Sailing Solo

Scrapnana

Looked through Viking's website and was very impressed with the renderings of the new ship. The prices seemed quite reasonable considering what is included. My concern is about sailing solo. Considering the size of the ship would a solo stand out? I've read through the threads and everyone seems to be part of a couple. There also is no mention of what the single supplements will be. Anyone out there a solo cruiser or know anything about sailing solo on a small ship?

Looked through Viking's website and was very impressed with the renderings of the new ship. The prices seemed quite reasonable considering what is included. My concern is about sailing solo. Considering the size of the ship would a solo stand out? I've read through the threads and everyone seems to be part of a couple. There also is no mention of what the single supplements will be. Anyone out there a solo cruiser or know anything about sailing solo on a small ship?

I am sailing solo on the July 25- 29 day sailing. I sail solo all the time on Holland America (who charge only 140% for an ocean view cabin and 190% for a verandah). I find there are lots of singles cruising these days and you make friends easily, even with the couples!

Leslie

• 4 years later...
Do solo cruisers with Viking pay the same amount as if there were two passengers booked? Assuming it costs US 3000 per person in double occupancy, do solo passengers pay US 6000?

This is what they mean when some have posted on this thread saying it's 200%.

That means one person pays as if there are two in the room.

Keith

• 1 month later...

I just got a quote for the Viking Alaska Cruise in 2019 for a single. I wanted a DV2 cabin. My price almost 10,000 equals the cost for a couple. In addition, they had the nerve to charge me an additional 5,000 for the single supplement which was reversed out as a discount so my total price was still 10,000. I don't understand why I got charged a single supplement when I was already charged for the entire cabin. They reversed the supplement thinking I would be grateful. However because of this I have decided not to book with Viking Ocean Cruises since they seem to be discouraging singles. I did one cruise with Holland and a single ends up paying equal to a couple. However there is no "additional" single supplement and Holland at least gives you shipboard credits.

I just got a quote for the Viking Alaska Cruise in 2019 for a single. I wanted a DV2 cabin. My price almost 10,000 equals the cost for a couple. In addition, they had the nerve to charge me an additional 5,000 for the single supplement which was reversed out as a discount so my total price was still 10,000. I don't understand why I got charged a single supplement when I was already charged for the entire cabin. They reversed the supplement thinking I would be grateful. However because of this I have decided not to book with Viking Ocean Cruises since they seem to be discouraging singles. I did one cruise with Holland and a single ends up paying equal to a couple. However there is no "additional" single supplement and Holland at least gives you shipboard credits.

I would share these thoughts directly with Viking at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

I would share these thoughts directly with Viking at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

thanks for the suggestion. I know the end cost of my cruise is the same but the way the invoice was worded was very irritating for a single traveler. I have calmed down so I may still take a viking ocean cruise because of all the wonderful reviews from people. It is interesting that even this far in advance for the May 26 2019 Alaska Cruise the cabins I wanted on deck 5 were already taken. Anyway thanks to all the cruisers on this forum who have provided a lot of valuable information about Viking Ocean cruises.

the explanation i got for the invoice is that the system requires you to book 2 for a viking ocean cruise. then when you change to 1 it adds and then reverses the single supplement. i sent my thoughts to TellUs@viking ************. i am satisfied with the explanation.

thanks for the suggestion. I know the end cost of my cruise is the same but the way the invoice was worded was very irritating for a single traveler. I have calmed down so I may still take a viking ocean cruise because of all the wonderful reviews from people. It is interesting that even this far in advance for the May 26 2019 Alaska Cruise the cabins I wanted on deck 5 were already taken. Anyway thanks to all the cruisers on this forum who have provided a lot of valuable information about Viking Ocean cruises.

We are booked for that cruise and did so several weeks ago and the only cabins available were deluxe and higher. I now note that even the deluxe are being sold out in some levels. It seems incredibly popular.

Thanks for the info. The 200% is pretty much a deal breaker right now. I need to convince one of my friends to try a new ship and cruise with me.

Do your salesmanship and you both will be rewarded with a Wonderful Cruise . In any case, cruise safe and have a Great Time !!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums