VISA for Brazil....$212 pp?

kymbakitty

We need to get VISAs for our cruise in March 2011, departing Rio.

When I called the number shown on Princess Website, I basically got a company that provides this service which means extra fees.

I could be wrong, but is there any other way to obtain a VISA for Brazil for our cruise that is less than $212 per person?

Incidentially, my TA did not mention this and of course and I found out when I went on My Planner online....but I can imagine that this could really provide a hardship to many folks out there that may not be able to come up with an extra $400. My TA is really on top of things (stated he has been on more than 100 cruises, which I have no reason to doubt) but states that this is a "new" requirement for Brazil. When did the VISA requirement begin for Brazil?

Anyway, I will use the service that Princess offers if there is no other way to obtain our VISA for the Princess cruise. But it sure doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!!!

Dawn

PS I think a VISA for Australia cost us next to nothing! Maybe $20!!!!

When I called the number shown on Princess Website, I basically got a company that provides this service which means extra fees.

I could be wrong, but is there any other way to obtain a VISA for Brazil for our cruise that is less than $212 per person?

Incidentially, my TA did not mention this and of course and I found out when I went on My Planner online....but I can imagine that this could really provide a hardship to many folks out there that may not be able to come up with an extra $400. My TA is really on top of things (stated he has been on more than 100 cruises, which I have no reason to doubt) but states that this is a "new" requirement for Brazil. When did the VISA requirement begin for Brazil?

Anyway, I will use the service that Princess offers if there is no other way to obtain our VISA for the Princess cruise. But it sure doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!!!

Dawn

I got mine direct from the consulate in Miami $131.00 I think. Each consulate has their own rules I'll try and find a link for the CA consulate.

Thanks!!!

Dawn

The cost for the Visa itself is $140 plus a $20 fee if using the mail. Its the same amount as the US charges Brazilian Citizens to get a visa to the US....

http://www.brazilsf.org/visa_tourist_eng.htm

There are other visa service companies - if you want to price shop, just google for the information. Your other choice is to deal directly (that could mean in person, check on that) Find the info. on the Brazilian Embassy website.

We got our Visas in 2009 and ZVS earned every dollar of their fee. The Embassy kept them running around back & forth to see if our visa was ready - then they had to deal with telling me:eek:.

We came within 24 hours of having to cancel the trip due to the Embassy !! In fact, several people had to cancel.

The Visas are good for 5 years and we are using ours again in 2012 and the yellow fever shot is good for 10.

We didn't go thru all that to only use once.

Things may have calmed down since we got ours and you may not have such problems, but I would let the people that deal with this everyday do it .

Let us know how it goes,

M.A.

We need to get VISAs for our cruise in March 2011, departing Rio...

...Incidentially, my TA did not mention this and of course and I found out when I went on My Planner online....!

We trust that the requirements for your Yellow Fever vaccine has been covered.

There are other visa service companies - if you want to price shop, just google for the information. Your other choice is to deal directly (that could mean in person, check on that) Find the info. on the Brazilian Embassy website.

We got our Visas in 2009 and ZVS earned every dollar of their fee. The Embassy kept them running around back & forth to see if our visa was ready - then they had to deal with telling me:eek:.

We came within 24 hours of having to cancel the trip due to the Embassy !! In fact, several people had to cancel.

The Visas are good for 5 years and we are using ours again in 2012 and the yellow fever shot is good for 10.

We didn't go thru all that to only use once.

Things may have calmed down since we got ours and you may not have such problems, but I would let the people that deal with this everyday do it .

Let us know how it goes,

M.A.

I don't exactly want to price shop to any real degree, but I already knew the actual cost was $140 for the VISA and the company (on Princess website and the number to call) said the total was $212, so I already knew there was some major "service fees" being added on to the cost of the VISA.

And yes, we are going through all this for one trip...most likely. But we'd do it again for the experience of Carnival in Rio...so I'll just consider it the cost of Carnival!!!

But...didn't know about the shot! Thanks for that as well. Is that part of the requirements to obtain the VISA (I'm wondering when I would have learned about the shot as well).

Also, I can't even start the VISA process (too soon)...she said I must wait until November 9th (90 days before cruise)...I told her we were going earlier than the actual date of the cruise and she said it didn't matter--they use the date of the cruise (?).

I don't know why anyone would wait until the last minute to do this....and I don't think you said you did...so I'm not sure why you experienced the problems you did...but I'm just learning about this requirement so I suspect I will soon understand the bigger picture.

:)

I got mine direct from the consulate in Miami $131.00 I think. Each consulate has their own rules I'll try and find a link for the CA consulate.

Try This http://www.brazilian-consulate.org/ and a few visa services http://www.visaexpress.net/brazil/braziltouristvisa.htm http://www.traveldocs.com/index.htm

http://brazil.travisa.com/VisaInstructions.aspx?CountryID=BR&

Hope this helps It looks like its up to $140.00 now

Hi to the OP...I see you live in CA. We are in CA also and there is a Brazilian Embassy in LA - but you might check Sacramento/San Fran also to see if you can just go there and get this done without using the service.

We used ZVS for our China/India visas last year because the embassy's were not close to us; but for our trip to Rio this year, we are doing it ourselves. Also, there is still some questions about only getting the visa 90 days before you enter the country and then it is good for 5 years.

The Brazilian website still states you must enter the country within 90 days of getting the visa; but others on CC say that is an old rule....so we are still debating that issue.

Also, if you are just going to the coastal region of Brazil, which you probably are on your cruise, you will NOT need a YF vaccine. This is per the CDC website. Check it out. I printed off the website - this is very important to me since I can't get the YF shot due to medical issues.

You may even be on the same cruise we are on - Valpariso to Rio and Rio to FLL Feb/March 2011 on the Star???

So hope this gives you some info you can use....good luck.

Thank you very much for this link. I will NOT being using the service's of the 888 office that Princess gives you.

I hope to find information about the shot on there...is that a completely separate requirement or is it a requirement to get the VISA?

Thanks again.

Dawn

Hi- Believe me - no one that I know of waited until the last minute !! The Miami Embassy (among others) seemed to stall & stall. FlaCruiser was on our Cruise Critic roll call too and he was the only one who reported no problems. I think he was among the very few who went to the Embassy in person.

The Yellow Fever shot - we were required to have it because we went to Devil's Island before Brazil. If the Embassy and Princess say it's not required - then you don't have to get it. But make sure they both say the same thing.

Princess more than other cruiselines we deal with - put too much emphasis on the announcements being only on the website. And alot of TAs don't know all the ins & outs of visas, shots, malaria, etc.

Good Luck with it all,

M.A

Hi- Believe me - no one that I know of waited until the last minute !! The Miami Embassy (among others) seemed to stall & stall. FlaCruiser was on our Cruise Critic roll call too and he was the only one who reported no problems. I think he was among the very few who went to the Embassy in person.

The Yellow Fever shot - we were required to have it because we went to Devil's Island before Brazil. If the Embassy and Princess say it's not required - then you don't have to get it. But make sure they both say the same thing.

Princess more than other cruiselines we deal with - put too much emphasis on the announcements being only on the website. And alot of TAs don't know all the ins & outs of visas, shots, malaria, etc.

Good Luck with it all,

M.A

Wow...looks like I have a lot to learn. Heck, I don't even know where the Brazil Embassy is in California! I hope we don't have to fly somewhere to go there!!! I'm guessing Los Angeles, but that is just a guess.

I'll have to get into this in detail this weekend when I'm not working!

Thanks!!!!!

Dawn

I asked a similar question on the South America board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1263554&highlight=

Here's the website for the consulate general in San Francisco:

http://www.brazilsf.org/

You wonder how many Americans will be going to the Olympics in 2016 when they found out the process and cost for getting a Visa. Yes, I know that this is the same we charge Brazilians--but as some Brazilians have posted here--most Americans are not coming to Brazil to live illegally--only to spend money.

Thank you very much for this link. I will NOT being using the service's of the 888 office that Princess gives you.

I hope to find information about the shot on there...is that a completely separate requirement or is it a requirement to get the VISA?

Thanks again.

Dawn

One suggestion, check reviews online for whatever Visa service you decide to use. Last year we traveled through Brazil (non cruise) and got ripped off by a Visa service. Their website stated that they had been featured on MSNBC, USA Today and the New York Times so I figured they must be reputable. Not true!!! They basically stole our money plus we were out for the overnight shipping to them and to get our passports back to us. They never obtained a Visa.

Luckily I was able to get another Visa service to expedite our Visas and had them a week before our trip.

Good luck!

There is a Braziolian Consulate in San Francisco.

I don't recall the address, but used it a couple of times when we went to Brazil in 1991 and again in 1998. We were in the Bay Area then, so the location was convenient.

We thought the Consulate was somewhat difficult to deal with, and should we ever require another Brazilian Visa, I will use a visa service, and let them deal with the hassle.

There is a Braziolian Consulate in San Francisco.

I don't recall the address, but used it a couple of times when we went to Brazil in 1991 and again in 1998. We were in the Bay Area then, so the location was convenient.

The Consulate is somewhat difficult to deal with, and should we ever require another Brazilian Visa, I will use a visa service, and let them deal with the hassle.

Would you pay $72 per person to not deal with it?

I only ask because I do a lot of things that I don't think are difficult at all while others think I'm nuts (just like I thoroughly enjoy piecing together vacations from the minute detail to the larger ones).

I would love to hear from others that have gone through the process (locally...w/in their state).

I just wonder if the process has been fine tuned a bit in the past 12 years or so...it is possible and it is entirely possible that it is just as bad.

Thanks.

Dawn

Yes, I would pay $72 not to deal with it.

I very much felt we were being given a "runaround", and the Consulate employees were certainly not friendly nor helpful. Abrupt is a good descriptor.

It was not a walk in, get the Visa, walk out situation - had to appear between 9am/10am, fill out paper work, leave, and return after 2pm for pick-up.

Yes, I would pay $72 not to deal with it.

I very much felt we were being given a "runaround", and the Consulate employees were certainly not friendly nor helpful. Abrupt is a good descriptor.

It was not a walk in, get the Visa, walk out situation - had to appear between 9am/10am, fill out paper work, leave, and return after 2pm for pick-up.

We obtained our visas in San Francisco in 2005. At that time we submitted the paperwork and had to return a week later to pick up our passports with visas.

Abrupt is a very good descriptor, but the consulate employees were just as hard on Brazilians as they were on US citizens.

Here are a couple of links. First, the visa portion of the San Francisco consulate's website:

http://www.brazilsf.org/visa_eng.htm

Second, the FAQs:

http://www.brazilsf.org/visa_faq_eng.htm

The biggest "gotcha" was the requirement of having the specific flight information for your arrival and/or departure. They needed to know the specific flight number you were flying on, and it had to be a copy from the airline or travel agent. Since we used the Princess charter from FLL to Manaus, I ended up copying the air confirmation form from Princess Air. I used our Princess cruise confirmation for the departure information. For both of them I obscured the pricing information. The consulate doesn't need to know that information! ;)

I guess the question for kymbakitty is whether it's worth her time (and gas money) to drive back and forth from Roseville to San Francisco, or is that worth $72/visa?

We obtained our visas in San Francisco in 2005. At that time we submitted the paperwork and had to return a week later to pick up our passports with visas.

Abrupt is a very good descriptor, but the consulate employees were just as hard on Brazilians as they were on US citizens.

Here are a couple of links. First, the visa portion of the San Francisco consulate's website:

http://www.brazilsf.org/visa_eng.htm

Second, the FAQs:

http://www.brazilsf.org/visa_faq_eng.htm

The biggest "gotcha" was the requirement of having the specific flight information for your arrival and/or departure. They needed to know the specific flight number you were flying on, and it had to be a copy from the airline or travel agent. Since we used the Princess charter from FLL to Manaus, I ended up copying the air confirmation form from Princess Air. I used our Princess cruise confirmation for the departure information. For both of them I obscured the pricing information. The consulate doesn't need to know that information! ;)

I guess the question for kymbakitty is whether it's worth her time (and gas money) to drive back and forth from Roseville to San Francisco, or is that worth $72/visa?

Actually, we often go to San Francisco and this just gives us another reason to go. It's only an hour and a half to two hour drive and even though I would never live there (for many reasons), we never get tired of visiting for a day or weekend!!! Heck, we don't even get tired of Pier 39!

If it were in Los Angeles, it would be so worth $142....but now that I know it is in San Fran, that's a no brainer for me.

I have all the information for the flight. Everything was booked online (flight, etc.) so that would be suffiicient, I'm sure. And, we return from FLL, but they'll see that.

Thanks!!!!

Dawn

Actually, we often go to San Francisco and this just gives us another reason to go. It's only an hour and a half to two hour drive and even though I would never live there (for many reasons), we never get tired of visiting for a day or weekend!!! Heck, we don't even get tired of Pier 39!

If it were in Los Angeles, it would be so worth $142....but now that I know it is in San Fran, that's a no brainer for me.

I have all the information for the flight. Everything was booked online (flight, etc.) so that would be suffiicient, I'm sure. And, we return from FLL, but they'll see that.

Thanks!!!!

Dawn

You're very welcome. For us it's a BART ride from the East Bay into the city, so it's not a very hard decision.

What I learned last year is the consulate in the major cities they are located will only issue 20 or 25 Visas a day. If you show up with all of your paperwork and they have already hit their "limit" for the day they will make you come back.

When I was researching this last year I read that some people tried for two or three weeks before they finally got in the door of the local consulate.

For me to extra $70+ dollars per person was well worth the lack of frustration.

The visa requirement has been in place for many years. I had a Brazilian visa back in the mid-90's for work. It's not new. And it is true that it's not always easy to get a visa in person. Much easier to have a service do it for you. Plus, if the cost of a visa puts you over the edge, you probably shouldn't be doing the trip.

The visa requirement has been in place for many years. I had a Brazilian visa back in the mid-90's for work. It's not new. And it is true that it's not always easy to get a visa in person. Much easier to have a service do it for you. Plus' date=' if the cost of a visa puts you over the edge, you probably shouldn't be doing the trip.[/quote']

Maybe for work but this is post 9 -11 requirement for tourists. Just so people know at least Brazil refunds the money if they refuse to issue the visa. The US collects the money and requires a personal interview. After that they decide whether to issue the visa or not and if not no refunds....

It started out about 5 years ago that you could get it when you arrived at the airport in Brazil. They would take a Polaroid of you and throw it into a box. Now the advanced visa for a tourist is required. A work visa was always required but not a tourist one.

and while its really a distinction without a difference, its technically a reciprocity fee not a visa fee...

The visa requirement has been in place for many years. I had a Brazilian visa back in the mid-90's for work. It's not new. And it is true that it's not always easy to get a visa in person. Much easier to have a service do it for you. Plus' date=' if the cost of a visa puts you over the edge, you probably shouldn't be doing the trip.[/quote']

Personally, I couldn't agree with you more (if the cost of a visa puts you over the edge, you shouldn't be doing the trip). However, I am very fortunate to be able to save for vacations and I feel very lucky to have what I have. But to some, $424 is a lot of money and if you only call the 1-888 # Princess gives you, you may not even know about internet websites like this one (to learn that there are other ways to obtain VISA).

But the reality of it is that $424 CAN be a reason it pushes some folks over the $$-edge....why do you think some people remove automatic tips? I think it is because they haven't done their planning very well and need the money for other things for the cruise--very sad, but I think it's true.

We have never gone on a vacation w/out having paid for it in full before we left our house. But there are a lot of people that I know that are still charging their vacations--it's a mindset and never learning how to handle money (never understanding the concept that if you can't pay for it, YOU CANNOT afford to do it--whatever "it" may be).

I was just saying in the beginning that this extra fee could really hit someone in the face as not anticipated...but as a whole, I couldn't agree with you more.

:)

I went through this in 2008 in SF. I got my yellow fever shot at safeway a week or so before. I went to the consulate--on Montgomery Street--about 3 blocks from Market street and was there about 8:30 am....I would go early as possible. you stand in line and when they open, get a number and be prepared to wait. read all online information very very carefully--you have to pay in a specific way and you can get the passport/visa mailed back to you. I went back a week later and picked it up.

I think I waited about 2 hours. having the flight info for the cruise worked...

Archived