Suggestions for Shore Excursions

ilovhywd

We just returned from 17 days in South America, mostly by land, and I wanted to share some observations with those of you who are planning trips.

It became obvious to us that the most outstanding places we visited were not near the ports. The highlights of our trip were Torres del Paine National Park (Chile), Perito Moreno glacier (Argentina) and Iguazu Falls (Argentina & Brazil). If your cruise line offers shore excursions to these places, or pre- or post-cruise visits, they are well worth the additional cost!

Punta Arenas and Ushuaia have the basic attractions of any port city such as restaurants, internet, phone stores, souvenir shops, and a few museums; but to see the best of the scenery and the Andes, you really have to plan to get OUT of the towns. It upset me to see Veendam passengers last week who spent the day buying postcards in Punta Arenas instead of going to see the scenery that was ON the postcards!

So that's just my opinion, for what it's worth! Hopefully it will motivate some of you to see the real attractions!

We just returned from 17 days in South America, mostly by land, and I wanted to share some observations with those of you who are planning trips.

It became obvious to us that the most outstanding places we visited were not near the ports. The highlights of our trip were Torres del Paine National Park (Chile), Perito Moreno glacier (Argentina) and Iguazu Falls (Argentina & Brazil). If your cruise line offers shore excursions to these places, or pre- or post-cruise visits, they are well worth the additional cost!

Punta Arenas and Ushuaia have the basic attractions of any port city such as restaurants, internet, phone stores, souvenir shops, and a few museums; but to see the best of the scenery and the Andes, you really have to plan to get OUT of the towns. It upset me to see Veendam passengers last week who spent the day buying postcards in Punta Arenas instead of going to see the scenery that was ON the postcards!

So that's just my opinion, for what it's worth! Hopefully it will motivate some of you to see the real attractions!

Who did you use to do the glacier tour?

In answer to your question, we booked the complete 16-day trip with Overseas Adventure Travel. The tour was called "The Wilderness Beyond." The trip included a 4-night cruise on the luxury ship Via Australis from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia with landings by zodiac on various islands and the Pia Glacier to see penguins and elephant seals up close. We also had a visit to Cape Horn which we actually climbed up! This was a more hands-on (or should I say feet-on) experience than a regular cruise ship. It was amazing.

OK thank you but I think the purpose of the cruise ship is another. I was in these places too and they are spetaculars but it is not possible to visit Perito Moreno ou Iguazu falls during the cruise tour because the distance and the short time. Torres del Paine is possible but it's very far, a little bit time to visit a few things and very expensive (for me it's not worthy).I think to visit the whole PATAGONIA go another time by land with more time and enjoy it. The cruise for me is to relax and at the same time see the landscapes near the sea (glaciers , fjords and Cape Horn), see the penguins in Punta Arenas or Puerto Madryn, do little trips near the ports like exotic FALKLANDS island , Puerto Montt (lake district) and USHUAIA and visit great cities like MONTEVIDEO/PUNTA DEL ESTE , Buenos Aires and Santiago, all together at the same time in a fair price , enough time and at the same transportation.

FELIPPEMAGOO

I am on a cruise that leaves from Buenos Aires and ends at Valparaiso. In addition to staying an extra couple of days on either end, I am taking a bus over the Andes from Valparaiso to Mendoza and a couple of days there and then flying to Buenos Aires for the flight home. This is one way to see more of the area than just what the cruise provides. I agree with trying to see the things that are to be seen in any port. Part of the process is to do your homework before you leave home. I am currently reading a book called "Uttermost Part of the Earth" about Tierra del Fuego and the Ushuaia area in particular. Among other things, it describes the history and daily life of the indigenous people there. Next, I will be reading about Magellan's voyage and after that, Charles Darwin's voyage on "The Beagle." In addition, I use the internet to gather information about each port and what is there, the history, wildlife, etc. This way, you are prepared to understand and appreciate what you are seeing and may be able to do some things apart from the "regular" tours.

We have just returned from a 16 day cruise around Cape Horn aboard the MS Veendam. Before we even sort out our photos or write a report we wanted to thank everyone on Cruise Critic for their help. The information and suggestions made a great trip even better. We were especially thankful for all the help in selecting guides. We can tell you the guides we used were the best and we have no qualms recommending them. We used the following guides:

Santiago/Valparaiso: christian roy montenegro friedl <christianroymx@hotmail.com>

Puerto Montt: GV Stein < gvstein@surnet.cl>

Punta Arenas: Payne Tours <venta@ctcinternet.cl>

Ushuaia: gerardo germain <gerardo_ush@hotmail.com>

Montevideo:Jaime Gutierrez <jaimegutierrez@adinet.com.uy>

Buenos Aires: Pedro Werebrg <clickonenglish55@gmail.com>

Rio De Janero: Marcio Guedes <marciolg@gmail.com>

:)

hello,

While it is correct to say that if you want to see a port you should go beyond and explore. I disagree, however, with a blanket statement that all ports are the same. Punta Del Este Uruguay and Vancouver BC are the same? Or Venice and Amsterdam are the same? Or Kauai and Hamburg are the same? And...Dubrovnick and Juneau? Edinburgh and Buenos Aires? Hong Kong and Fort Lauderdale?

Further, you really cannot compare a cruise with an overland trip. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, and just as there are some great experiences that are best seen by land so there are some thrilling experiences by sea. The latter includes sailing out of Venice, or sailing between Kauai and Nihau late in the afternoon as the sun is setting. Or take in the vast sweep of the ocean from the highest place you can go on a cruise ship.

For your 17 day trip could you give a ballpark of what it cost you per person including air from Florida? My DW and I paid $2,600 per person total for everything... 29 day cruise (balcony) on the Radiance of the Seas from Buenos Aires to San Diego, air from California to Buenos Aires, gratuities, tours. We also went on our own in several ports. While my DW and I can afford to do what we want, there are thousands who can afford only a relatively inexpensive cruise to see places.

I also believe that it is important to note that people have different interests. My DW and I enjoy it all...adventure, hiking, culture,history. Others travel just to go shopping which isn't for me but their money and time is as good as mine.

We have just returned from a 16 day cruise around Cape Horn aboard the MS Veendam. Before we even sort out our photos or write a report we wanted to thank everyone on Cruise Critic for their help. The information and suggestions made a great trip even better. We were especially thankful for all the help in selecting guides. We can tell you the guides we used were the best and we have no qualms recommending them. We used the following guides:

Santiago/Valparaiso: christian roy montenegro friedl <christianroymx@hotmail.com>

I am getting mail returned - undeliverable - when I try to e-mail Payne Tours: venta@ctcinternet.cl is there something mispelled in that e-mail address?

Carol

hello,

For your 17 day trip could you give a ballpark of what it cost you per person including air from Florida? My DW and I paid $2,600 per person total for everything... 29 day cruise (balcony) on the Radiance of the Seas from Buenos Aires to San Diego, air from California to Buenos Aires, gratuities, tours. We also went on our own in several ports. While my DW and I can afford to do what we want, there are thousands who can afford only a relatively inexpensive cruise to see places.

I also believe that it is important to note that people have different interests. My DW and I enjoy it all...adventure, hiking, culture,history. Others travel just to go shopping which isn't for me but their money and time is as good as mine.

Fredr, most of what you say i agree with and hope you can recommend tours and guides for the ports, Valparaiso and north to last port in Peru on your voyage. Thanks in advance, your advice on Argentina was good for our plans there, here's hoping you can help once again.:)

Hello,

Glad to be of help.

Valparaiso:

After you leave the ship, go outside the terminal and there will be guides outside with cars offering their services. Valparaiso and Vina Del Mar are very close to each other but Vina is the more upscale place. Two other couples and my DW and I negotiated with an English speaking guide and a driver with a van. They showed us a very nice approximately three hour tour of both Vina and Valparaiso. As I recall it was about $25.00 to $30 each person. This worked out very well for us.

Coquimbo

This is the port for a very nice city called La Serena. There will probably be a shuttle from the ship to La Serena which is a very pleasant city to walk around.

I will write more in the next few days.

I am on a cruise that leaves from Buenos Aires and ends at Valparaiso. In addition to staying an extra couple of days on either end, I am taking a bus over the Andes from Valparaiso to Mendoza and a couple of days there and then flying to Buenos Aires for the flight home. This is one way to see more of the area than just what the cruise provides. I agree with trying to see the things that are to be seen in any port. Part of the process is to do your homework before you leave home. I am currently reading a book called "Uttermost Part of the Earth" about Tierra del Fuego and the Ushuaia area in particular. Among other things, it describes the history and daily life of the indigenous people there. Next, I will be reading about Magellan's voyage and after that, Charles Darwin's voyage on "The Beagle." In addition, I use the internet to gather information about each port and what is there, the history, wildlife, etc. This way, you are prepared to understand and appreciate what you are seeing and may be able to do some things apart from the "regular" tours.

I agree that doing homework is essential! I suggest the book Rounding the Horn; it was insight into Magellan and Drake sailing around the Horn as well as a modern-day sailing trip to this area at the end of the world. :)

Jeanne

Hello

Continued...

We did not use a guide or tour in La Serena.

Lima:

We used the ship's tour here. And I have noted that at least one very experienced traveler who is very knowledgeable about Lima, says to be very careful about taxis here. I can also tell you that the area around the cruise terminal is in an industrial and very economically poor area.

Have not visited Arica or Salaverry.

And...one of the best tours we have had, is a tour that features the canals of Costa Rica when you are in Puerto Limon. We did the ship's tour here and it was really fun as well as exceptionally educational. I am sure that there are private tours as well.

Valparaiso: I recommend Leo Silva at http://www.rutavalparaiso.cl (note cl not com)

Look on the website at the photographs for 19th November and you will see us. Leo takes you by foot, trolley, bus, elevator, funicular all over the town. It was an active day. We really enjoyed being able to ask him countless questions.

We were on the Veendam with Photofoot, but we took the 35 day trip San Diego to Rio. I will try to answer any questions about the following ports: Manta, Salaverry, Lima, La Serena/ Coquimbo. Then the usual ones around Cape Horn.

Jill (and Joe)

Hi ---I'm trying to contact your guide for Ushuaia--gerardo germain. My emails keep coming back. Do you have any other address for him? Thanks so much.Kathy:confused:

That should be a good email address ... it is the one I used. (gerardo_ush@hotmail.com) We actually used his friend who was excellant but our other friends were equally satisfied with Gerardo.)

Hi:

Thank you for the information about tours. Can you please tell me what you did in Ushuaia with Gerardo? We are looking to book a tour there.

Thanks & regards,

Arlene

We were especially thankful for all the help in selecting guides. We can tell you the guides we used were the best and we have no qualms recommending them.

Thank you so much! We are going to be on Princess Star from Rio to Valparaiso on 02/09/2011 and have found that the earlier one books guides the better off they are. I have copied your information and will use it as my guide to book our 2011 trip.

You've saved me many hours and much uncertainty. If you can share any info such as cost, optimal number of people, best points of interest, please contact me at victor_persico@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks again for the info.

Archived