Rio for a first timer...

josephml1

Please let me now your opinions about a most do don´t miss in rio de janeiro.

Attractions, where to eat, your list of favorites, etc.

If you what mention your top ten list...

I am going to be in the area of the sheraton hotel and resort...

Thank You all:):):)

Please let me now your opinions about a most do don´t miss in rio de janeiro.

Attractions, where to eat, your list of favorites, etc.

If you what mention your top ten list...

I am going to be in the area of the sheraton hotel and resort...

Thank You all:):):)

All the opinions and comments are welcome...;)

You MUST go up Sugar Loaf and experience the unbelievable views. Possibly the most stunning urban view we have ever seen. It will stay with you for a lifetime. Corcorvado (sp) is fabulous as well.

Me too, we're doing a pre-cruise in December. I've almost picked out the hotel, and I'm in the process of dickering about air. I'm so looking forward to this--my husband's been there, so we won't be complete neophytes.

We're looking in Ipanema, although our friends got a good deal on a hotel on Copacabana.

Me too, we're doing a pre-cruise in December. I've almost picked out the hotel, and I'm in the process of dickering about air. I'm so looking forward to this--my husband's been there, so we won't be complete neophytes.

We're looking in Ipanema, although our friends got a good deal on a hotel on Copacabana.

We are leaning toward the Windsor Excelsior in Copa for it gives free shuttle only back to airport and it is listed on Trip Advisor as # 3. Did price check on all the sites and come up with about $160 - 182. Seems to be in the heart of everything. If you come up with any good buys if you don't mind, please share.

We stayed at the Caeser Park on Ipanema which was great, I think the Ipanema beach is a little buit safe than Copocabana.

As well as the essential Sugaloaf and Corcovado trips, the botanical gardens are also pretty, and the old fashined tram ride to Santa Maria is interesting. Plus some time on the beautiful beaches.

We did everything on our own without any problems, but we did dress down, and not carry cameras or wear any jewellery.

We just returned from a great cruise on the

Mariner of the Seas with a two-day stopover in Rio (used the ship as our hotel) this last January. We hired a private guide for the two days and he was great !!

Please contact me at: sherrie6269@msn.com for his information. (I have

gotten my hands slapped for making recommendations of specific tour

agenices/tour operators in the past). Definately do Sugarloaf - hopefully

in the late afternoon to catch the sunset - fantastic photo opts - and

save Christ the Redeemer for the next morning - not too early - so the fog

has time to burn off - but before the temps get really warm. Catch a samba show - you don't have to go where all the tourists end up - but you will need a guide to get you into the samba schools rehersals especially during the evening Go to the

"tiled steps" which took the artist 20 years to create and definately

have lunch or dinner at Procao' (fantastic Brazilian BBQ restaurant - my

mouth waters at the very mention of this restaurant !!). A personal guide

would be much safer and save you lots of time getting to the different sites as well as help with tickets, bargaining for shopping, etc. Ours was

with us 24/7 - used his own airconditioned car. We had a really great and stress-free visit.

Having just finished a Grand South America Voyage where we had 2 days in Rio, I sugest you book a guide for at least one day. We saw everything we wanted and a lot more than we thought possible in 6 hours. We were picked up and dropped back at the port by our guide (in her car). She went out of her way to help us post goods back home in Australia, even finding cartons for us. I would highly recommend Neyla- Neyla Tourguide (neyla@tourguideneyla.com). We had a wonderful day.

Great choices... Thank You all for taking the time to post in this thread, I am making a list with your suggestions...:)

We are going to stay in the Sheraton hotel and resort in Ipanema:confused: Any thoughts???

Great choices... Thank You all for taking the time to post in this thread, I am making a list with your suggestions...:)

We are going to stay in the Sheraton hotel and resort in Ipanema:confused: Any thoughts???

If it is the Sheraton hotel and Resort and NOT the Sheraton Towers, don't book it.

It is in an isolated place. Only beach in the world where I have seen ARMED guards. Right next to a favela (barrio) and it is not the safest place in Rio outside the hotel grounds proper. Lovely hotel, but isolated. No way can you walk to anything (well, you can, but it involves a walk down a heavily traveled road across a bridge that is for only one person-or a cut across the beach).

I had a business meeting to attend a few years ago. I booked the entire USA contingent into the Sheraton (had stayed there 2 or three times before). A few took a look around and checked out. It was just too isolated and secluded for a trip to Rio.

Find someplace else. You will be far happier.

Thanks for the update on the Sheraton for I was starting to feel bad that I didn't book it. Still looking around for something nice but not too expensive. Waiting on a reply about the Windsor Excelsior from someone that lives in Rio and hope that he can enlighten us.

If it is the Sheraton hotel and Resort and NOT the Sheraton Towers, don't book it.

It is in an isolated place. Only beach in the world where I have seen ARMED guards. Right next to a favela (barrio) and it is not the safest place in Rio outside the hotel grounds proper. Lovely hotel, but isolated. No way can you walk to anything (well, you can, but it involves a walk down a heavily traveled road across a bridge that is for only one person-or a cut across the beach).

I had a business meeting to attend a few years ago. I booked the entire USA contingent into the Sheraton (had stayed there 2 or three times before). A few took a look around and checked out. It was just too isolated and secluded for a trip to Rio.

Find someplace else. You will be far happier.

Yes, is the Sheraton Hotel and Resort I have a medical Convention there...

Too bad is so isolated:(

I am making arrangements for a guided tour that pick me up in my hotel:D.

Also I need information about the Hang Gliding in Rio... Any opinions.???

Yes, is the Sheraton Hotel and Resort I have a medical Convention there...

Too bad is so isolated:(

I am making arrangements for a guided tour that pick me up in my hotel:D.

Also I need information about the Hang Gliding in Rio... Any opinions.???

That explains it-lots of conferences/conventions held at the Sheraton. It truly is a lovely to look at hotel. But the beauty is only skin deep. But for a few days, you will be fine.

I will ask the kids this weekend about hang gliding. When we went to Carnival, the boys went hang gliding someplace. They arranged it on their own, but I know they had a great time. Will post back when they provide any info.

That explains it-lots of conferences/conventions held at the Sheraton. It truly is a lovely to look at hotel. But the beauty is only skin deep. But for a few days, you will be fine.

I will ask the kids this weekend about hang gliding. When we went to Carnival, the boys went hang gliding someplace. They arranged it on their own, but I know they had a great time. Will post back when they provide any info.

I will look forward for the info about the Hang Glading...:D

Thanks Again;):)

...the Windsor Excelsior ...

I stayed in the Windsor Excelsior a couple of years ago and found the location perfect.

Subway and bus stations close by allow to venture out for sightseeing very easily.

The hotel is right on Copacabana beach next to the Copacabana Palace. If you want to spent some time at the beach or to walk around in an safe area, you are right there.

On the downside, if this important for you, it does have only a small rooftop pool. Yet, it is nice enough and the views are spectacular.

I also used the airport shuttle without problems.

I have a guide that I can recommend highly, Pedro Novak

pnovak@privatetours.com.br. He can certainly recommend a hotel that is safe and sound. Meets you at the airport, stays with you, handles tickets, English excellent. I can't say enough about him.

Thanking you for the recommendation. We have gotten so many good reviews on personal guides and accomodations. Every cruise we go on we have listen to the reviews of the cruise critic members and never been steered wrong.

Thanking you for the recommendation. We have gotten so many good reviews on personal guides and accomodations. Every cruise we go on we have listen to the reviews of the cruise critic members and never been steered wrong.

You are most welcome. Enjoy Rio. The Statue of Christ is awesome. The highlight of the tour.

Does anyone know anything about the Hang gliding in Rio???

Please let me know is it safe?

Thank You All.;)

Hi Joseph,

As promised, I spoke to the boys a couple hour ago about their hang gliding adventure in Rio. They couldn't remember the EXACT name but thought it was Fly Me or Fly something. A Google search turned up JustFly. I called the boys back after reading the info on the website and they said the guy's name was Paul something, so that matches up with the website. They said they paid about $100.00pp, so that also matches up with what the website says. So I am making a very educated guess that this is the company they used. They were pleased and had a great time. And it looks like the owner has all kinds of certifications. It would certainly be worth an email. Good luck and Enjoy!!!

http://www.justfly.com.br/

Hi Joseph,

As promised, I spoke to the boys a couple hour ago about their hang gliding adventure in Rio. They couldn't remember the EXACT name but thought it was Fly Me or Fly something. A Google search turned up JustFly. I called the boys back after reading the info on the website and they said the guy's name was Paul something, so that matches up with the website. They said they paid about $100.00pp, so that also matches up with what the website says. So I am making a very educated guess that this is the company they used. They were pleased and had a great time. And it looks like the owner has all kinds of certifications. It would certainly be worth an email. Good luck and Enjoy!!!

http://www.justfly.com.br/

Very useful information...

Thank You Very Much.:):):)

Our cruise buddies are booked at the Windsor Excelsior as well, and got a great price. We decided we'd prefer Ipanema, so are booked at the Promenade Visconti. Sounds perfectly good to us, in a nice area. My husband David stayed in Ipanema about 10 years ago and liked it. The shuttle from the airport is tempting, I must admit.

You will find lots of info about Rio including answers to your specific questions at the tripadvisor Rio forum---http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g303506-i1199-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html

Use the search function for hang gliding, Windsor Excelsior, Porcao, Sheraton etc as well as accessing the generic pages linked to the forum chat site.

Archived