bigger passenger

closure

When I was speaking to the flight attendant on my flight where I only had 2/3 of my seat, she told me that as long as a person can lower the arm on the seat they don't have to purchase 2 seats. I probably could have complained before we took off but as there were no empty seats I was afraid they would have made me take a different flight as the woman sitting next to me was already in her seat. I really didn't want to do that and I would have felt bad trying to make the airlines kick off the passenger next to me.

The armrest is the diffinitive boundary on most airlines so what the flight attendent told you is correct. Most airlines go by the armrest rule . In fact Southwest Airlines actually publishes it on its' website.

Following copied directly from Southwest Airlines Website:

Customers of Size Policy

Guidelines for Customers of Size
Link directly to website

Customers who encroach upon any part of the neighboring seat(s) should proactively book the needed number of seats prior to travel. The armrest is considered to be the definitive boundary between seats and measures 17 inches in width. The purchase of additional seats serves as a notification to Southwest of a special seating need. Most importantly, it ensures that all Customers onboard have access to safe and comfortable seating. You may contact us for a refund of the cost of additional seating after travel, provided the flight does not oversell (which means having more confirmed Customers than seats on the aircraft).

Edited by xxoocruiser

Those that take up more than just their seat, know that when they book.

If you are sitting next to me then you should at least offer to pay for half of my seat that you are spilling over to.

I do not have any dislike for "fluffy" people. I just do not wish to share my paid for seat with you.

When I was speaking to the flight attendant on my flight where I only had 2/3 of my seat, she told me that as long as a person can lower the arm on the seat they don't have to purchase 2 seats. I probably could have complained before we took off but as there were no empty seats I was afraid they would have made me take a different flight as the woman sitting next to me was already in her seat. I really didn't want to do that and I would have felt bad trying to make the airlines kick off the passenger next to me.

On most airlines they would have deplaned the passenger of size, not you. It's right in the contract of carriage.

Here's a question and I'm not sure if this was mentioned before or not, but I'm a 400+ guy and was wondering if I can take my Big Mans Folding Camping Chari along and use it only on my balcony?

Here's a link to what I'm talking about,

http://www.koolestproducts.com/p-14-maxxdaddy-monster-folding-camp-chair.aspx

Thanks in advance and sorry if this was asked before.

Sorry for bringing up a old question, but my cruise is next weekend and I'm still contemplating taking my chair and was wondering if anyone has done this and if so, do you recommend carrying it on or putting it with checked luggage? I thought I had read somewhere else that they don't allow this anymore? Also attached is a picture since the link is no longer good.

It would only be out on my balcony when I'm using it and would be folded up in my room when not in use.

Again, Thanks for any advice in advance!

14-250x250.jpg.c12047a0f1c99beebad40d102969a447.jpg

Sorry for bringing up a old question, but my cruise is next weekend and I'm still contemplating taking my chair and was wondering if anyone has done this and if so, do you recommend carrying it on or putting it with checked luggage? I thought I had read somewhere else that they don't allow this anymore? Also attached is a picture since the link is no longer good.

It would only be out on my balcony when I'm using it and would be folded up in my room when not in use.

I have NOT done this, but I do have one. Very heavy & sturdy.

I say bring it and put it with the checked luggage.

Please let us know how this worked out! I am thinking about taking mine also :)

First time poster, long time follower (of this thread... :) ).

My husband and I are seasoned Carnival cruisers but are starting to branch out and test the waters on the other lines. We are currently booked on the Freedom of the Seas for Octoner 2013 and am wondering if anyone here has been to Labadee as one of their port of calls. We really want to do the Castaway at Malfini excursion, however it shows a weight restriction of 250lbs. I posted to the port of calls and have been trying to reach RCI via the live chat today to get more info.

We are both over the 250 restriction but just really want to know what the restriction is for. If it is for their lounge chairs, that's fine, I'll be in the water the whole time but if it is something else, I'd just like to know.

Thanks in advance and thank you to the OP for creating this thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering how this worked out??

Just wondering how this worked out??

It worked out very well, I ended up putting it with my checked luggage and it arrived with my other checked luggage just fine. Kept it in my room when not in use and nothing was said. I also did the same at the end of the cruise, put it out with my other luggage and it was sitting with my other bag when I got off the ship.

First time poster, long time follower (of this thread... :) ).

My husband and I are seasoned Carnival cruisers but are starting to branch out and test the waters on the other lines. We are currently booked on the Freedom of the Seas for Octoner 2013 and am wondering if anyone here has been to Labadee as one of their port of calls. We really want to do the Castaway at Malfini excursion, however it shows a weight restriction of 250lbs. I posted to the port of calls and have been trying to reach RCI via the live chat today to get more info.

We are both over the 250 restriction but just really want to know what the restriction is for. If it is for their lounge chairs, that's fine, I'll be in the water the whole time but if it is something else, I'd just like to know.

Thanks in advance and thank you to the OP for creating this thread.

RC's restrictions are set by the tour operator, not RC.

RC does not know why the tour operator set the restrictions.

RC does not care.

Book the tour and see if the tour operator rejects you at the tour.

BUT if the tour is something like zip lining, I would skip it for safety concerns.

Just my opinion.

It worked out very well, I ended up putting it with my checked luggage and it arrived with my other checked luggage just fine. Kept it in my room when not in use and nothing was said. I also did the same at the end of the cruise, put it out with my other luggage and it was sitting with my other bag when I got off the ship.

Awesome!! Thanks for the response!

Sorry for bringing up a old question, but my cruise is next weekend and I'm still contemplating taking my chair and was wondering if anyone has done this and if so, do you recommend carrying it on or putting it with checked luggage? I thought I had read somewhere else that they don't allow this anymore? !

I emailed Royal Caribbean about bringing my 800 lb Travel Chair onboard and they said it would not be a problem. They also said the deck lounge chairs on Oasis of the Seas are rated for 215 or 250 lbs. Not sure if she meant there are two kinds or she didn't get a definitive answer. That seems pretty light with the size of the American public today. I normally count on some engineering reserve capacity in seating but I don't think I would try to put my 330 lbs in either of those. My wife and I will be driving to the port so no worries about checked baggage. If I had to fly I think I would try to check it.

I hate the seats being tipped back on planes also! I am a large person, but even if I wasn't, I don't think airline seats should be able to recline. There is so little space as it is, that the recline position should no longer be an option on planes. It does not go back far enough to really make any difference in someone's comfort who is in the reclining seat, and really makes those behind it so uncomfortable!

I had this happen on an 11 hour flight to Amsterdam. I needed to get up to to to the bathroom and the jerk wouldn't move. I don't like to be confrontational but I also don't want to have an "accident", so I just shoved his seat up and to get up and before I could even stand, he jumped up and went whining to the flight attendants. Obviously they were on my side and made him sit back down. My friends sitting next to me moved to different seats so I would not have to deal with him, thank goodness!

Just a note, if you aren't disabled please don't book an accessible cabin as they are the only cabins that those passengers in wheelchairs can use....and believe me they are hard to get! :)

As a person who is obese AND in a wheelchair, I will highly disagree with you on this. There are many types of disabilities that require a hca room. Let the cruiselines do their job to screen who asks for a Hca room!

thereby possibly preventing someone with a real disability from using the hc cabin. Seriously....only book a cruise that has a cabin with a toilet you're capable of using. Don't book a hc cabin just because you can't find another one you can fit into. :eek: Find another cruise. Seriously!

wrong on so many levels!!!

As someone that must have an accessible cabin to cruise ( I am an amputee) Miss Rabbit has as much right to one as I do...anyone that really 'needs' an accessible cabin for whatever reason should have one if the itinerary, ship and cost meets their needs. They will have to book as early as I do for the cruse because there are so few cabins that meet our needs. I often find that the cruise I want has no accessilbe cabins even one year in advance.

Who are we to judge.

Exactly! :D:D:D

As a person who is obese AND in a wheelchair, I will highly disagree with you on this. There are many types of disabilities that require a hca room. Let the cruiselines do their job to screen who asks for a Hca room!

Siggy, I stated that if you are NOT disabled please do not try to book an accessible cabin...aren't we in agreement there? As a disabled person I have no doubt that you have run into many handicap cheaters yourself. In the past the cruise lines have not done a very good job screening passengers, however, things have changed recently and they are monitoring those cabins more closely now, which helps disabled passengers of all sizes.

I have an embarrassing question....we are booked in a regular balcony cabin and as a person of size am i going to have any problem using the toilet? Are bathrooms in the spa any different?? or the public restrooms?? I have been on a cruise once and don't really remember having problems but since then i have had some issues with knees and other things and have gained weight since. :o

I have an embarrassing question....we are booked in a regular balcony cabin and as a person of size am i going to have any problem using the toilet? Are bathrooms in the spa any different?? or the public restrooms?? I have been on a cruise once and don't really remember having problems but since then i have had some issues with knees and other things and have gained weight since. :o

Not quite certain as to what information you are specifically requesting. Also washrooms can vary between Cruise Lines , Ships and also within the same ship. So generally speaking :

• All toilets in standard cabins are on average 15" high.
  • This also applies to Spa Washrooms and Public Washrooms, unless it's specifically marked to be a HC Acessible Washroom, in which case the toilet height can vary from 16" - 18" in height .
  • There are no grab bars located near the toilet in standard washrooms.
  • Other than toilets that are specifically marked to HC Accessible, I have found no difference between Spa Washrooms versus Public Washrooms throughout the ship versus Standard Cabins.

If it's the actual height of the toilet you are concerned about , you can contact the Special Needs Department of the cruise line in question to request a toilet raiser. This is generally provided free of charge by the cruise line.

• 4 weeks later...

MY DH has really bad knees and he had no problems with the toilet in our stateroom bathroom on the Silhouette. He's a big guy and he had no issues at all. The bathroom was surprisingly big. We were in it together at one point. I was afraid the thing would come off the wall, but everything worked just fine.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on cave tubing in Belize? For some reason this one concerns me. DH and I are both large people. Wondering abou the trek through the jungle and sitting in the tubes? What about the life vest? Did they have life vests that fit you? Do the tubes have a weight limit? I see one company says 300+ lbs. isn't a problem (I am below but DH is above), but I am still concerned, but it sounds like a great excursion I don't want fear to stop me.