Booking excursions on Holland vs another site

RunningGirl22

We just booked a cruise on HAL in March 2018 via a third party site. (Am I allowed to name it here?)

This morning I got an email from the third party site saying that that shore excursions are 25% than booking on HAL. We have been on a cruise before but always booked with the cruise line. We figured it was the safest way to book since the ship would wait for you, it would be easy to deal with if a port stop was canceled, and we could use OBC to pay for it.

We couldn't use OBC to pay for it with a 3rd party site but what about the safety? Is it the same tour just booked differently? What if you miss a port? How easy to cancel, get refunds, or reschedule? Any other pros and cons?

Thanks!

We couldn't use OBC to pay for it with a 3rd party site but what about the safety? Is it the same tour just booked differently? What if you miss a port? How easy to cancel, get refunds, or reschedule? Any other pros and cons?

Thanks!

Those are impossible questions to answer without knowing which tour/port/etc, you're considering. See if you can find out the name of the company offering the tour. Then, google that name. See what you learn. You may find it is the same tour/company used by the cruise line.

Those are impossible questions to answer without knowing which tour/port/etc, you're considering. See if you can find out the name of the company offering the tour. Then, google that name. See what you learn. You may find it is the same tour/company used by the cruise line.

I would not be booking it with individual tour companies but with the place where I booked the cruise.

No, we can't mention the names of TAs or other booking agencies.

The TA I use sends emails about tours I can book. The agency does not organize these tours themselves. The closest I can describe to my understanding of it is that they subscribe to a booking service and provide clients' info to the service. I've never booked on of their tours, not because I don't trust them. Just haven't seen something I've wanted.

It depends on the port. Some ports I know it is more of a problem getting back to the ship, like in Panama because of traffic. Also, some places I just feel more comfortable and safe going on the cruise ship tour. If there are a lot of recommendations from people that have booked certain tour companies on the Port boards then I book with the recommended companies. Other ports I have been to so many times that I feel comfortable just getting off the ship and winging it. You can also talk with people you meet on the cruise, we have heard of great tours to book off the ship from people that have done it before.

We book tours through the cruise line when it is an all-day tour and there is a chance to not make it back to the ship on time. We book with a 3rd party when they are highly recommended in the Ports of Call board. We go on our own when possible also based on recommendations in the Ports of Call board.

We have always booked our own third party excursions, but only after doing our due diligence - have never had any issues.

There are many cruise line excursions that you can book exactly the same tour by going directly to the vendor. Sounds like your TA is going this route - booking the same (or similar) tours offered by HAL at a discount compared to their rates but not necessarily a discount from the vendor's rate.

Go to the Ports of Call board and check out what people say about tours there.

Most times (at all) we book with HAL directly. We know that we pay a bit more, but we like the comfort of knowing that HAL will take care of us if something happens on the cruise (and it is very easy to get your money back if excursion is cancelled or even a partial credit if something goes amiss). Further, we like the fact that the money we spend with HAL goes toward earning us additional Mariner days ($300 spent earns you one Day)..

Of course, there are some ports that we do our own thing, if we feel very comfortable with the situation.

We just booked a cruise on HAL in March 2018 via a third party site. (Am I allowed to name it here?)

This morning I got an email from the third party site saying that that shore excursions are 25% than booking on HAL. We have been on a cruise before but always booked with the cruise line. We figured it was the safest way to book since the ship would wait for you, it would be easy to deal with if a port stop was canceled, and we could use OBC to pay for it.

Thanks!

IMO the portion of your Post that I "bolded" above answers your questions. Additionally, I don't think it is possible to do adequate due diligence on small individually-owned tour operators in foreign countries - believe it or not, the Internet cannot provide you with reliable information on such things.

As a Carnival Corporation shareholder, I prefer to keep my cruise expenditures "in the family" and, thus, only book HAL shore excursions - call it enlightened self-interest at work!!!

Smooth sailing :ship: :ship: :ship:

Most times (at all) we book with HAL directly. We know that we pay a bit more, but we like the comfort of knowing that HAL will take care of us if something happens on the cruise (and it is very easy to get your money back if excursion is cancelled or even a partial credit if something goes amiss). Further, we like the fact that the money we spend with HAL goes toward earning us additional Mariner days ($300 spent earns you one Day)...

Spot on, Dave!

(y)(y)(y)

I would not be booking it with individual tour companies but with the place where I booked the cruise.

Then ask the TA to provide the name of the tour vendor. Then do your research on that vendor. The cruise line doesn't run their own tours, they contract with a vendor. You may find your TA and the cruise line use the same vendor

People have often reported being on a bus with passengers who have booked through multiple cruise lines or even booked independently.

Most times (at all) we book with HAL directly. We know that we pay a bit more, but we like the comfort of knowing that HAL will take care of us if something happens on the cruise (and it is very easy to get your money back if excursion is cancelled or even a partial credit if something goes amiss). Further, we like the fact that the money we spend with HAL goes toward earning us additional Mariner days ($300 spent earns you one Day)..

Of course, there are some ports that we do our own thing, if we feel very comfortable with the situation.

Do excursion you book before the cruise qualify? I thought it was onboard spending?

The first few cruises I did, I only booked excursions through HAL. Now, many cruises later, I have learned how to research ports properly and read others' advice on CC and tripadvisor. I would guess that I do 25% of my tours through 3rd party companies, and many more privately. That is not necessarily because I'm trying to save money, but because I prefer the itinerary or flexability. As mentioned, you could have passengers from other ships or even hotels on the 3rd party tours.

Don't worry about missing the ship with non-HAL tours. These are generally well-known businesses that have proven records. And they don't want to cause problems for their guests. Their reputation depends on satisfaction. And they know people write reviews all the time!

Compare the times, itinerary and cost and make your decision.

Why are you limiting yourself to booking only through HAL or through your TA? If you go to your roll call, you may find many other options with 3rd party tour guides. Depending on the port and the reputation of the 3rd party, these excursions can save you a lot of money and equal or surpass HAL's tours.

Research the company on TA or CC and the reviews will tell you if there have been issues with the company you are considering. We typically book from someone other than the cruise line saving money, seeing more, smaller group are our main reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums