2020: December 14 Total Solar Eclipse -- Oceania Your Turn!

Pet Nit Noy

I know most posters ask when the schedules for far off dates will be posted; I have a different request. I'm hoping that Oceania took note of the enthusiasm for yesterday's total solar eclipse and will create a 2020 itinerary to take advantage of the total solar eclipse that crosses Chile and Argentina. The map that I've seen doesn't indicate any named places within the band of totality, but there are named places -- hopefully ports -- just north named Concepcion, Coronel, and Lebu. (The day of the eclipse, people shouldn't want to be on land considering our 1998 experience.)

Viewing an eclipse from a ship is ideal, as long as you're not a photographer. The vibration of a ship interferes with great photographs, but at-sea day on a beautiful cruise ship is a great place to spend time before and after totality and, best of all, a ship's mobility can insure good weather.

I'm speaking from experience. In 1998, my husband and I cruised Celebrity for the cruise that included the total solar eclipse in the Caribbean. The day of the eclipse, we were near Antigua in the area of totality. In the morning, the captain docked in port. Anyone who wanted to see the eclipse on land -- and that included all the photographers -- could stay ashore until the ship returned after the eclipse. At mid-day, the captain sailed away from land to the absolute mid-line of totality. The folks who stayed on the ship had the same magical experience you saw on television yesterday. The captain was able to sail around a little bit as he kept getting weather information and we ended up with cloudless skies and perfect viewing. The poor folks on the island missed out completely. The temperatures dropped quickly as the skies darkened, and clouds began to form over the mountain range up the spine island. By the time of totality, the island was completely covered over by clouds with zero visibility.

Oceania, are you listening? In December 2017, you're already scheduled to be in S. America in December (one cruise -- 35 days). In December 2018, you're already scheduled to be in S. America (one cruise -- 20 days). December 2019 -- much less December 2020 -- isn't yet posted, but it's not too early to start planning. I'll make one additional suggestion: an eclipse cruise probably ought to be somewhat shorter than 20 or 35 days.

Thinking positively!

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Me too, currently looking at an Azamara in December 2019 for an eclipse, but would gladly wait and spend that money on Oceania!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

We are definitely interested.

We flew for this year's August eclipse... and at the very last minute - as the eclipse had already started - a cloud moved in for totality. :(

(It was still a *very* unusual experience, but not what we had hoped for, alas. And we did see the actual eclipse begin, at least.)

But we are game to try again, and can't imagine anything better than a cruise!

GC