Many problems in the Caribbean BRING SHIPS TO WEST COAST

ILOVESHIPS

With so many problems in the Caribbean, WHY doesn't RCCL bring a ship to the West Coast.

Panama Canal, Coastal trips along the West Coast, Hawaii and Mexico.

Bring a ship to the West Coast.:)

Apparently they can make more profit at Galveston and New Orleans.

With so many problems in the Caribbean, WHY doesn't RCCL bring a ship to the West Coast.

California is very bad for businesses. Too many regulations!! Thanks, but no thanks.

Someone asked this during the Captain Q&A on Oasis last November - he said it was because they make way more money out of Florida, Galveston, etc. If they could make more money sailing from the west coast, they definitely would.

I am sure one of the big stumbling blocks for Royal to move a ship over to CA even for a few months is the CARB rules... California Air Resources Board. Briefly, a passenger ship may only call at a CA port 5 times before it has to go to cold iron while in port. Cold iron is shutting down the ship's engines and then powered by shore power. Even if they retrofit one particular ship to do cruises, they then would not be able to have any other ship in their fleet call at that port as all ships in their fleet would then have to go to cold iron. I have read where it runs about $4 million to equip a ship to meet CARB requirements.

I am sure one of the big stumbling blocks for Royal to move a ship over to CA even for a few months is the CARB rules... California Air Resources Board. Briefly, a passenger ship may only call at a CA port 5 times before it has to go to cold iron while in port. Cold iron is shutting down the ship's engines and then powered by shore power. Even if they retrofit one particular ship to do cruises, they then would not be able to have any other ship in their fleet call at that port as all ships in their fleet would then have to go to cold iron. I have read where it runs about $4 million to equip a ship to meet CARB requirements.

Not that $4 million isn't a lot of money, but that's basically 1-2 week's worth of fare for one non-Oasis ship. A drop in the bucket, so to speak. If there was money to be made, I expect they'd be doing it.

Not that $4 million isn't a lot of money, but that's basically 1-2 week's worth of fare for one non-Oasis ship. A drop in the bucket, so to speak. If there was money to be made, I expect they'd be doing it.

But is worth the money they could make? There are other considerations as well... in order for them to take advantage of a west coast port they would have to scrub a pile of already paid for sailings and all the refunds that go with that, not to mention all the unhappy cruisers that would result. Then consider that Royal has a number of too tall ships for the Panama Canal, the Canal would be the only logical way to get a ship over there in reasonably short order. They have a very limited number of prospective ships. Probably just better to play dodge the hurricane.

Isn't going to happen. Passengers already have air and hotel plans going out of Florida. It's expensive ship going threw Panama Canal, twice. Then most ships return to Europe in April anyway.

I agree with you..even though we are apparently always in minority on these boards....People get so hostile :eek: when we on the west coast ask for even one RCI ship to return to us again.

Yikes people...lighten up..and share with us again. If you don't want to come out here fine....there might be enough of us here already or many that would come.

NCL & PCL have no problems filling their ships that sail from here.

I agree with you..even though we are apparently always in minority on these boards....People get so hostile :eek: when we on the west coast ask for even one RCI ship to return to us again.

Yikes people...lighten up..and share with us again. If you don't want to come out here fine....there might be enough of us here already or many that would come.

It's not just about filling ships. It's about filling ships and maximizing profits.

I think by the psva regulation they cannot service the west coast. Foreign flag ships can only cruise to a "distant port" and only the Caribbean is designated as such.

Same rules on the west coast - if they are starting and returning to the same US port, then they just have to visit any foreign port. Monarch used to do LA, Catalina, Ensenada weekend cruises.

Don't get me wrong, I only live 90 min from San Francisco and would love to see more ships sailing from there. I envy the FL cruisers with so many options.

But, one PCL ship home ported in SF doesn't really count towards a major cruise market port.

Same rules on the west coast - if they are starting and returning to the same US port, then they just have to visit any foreign port. Monarch used to do LA, Catalina, Ensenada weekend cruises.

Bob here we tango again. I know when POA first came on the scene RC argued that Ensenada is a distant port. What happen to this and am I right in saying they are not doing the Seattle Hawaii Ensenada cruise anymore.

I think that was Viking Serenade..in the early 90s.....Monarch only hit Catalina on a 4 day....the weekends lost Catalina, gambling became more import on those getaways.

I think by the psva regulation they cannot service the west coast. Foreign flag ships can only cruise to a "distant port" and only the Caribbean is designated as such.

Not "distant", just "foreign", I think. Other lines service the west coast just fine. ☺ Mexico and Canada serve the part just fine.

Here is the legal definition of distant and nearby foreign port... for a round trip cruise (closed loop) the ship only needs to visit a nearby foreign port. To transport passengers between two US ports a ship needs to visit a distant foreign port.

(2)Nearby foreign port means any foreign port in North America, Central America, the Bermuda Islands, or the West Indies (including the Bahama Islands, but not including the Leeward Islands of the Netherlands Antilles, i.e., Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao). A port in the U.S. Virgin Islands shall be treated as a nearby foreign port.

(3)Distant foreign port means any foreign port that is not a nearby port.

Bob here we tango again. I know when POA first came on the scene RC argued that Ensenada is a distant port. What happen to this and am I right in saying they are not doing the Seattle Hawaii Ensenada cruise anymore.

If the cruise was going from LA to Hawaii (two different US ports), then they would have to visit a distant foreign port. But, as long as the cruise is starting and ending at the same US port, then they are only required to visit any foreign port.

I don't know which cruise line it was, but to avoid that distant foreign port rule on the one-way cruise from LA to Hawaii, they would bus the passengers from LA to Ensenada and embark the passengers there.