Ship Society, NY website for some time now, and was my first thought when I heard of the cancellation. It would be nice to be with folks who also cared enough to be there.

"GREETING THE QUEEN MARY 2

- UPPER NEW YORK BAY - THURSDAY, APRIL 22, 2004 -

"With the Queen Mary 2 scheduled to arrive on her maiden voyage to New York early on Thursday, April 22nd, anyone who would like to join a welcoming group, at 6:00 AM, Ted Scull will be on the waterfront in Robert F. Wagner, Jr. Park at the extreme south end of the Battery Park City promenade in Lower Manhattan. The park is adjacent to Pier A (former NYC fireboat pier under reconstruction), just south of the new Ritz Carlton Hotel and just west of Battery Park past Pier A. The location will afford a clear view into the Upper Bay and will allow photographers to position the Queen in front of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, (with telephoto lens) and the Jersey Central Terminal and the burgeoning skyline of Exchange Place. Jersey City (no telephoto needed). Queen Mary 2 is expected to be off the Statue of Liberty at approximately 6:45 AM.

"Public Transportation to Battery Park/South Ferry Subways 1/9,4,5,J/Z,M,R,W. NYC Buses M1,M6,M9,M15,M20 PATH to World Trade Center Site (then 10 min walk south) NY Waterway Ferries from New Jersey Points to World Financial Center/Battery Park City (then 10 min walk south) or Pier 11, East River, Foot of Wall Street (10 min. walk west). Ferry service begins from Colgate, Hoboken and Weehawken at 6am - www.nywaterway.com Staten Island Ferry - departs St. George 5am & 6am - arrives Manhattan 22 min later (then 5 min walk west)."

Besides letting the U.S.Less Coast Guard know what you think, you might want to send a letter to your U.S. Representative and Senators too. After all, those brass plated Coasties theoretically have to answer to the People!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"When we presently got under way and went poking down the broad Ohio, I became a new being and the subject of my own admiration. I was a traveler!"

Mark Twain

Let's not blame the Coast Guard. They are protecting us. Let us blame and direct our anger at those who are really responsible, Bin Laden and his band of morons.

God Bless America

30+ Cruises and Counting

Queen Mary 2 - May 2004

Pride of Aloha - August 2004

Caribbean Princess - February 2005

There is something very wrong when what can be described only as a disappointment causes people to react as if the government is taking away an inalienable right.

39 cruises: mainly Cunard, Carnival, HAL, NCL, RCI, Starclipper, Seabourn. ~498 days total, ~312 on HAL

Good morning --

Yes we are all looking forward to the Maiden arrival of QM2 - saying that - for those of you that have not had the full impact of the new security measures - I can assure you ...an ounce of prevention....

Battery Park is quite beautiful & the promenade now extends from the Battery all the way up to 59th street all along the Hudson River. There is a bike path & its a wonderful 3+mile walk if one is so inclined.

You will be amazed at the gardens, sculptures & overall thoughtful design of the park along the Hudson - one can get a Kayak(free) do acrobatics, play put-put golf, get soemthing to eat & drink at all price points, play soccer or just pic nic - there are plenty of benches,shaded areas & restrooms.

Chelsea piers is at 23 rd street(where the Titanic was suppose to arrive/dock) with wonderful services. There is a new pier park just south of 14th sreet with seats, restrooms & old rebuilt piers - kiddy parks & grassy areas with gardens.

Anywhere along here you'll have a great view of the ships sailing into or out of NYC .

But don't knock the security - for all concerned.

OK. Let's think about this. You are PO'd because the Circle Line boat was cancelled. Some even say the security and caution is excessive.

What, exactly, would you say if, as a result of your protests the Coast Guard decides to let the Circle Line trip go as scheduled and a major terrorist event occurs as a result?

Of course you'd be PO'd, if you were still alive, that the gov't hadn't cancelled the trip.

Do you honestly think that the absence of any terrorist events in the 2-1/2+ yeads since 9/11 is an accident?

Think about it and thank your great fortune that you were not a victim of an attack that did not happen because of Homeland Security.

Thank you, Rotterdam, for your information about the beauty of the Battery Park setting. I look forward to being there or somewhere equally as inspiring to watch the arrival of QM2.

As for all the other comments from everyone, I can only acknowledge that we are fundamentally divided on this issue which obviously has implications far beyond the isolated event of QM2's arrival in New York.

In my view, it is a simple fact that by providing security with such a "heavy hand" -- the Coast Guard isunilaterally pre-empting the possibility of something much more important and valuable: the opportunity for New York citizens and the rest of the country to witness and celebrate the safe arrival of QM2 without their dominating military presence (as she has done already in numerous countries around the world).

It's quite easy for the rest of the world to see how terrified and paranoid our country has become -- less easy for us to see it. And obviously a very touchy subject here and elsewhere.

Please note that I am not suggesting "no" security. But I neither expect nor want the Coast Guard or any other military/police presence to protect me from "everything." The world is essentially safe -- the many other dangers come and go, and some must be accepted unless we decide we want a police state.

We are in an uncertain time of our history on this issue.

I have responded with this post to reaffirm my position in the face of everyone's intense feelings. But I will not engage in any further political argument on this topic. I regret that any of my posts may have been inflammatory. That was not my intention.

Now....on to four days of celebrations of the Cunard Queens in New York -- especially the evening of the 25th, which sounds to be everything we had all hoped for and more.

Crouton

[This message was edited by Crouton on 04-17-04 at 12:12 PM.]

Crouton,

Well stated. While we may have different "political" opinions about security, etc., let's move on and enjoy this special event and all the beauty and pagentry. This truly is a special event and I am pleased to be able to discuss and chat about it with my fellow cc's.

Also, the NYTimes has a special insert in this Sunday's news. Very enjoyable. There is also an article in the Metro section B about the cruise lines and NYC finally close to an agreement about the ports and possibly a new pier.

All the Best!

30+ Cruises and Counting

Queen Mary 2 - May 2004

Pride of Aloha - August 2004

Caribbean Princess - February 2005

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It's quite easy for the rest of the world to see how terrified and paranoid our country has become -- less easy for us to see it. And obviously a very touchy subject here and elsewhere. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not to be argumentative, but this kind of statement just blows up my skirt.

Who cares what the rest of the world thinks. Whenever they get into trouble, they look to us, and we are usually generous. Up to that time, they just love to twist our tail. My third grade teacher taught me that "actions speak louder than words." Corny, I know, but true.

One thing I wanted to add - NYC is still on high alert as far as the terrorism threat.

In the past I posted the horrors of living here on 9/11/01 & thereafter( I live very close to the WTC site). I live every day thinking of the 3 close friends that have never been found & the 3,000 other souls that perished due to the unimaginable acts of the terrorists.

Also each day I have seen more Police, National Guard, FBI, cement security barriers in all areas of my life. One day after a weekend in the country passing through Pennsyvania Staion when I found the place being evacuated with police & dogs all over - scarey - this is normal here these days. Do you know they can't even give away the top floors of the Empire State Building to tenants due to the security problems????

As far as other countries - I received calls from friends in Spain, England, France, Brazil & Canada after 9/11/01 - all good peopel that cared about me & the grief we Americans were experiencing. Look to the individuals for the goodness of mankind. Also it was several years ago when a friend from Europe said one day the terrorism would show up on our shores much the same it was in London at the time. Anyone that had visited London or Ireland have seen the security presence. I remember seeing machine gun toting soldiers in airports in Europe going back to 1980.

Also due to the high alert - the security resources are being spread thin - perhaps the Coast Guard is also under pressure. I recently sailed out of LA & San Diego,the Coast Guard was a presence in both ports. Herein NYC they are CONSTANTLY patrolling the harbor along with the north Hudson River.

Lastly these people that work in the security details are putting their lives on the line every day - between actual threats & the wackos that come out of the woodwork at these times - the Coast Guard & all other have their plates full.

Our lives have changed forever - get use to it. So for a few they will adjust their shedule - there is ample time to see QM2 in NYC - hopefully these people will respect & take part in the security precautions & hope for the best for all of us here in NYC, the country & the rest of the planet.

Rotterdam--Well said.

It is easy for some to sit in their armchair and pontificate. They just haven't been there.

39 cruises: mainly Cunard, Carnival, HAL, NCL, RCI, Starclipper, Seabourn. ~498 days total, ~312 on HAL

If you are a NJ person, a NICE view is from Stevens Tech in Hobokan. Sort of into the sun for morning picture taking, but really wonderful for PM sailing shots. It is on a hill and has nice view down river and of piers on either side of their tall building.

QE2 1969 x2, 1978 x2, 2001 x2 1 trip in 1991, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003

SS France 1972 x2 and 1974 x1

SS Raffaello 1974 & 1975

Sea Venture 1974 to Bermuda

SS Rotterdam 1976 & 1977 Nassau & Bermuda

Noordam 1992 & 94/95

Statendam 1993

Horizon 1996

Galaxy 1997 - trip #3 ??

Windward (Now Norwegian Wind) 1997 3 trips before lengthening

Ryndam 1999

Amsterdam - New Years 02/03 with sail7seas and many other happy folks