Anyone have recent experience with My Friend Mario?

GizFriend

We recently sailed RCCL's Grandeur of the Seas from Colon to Miami (April 15-18, 2012). Flew in the day before - and boarded Grandeur the following day at around 1 pm.

Getting in touch with MyFriendMario via email was somewhat difficult. Took a week to get a response to our initial inquiry. Successfully scheduled a transfer from PTY to our downtown Panama City hotel for $25 (for two persons and two pieces of luggage) (and cash only and due upon arrival to the hotel). Mario uses a Blackberry and is apparently more responsive to service requests that are more immediate than later.

Upon exiting customs, we were worried that our driver would be a no-show as we didn't see anyone holding a sign with my name on it. The driver came running in about 10 minutes later. Driver's name was Mario (apparently, the owner of MyFriendMario works with 4-5 different drivers who's name is also Mario) - and this Mario was great. Spoke very good English and was quite the avid tour guide as he spoke enthusiastically about Panama's topography and history.

We arranged to have the same Mario pick us up the following morning at 8 am (promptly) to take us to Colon and with stops at Gatun Locks and the rainforest. I believe we paid $125 total for the entire morning (about 4.5-5 hours total). Was well worth it and lots of fun!

We would use MyFriendMario's services again without hesitation.

• 4 weeks later...

We just got off Island Princess. We booked with Mario. He took a few days to reply, but he did, and we arranged a tour for 10. Rey was our guide, possibly the best guide we've ever had on a private tour!

We did the Panama City Tour, which included a tour of the Locks. Unfortunately for him, one couple was sick, one was a no-show, and we had one extra, making our group only 7, in a 23 passenger bus!

Rey made a super guide, as his dad was American, his mom Panamanian. He spent time in America, as he was drafted and spent a few years here. His English was very easy to understand! He was great on the local history.

I would highly recommend Rey for a guide, and Mario was good to work with, once we connected. Price for the small group was $45 pp. We tipped Rey a bit more than we might have, beings he was short passengers.

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Colon in March 2013 on Equinox and are considering an MFM tour. The Rainforest , Fort and Canal tour sounds good. We wondered how much time is spent sitting on the bus looking out the window and how much time is spent outside of the bus on your feet? Do you actually walk through the rainforest?

We will be in Colon in March 2013 on Equinox and are considering an MFM tour. The Rainforest , Fort and Canal tour sounds good. We wondered how much time is spent sitting on the bus looking out the window and how much time is spent outside of the bus on your feet? Do you actually walk through the rainforest?

I don't remember how much time was spent for everything. We did go for a walk in the rain forest. We did walk around the fort. We walked up to the locks at the canal and watched for quite a while.

Since you're be sailing into Colon instead of driving from Panama City, very little time will be spent driving around. The rainforest, Fort and Canal are all within a 15-20 minute radius.

Yes, you do actually walk through the rainforest. But it isn't really that big of a deal. Guide will probably take you through a series of paved roads - and then take you for a walk down a graveled path to a nice looking beach. We saw sloth and an anteater - but strangely, no monkeys. If we had to do it again, we might skip this - and instead do just a tour of the Locks. But then again, the rainforest was only about 5-10 minutes from Gatun.

I have tried to find My Friend Mario Tours several times. The website, www.myfriendmario.com takes me to an ERROR page.

Am I doing something wrong? Or, is this a sign that I should take the Panatrain from Panama City to Colon, instead?

In the past there have been problems sending him emails through the webpage, give this one shot; viajesalmiza@hotmail.com

• 1 year later...

Just returned from the Vision of the Seas - used my friend Mario for transfer from Panama City to colon. Very disappointed. They sent a guy the did not speak any English and sent us incorrect info. I realize they don't speak English there but since all of my correspondence to them was in English, I assumed the guy would at least be able to understand us. Also, when we got to the port, he did not have the proper documentation to get through the gates and was being questioned by the local police. We finally got in but don't know how he did it.

Just returned from the Vision of the Seas - used my friend Mario for transfer from Panama City to colon. Very disappointed. They sent a guy the did not speak any English and sent us incorrect info. I realize they don't speak English there but since all of my correspondence to them was in English, I assumed the guy would at least be able to understand us. Also, when we got to the port, he did not have the proper documentation to get through the gates and was being questioned by the local police. We finally got in but don't know how he did it.

That's a shame. The guide we had used to be a teacher and he was great. The tour was the highlight of our trip

We embarked from Colon last year in December. We used My Friend Mario to drive us from our Hotel in Panama City to Colon. We stopped at Gatun Locks. We had a very pleasant experience. Our driver was very informative and the Gatun Locks were fascinating.

I recommend My Friend highly.

By the way, we scheduled My Friend to pick us up in Colon on our return. The problem was, the cruise line got us there 4 hours early and there was no way to contact our driver. We had to wait in the hot, humid loading area - I blame the cruise line for that.

• 1 month later...

Just got back.

Our cruise didn't go through the Panama Canal, but we did stop at Colon. There's nothing at the port itself, so you really need to get out and explore. One thing we really wanted to do was to see the Panama Canal, though we didn't feel a need to have to ride through it at great expense. We prearranged the "Rainforest (Watching Birds and Monkeys) + San Lorenzo Fort + Gatun Locks" private tour through Almiza Tours (aka My Friend Mario) for US$60 per adult. The tour ran from 8:40am to 3:30pm (ship time). The tour included: Transfer from and to the Colon dock, touring in air conditioned minibus, an English/Spanish speaking guide, beverages (bottled Cokes, water, and local beer), a stop for fruit, and entrance fees to both Gatun locks (a set of locks on the Panama Canal) and San Lorenzo National park (which includes another fort to explore).

Our bus had seats for about 30 people, but only fits about 16 comfortably as each pair of seats really only fit 1.5 people. We had 26 passengers plus a driver, our guide, and a spotter (who was genuinely proficient at spotting wildlife). Let's just say we got to know each other really well.

The Gutan Locks are located 30 minutes from the pier. We got there in time to watch a huge cargo ship, with barely a few inches on either side of it, enter and exit the Gutan locks guided by mules (powerful little electric-powered train-like locomotive). Each lock is 1050 feet long, 110 feet wide, and 42 feet deep. As ships go through the 3 locks, they are raised or lowered a total of 85-feet. Each of the 3 chambers requires almost 27 Million gallons of water to lift a ship to the required hight before moving into the next lock. Interestingly, the Panama Canal was celebrating it's Centenial in 2014.

We then drove through the rain forest and took a short narrated walk. We saw Howler Monkeys, 2 or 3 sloths, and lots of flora and fauna. Panama has some 2300 spieces of trees.

Following the hike we stopped at Fort San Lorenzo, a late 1500's fort located near Ft. Sherman, an old US military base. Buccaneer Henry Morgan attacked the fort in 1670, leaving it in ruins, and then sacked the city of Panama a year later. It's a cool fort, in need of repair, with lots of cannons and good picture opportunities. We stopped for cold local pineapple and watermellon on the way back to the ship.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/panama-canal.jpg

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

First-hand information on excursions we've taken in 24 Caribbean ports. With photos!

• 6 months later...

We (four people) hired My Friend Mario for our day off of our cruise ship - Oct 11/14 - in Panama City. We made arrangements to be picked up at a bus stop near the cruise terminal at 9:00 a.m.

My Friend Mario picked us up and provided an excellent day tour of Panama City. He was extremely knowledgeable about Panama and Panama City. Our day started with a trip to the Miraflores Locks with some time on the viewing deck as a cargo ship was manoeuvred through the locks and then some time in the museum.

We then went on to do some geocaching in nearby areas. My Friend Mario was very helpful in this regard as we directed him to various places on our map. He then took us up Cerro Ancon before taking us to a Panamanian restaurant for lunch (with wifi).

After lunch he took us on a tour of Old Panama, Colonial Panama and the new City. We ended with a drive on the causeway on the way back to our cruise ship and a drop off at 5:00 p.m.

We were very impressed with the quality of the tour provided and pleased with the ability to enjoy a tour, and the chance to incorporate the geocaching experience we wanted.

We would highly recommend contacting My Friend Mario when you are in Panama. We made contact with him through Facebook and then via email.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know this thread goes back a way and I’m not sure who is still subscribed.

In two weeks we board the Equinox which will make a stop at Colon. I booked MFM’s 7 hour canal and Rain Forrest tour. I also have a reservation (cancellable) for Celebrity’s Canal tour. This takes you to a ferry (90 minutes) puts you on the ferry through the locks for 3-4 hours and then 90 minute bus ride back to the ship. The cost was $170 vs MFM’s “land tour” for about $60. Yes there is a big difference in price but you only live once. I’m afraid I’ll get bored on the Ferry and I’ve been through a small lock before in Canada. So I’m curious if someone who was on a Cruise ship stopping in Colon and took MFM’s Gatun Locks and Rainforrest tour could tell me if they felt they experienced the Canal enough.

Also, someone else asked – but I don’t remember seeing and answer – how much of the 7 hours was spent on the bus?

And lastly, one person talked about how little room there was on the bus. I’m 6’ 3” and have long legs and wondering if others had this issue. I can’t just squeeze in.

All comments and feedback are welcome. I didn’t have any problem contacting him and quite a few of the folks on our CC Roll call are on MFM’s tour too!

Steve

"So I’m curious if someone whowas on a Cruise ship stopping in Colon and took MFM’s Gatun Locks and Rainforrest tour could tell me if they felt they experienced the Canal enough."

First of all, I have not taken any of Mario's tours, but it is good to see their web site up and running as the last few times I went to it the only thing I found was a 404! I assume you are considering the tour they call Rain Forrest, Monkeys, Colonial Fort and Gatun Locks... I have no idea of your interest level of the Canal is, I know for some people the 1 hour or so stop at Gatun is more than enough Canal. For others that quick visit would just be a teaser and Gatun is just one piece of the puzzle. Your visit to Ft. San Lorenzo (the Colonial fort) will take you back to the 1500s and give you some insight to Panama's pre Canal history.

"how much of the 7 hours was spent on the bus?"

The furthest point in your tour will be out to Ft. San Lorenzo, while the old Fort is not that far from Colon there are some obstacles, one is they have to allow time for the bus to cross Gatun Locks. The crossing at the Locks is a one way vehicular bridge that is completely at the mercy of ship traffic. So the one way trip out to the Fort could go beyond the normal "less than one hour" ride if you have to wait for ship traffic. The other obstacle is once you get on the other side of the Locks the road out to the Fort is not in good shape, at least it wasn't when I was there this past April.

Edited by BillB48

I assume you are considering the tour they call Rain Forrest, Monkeys, Colonial Fort and Gatun Locks... I have no idea of your interest level of the Canal is, I know for some people the 1 hour or so stop at Gatun is more than enough Canal. For others that quick visit would just be a teaser and Gatun is just one piece of the puzzle. Your visit to Ft. San Lorenzo (the Colonial fort) will take you back to the 1500s and give you some insight to Panama's pre Canal history.

Thanks for the fast reply Bill. I guess I have a moderate interest in the canal. My take watching the videos on You tube - are that folks take the ferry to say they went into the canal and to take photos FROM the Ferry. But it seemed slow. And - if I'm correct - it is not air conditioned. And MFM would get me - safely - to other parts of Panama. So leaning towards that. But have a week or two to decide.

Steve

Thanks for the fast reply Bill. I guess I have a moderate interest in the canal. My take watching the videos on You tube - are that folks take the ferry to say they went into the canal and to take photos FROM the Ferry. But it seemed slow. And - if I'm correct - it is not air conditioned. And MFM would get me - safely - to other parts of Panama. So leaning towards that. But have a week or two to decide.

Steve

The link will take you to a description of the vessel that is frequently used for the "ferry" excursions through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut. It does have air conditioned areas, however I don't know of any way to know if that it will be the vessel or not.

Whichever you choose... enjoy!!

http://www.pmatours.net/pacific_queen/about_pacific_queen.html

Not that it is typical, but when we took the cruise last year, the ferry going thru' the canal on the Princess tour wasn't able to go thru' as expected because the ship it was supposed to go thru' with broke down. THey had to wait for an appropriate size ship to pair them with. This took hours. It started to pour and rain, and they had a bimini top they huddled under. They also had no food. They returned to the ship hours later than expected. Since there were hundreds of people and it was ship sponsored, the ship left port several hours late. I felt badly for everyone.

Again, this isn't typical and shouldn't be expected to occur.

Linda

The link will take you to a description of the vessel that is frequently used for the "ferry" excursions through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut. It does have air conditioned areas, however I don't know of any way to know if that it will be the vessel or not.

Thanks again Bill. We are in Colon on Sat 1/17/15 and the schedle for that date shows "full passage northboard" boarding at 7:30 am. We don't dock until 8 am - and leave at 6pm. So it might be another company that day.

But I did watch two You tubes (well done) of the Canal Tour from the Equinox (our ship) so I got some idea of what yiu see on the ferry.

Steve

Thanks again Bill. We are in Colon on Sat 1/17/15 and the schedle for that date shows "full passage northboard" boarding at 7:30 am. We don't dock until 8 am - and leave at 6pm. So it might be another company that day.

But I did watch two You tubes (well done) of the Canal Tour from the Equinox (our ship) so I got some idea of what yiu see on the ferry.

Steve

that's a nicer ferry than people on my ship described.

• 2 months later...

I've been reading through the various tour guide sites for Colon stop on our cruise. Just want to see the Gatun Locks. Not into the Fort or other stops.

Would it be safe to just take a taxi when we dock (Equinox) in December? I remember getting off the ship in Colon just to shop and the area was a bit intimidating.

Thanks

When I was there last, there was a taxi dispatcher of sorts that would arrange for a cab within the shopping mall parking area. While I don't feel there is anything inherently unsafe about hiring a cab, I would just suggest that you make sure on what you are going to do and the price beforehand. Another thing would be make sure the cabbie's English skills are sufficient.

Are you just interested in Gatun Locks? The new expansion locks should be practically complete by December are close by and have a very nice visitor's center along with a place to eat... if they haven't fed you enough on the ship!

I've been reading through the various tour guide sites for Colon stop on our cruise. Just want to see the Gatun Locks. Not into the Fort or other stops.

Would it be safe to just take a taxi when we dock (Equinox) in December? I remember getting off the ship in Colon just to shop and the area was a bit intimidating.

Thanks

I think Mario may have a shorter tour but honestlt, taking a cab and having him wait 90 minutes to bring yiu back may cost as much as a "tour). And I really enjoyed seeing the fort and walking through the rainforrest. But that might not be of interest to yiu- as you said.

• 4 months later...

Thanks

We're going to be on this cruise as well, but haven't decided on which tour to take...