Anthem Northstar Question

Is it better to schedule Northstar while in port, or on a sea day? Will be doing the FL/Bahamas itinerary if it makes a difference.

At sea, you see a lot of water.

At port, you see a higher view of that port.

So it depends on what you want to see.

Is it better to schedule Northstar while in port, or on a sea day? Will be doing the FL/Bahamas itinerary if it makes a difference.

We went up about a half hour after we left Bayonne. Was nice to see NYC and the surrounding areas. We were able to book a reservation once we boarded but others have said that day 1 is now walk up, no reservations.

We went up about a half hour after we left Bayonne. Was nice to see NYC and the surrounding areas. We were able to book a reservation once we boarded but others have said that day 1 is now walk up, no reservations.

I can picture the bridge taking you out....:D

We had reservations for a day we were just leaving port to see the island, but it was broken. Had to reschedule for a sea day. It can also not being working during high winds so don't get your heart set on anything! Would have loved to see cool views of land, but sea was cool too!

I'm on Ovation next Feb. Embarking Sydney, and stops at Mystery Island and Noumea, New Caledonia.

Does NorthStar open up for bookings pre-cruise in the planner or does it all have to be onboard bookings?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would do the at sea. Now remember RCI plays games with Northstar. They keeping changing the rules on taking it all the way over to the side of the ship. I was able to do it in April of 2016 but not in Sept 2016. Even if there is no line they won't.

That said, I do know later as the cruise goes on, you can do a walkup and get on within 15 mins especially while in port.

One day I went on it 4 times. And good luck trying to get it to go over the side. They claim too many passengers and I think it really is about cost. The captain rules the Northstar and they have had many complaints too. Still do a reservation and then also do a walkup.

We did it at sea as we had an afternoon arrival into San Juan. We were too far away to see the island, but all that water is something to look at. It was windy so we didn't swing out but just moved a little to each side. Don't do it if you have a bad fear of heights. DH and I don't so it was really cool to do.

I'm on Ovation next Feb. Embarking Sydney, and stops at Mystery Island and Noumea, New Caledonia.

Does NorthStar open up for bookings pre-cruise in the planner or does it all have to be onboard bookings?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can book online pre-cruise through your cruise planner. I'm waiting for it to open up for my Ovation cruise in November. Hopefully it will be available soon!

• 1 month later...

I went on to book for my march sailing all that is left is sea days. I really want to go up when we are docked if possible. If i book one of these days now and something opens up for a port day will it let me cancel and rebook? I dont want to chance not getting on it at all and I'm surprised it would already by booked up 5 months in advance.

Even if you take your "flight" on a sea day...you still get a spectacular aerial view of the ship itself....:cool:

As for leaving Cape Liberty...on some sailings, (to NE/Canada, I believe), they occasionally will first sail up the Hudson past The Statue, before turning around to head out to sea....I have watched these on the NYHarborcam, and some real lucky individuals got to go aloft for two or three flights, before the Northstar was secured to pass under the Verrazano Bridge...

In one instance, I heard over the marine band scanner on the cam website, another ship warn the pilot that "the 'ride' was up in the air"...he acknowledge that they were aware, and that the 'ride' would be lowered well before getting close to the bridge...:)

How many cruisers do they take up at a time? Also, is their a weight limit?

They take up 13-14. There is no official weight limit, but they may weigh you. 300 pounds was mentioned. Read this thread - the process is inconsistent and they seem to be looking at a group weight. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2504723