Civitavecchia to Rome: Looking for Recommendations on Door-to-Door Transportation

Keith At Sea

Currently booked on the Westerdam for mid-October cruise from Venice to Rome. Looking ahead to spending time in Rome thereafter and am seeking recommendations on private or group services (limo, shuttle, car, etc.) to get me directly from Civitavecchia to Hotel Portoghesi in Rome. Don't want to take the train, despite the cost savings.

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Keith

Take a minute and go to the Italy board in the Ports of Call forum. Instead of re-inventing the wheel and asking something that has been asked and answered numerous times, do a search there. It was a topic as late as last week. Any of the companies discussed will do port-to-hotel-door service.

I have seen good reviews on Romecabs and have them booked for transfer next May from port to airport. It is only 5 dollars more than using the cruises transfer and it is a private car not the bus.

Rethink train...

Just back from Westerdam... We took the train from Rome to Civitavecchia and it was a breeze AND CHEAP (5 euros each). I found private services were roughly 100 euros. Our hotel was about two blocks away from the train station in Rome so the walk was easy. However, I will add the port area in Civitavecchia was more difficult than expected. We had rolling luggage and getting from the train station to port area was fairly easy... BUT getting from the port gate to the ship was another matter. There is a free port shuttle bus inside the gate that takes you to the ship shuttle staging area.

In your case, getting off the ship, there would be a hassle of claiming your luggage and getting to the train station. I didn't see any cabs sitting around (but they may be there as people disembark??).

Since you're staying at Hotel Portoghesi, which is in the middle of town near Piazza Nuvona, I'd probably use one of the private car services recommended on the port info section. Much easier than getting to train station in Civitavecchia then loading bags on train then transferring to cab at Termini.

Save your back some aggravation with a car service.

Thanks for the good suggestions. I'll check out Romecabs.com and Romeinlimo.com, as well as join/post to the appropriate Roll Call to see if anyone is interested in sharing transportation into Rome.

My next question concerns timing for the cab/limo pick-up to Rome: The Westerdam docks into Civitavecchia at 7 a. m. on the final day of the cruise. How much time must I allow to disembark and find luggage?

Several weeks ago we disembarked in Civitacehia from the Westerdam, had booked transportation through Viator several months ago for private taxi transfer to Rome at 10AM. It couldn't have been easier. Our disembarkation time was 9:30 so had a nice breakfast in room, then went through gate, got our luggage, passed through customs and found our driver waiting on us. The car was new, clean, and driver very professional. Enjoyed the trip into Rome and was able to start our sightseeing immediately after checking into our hotel. It was well worth the added cost, giving us extra time in Rome without the hassles.

Another recommendation for RomeCabs. We have used them from Airport to Hotel, Hotel to Civitavecchia and Civitavecchia to Rome several times and would love to have the need to use them again:D;p

Also would recommend Romecabs.com Have used 4 or 5 times... always professional, dependable, can book on line and pay on day of service. We initially had service recommended by others on Cruisecritic.