BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:09 AM.
115 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Been looking at different reviews to see if we want to do the Escape next - one of the best reviews I've seen in a while!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2006 RCCL Mariner Of The Seas
2003 Carnival Paradise
8 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Doug, Let me just say thanks for this hall of fame review. Cruising was very much a bitter sweet thing for us. My Mom & stepdad went on about 25 cruises during their 35 yrs together. We lost my stepdad in the summer of 2012. The next March my mom wanted to introduce our entire family to their passion. So a group of 11 of us did a 7 day on Carnival Freedom western route. While we had a great time, it just didn't feel like our thing. Sadly we lost Mom in Sept of 2014. She was a cruise critic junkie, took me a while to come back to these boards and lurk around.

Stumbled on your review around Christmas of 16 and was hooked, I probably read it 2 or 3 times, insisted my wife read it and then my brother. Wife read through it and was just amazed in the different experience "wandering" around the ship vicariously through your report.

After debating and planning we found that the May 6-13 Escape would be our family adventure this year. While originally my brother and his family were gonna come along some scheduling and financial conflicts happened and they were unable to join us. It ended up being just me and the wife and our 17 & 7 yr old girls. Although the weather in St. Thomas & Tortola didn't turn out all that well, it was indeed an amazing trip that will never be forgotten. Was able to catch a few sunrises & sunsets from our balcony, just me enjoying the serenity of the open ocean and really feeling my mom their with me.

Sorry for this lengthy post, I left you a beer sitting on the counter at "home" a couple of nights. Thanks again, It turns out Cruising IS our thing as well. Booked the Escape again for spring break next year!
Rochester, NY
3,844 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
Originally posted by jcombs003
Thanks again, It turns out Cruising IS our thing as well. Booked the Escape again for spring break next year!
Wow - thank you so much for sharing your story. I've always been an emotional creature, savoring those moments when you feel the most alive; when you can appreciate all that has come before, and all that will follow once you're gone. Those moments you had on the balcony... so full of "life".

Sorry for this lengthy post, I left you a beer sitting on the counter at "home" a couple of nights.
I'm returning to the escape in 66 days, and fully intend to return the favor.
Ontario, Canada
415 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
I read this review a while back and loved it! I just read it again since I'll be on the Escape on July 29. Doing so got me even more excited for my cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Norwegian Escape July 29 2017

Norwegian Getaway May 2016
Carnival Breeze April 2015
Carnival Splendor July 2014
Ohio
125 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Doug, will you be live reviewing again? I just found this thread a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed your writing style. I'll be on my first "escape" in September for a solo birthday cruise and would love to hear your adventures before I embark

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Rochester, NY
3,844 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
Originally posted by CruizinCutieJulia
Doug, will you be live reviewing again?
I honestly haven't decided yet, as my upcoming cruise is a merged repeat of my two prior threads. It's the Escape ship on the Western Caribbean itinerary, which I covered on "Dawn - Live 11/27".

I'll probably fire up a thread if I feel there's something new to share. But if I get the sense that I'll just be going through the motions, I'll hold off for something new. And there's quite a bit of "new" on my horizon... Harmony of the Seas (my first RC), Bliss inaugural, Bliss Mexican Riviera, Celebrity Edge (suite life!), Symphony of the Seas... and maybe an MSC Seaside and Virgin Voyages mixed in.

Enjoy your solo September cruise! I'd love to try out the studio experience, but a certain significant other has made it clear that I'll never cruise alone.
867 Posts
Joined Aug 2003
Truly heartwarming ....glad you shared!

Doug, Let me just say thanks for this hall of fame review. Cruising was very much a bitter sweet thing for us. My Mom & stepdad went on about 25 cruises during their 35 yrs together. We lost my stepdad in the summer of 2012. The next March my mom wanted to introduce our entire family to their passion. So a group of 11 of us did a 7 day on Carnival Freedom western route. While we had a great time, it just didn't feel like our thing. Sadly we lost Mom in Sept of 2014. She was a cruise critic junkie, took me a while to come back to these boards and lurk around.

Stumbled on your review around Christmas of 16 and was hooked, I probably read it 2 or 3 times, insisted my wife read it and then my brother. Wife read through it and was just amazed in the different experience "wandering" around the ship vicariously through your report.

After debating and planning we found that the May 6-13 Escape would be our family adventure this year. While originally my brother and his family were gonna come along some scheduling and financial conflicts happened and they were unable to join us. It ended up being just me and the wife and our 17 & 7 yr old girls. Although the weather in St. Thomas & Tortola didn't turn out all that well, it was indeed an amazing trip that will never be forgotten. Was able to catch a few sunrises & sunsets from our balcony, just me enjoying the serenity of the open ocean and really feeling my mom their with me.

Sorry for this lengthy post, I left you a beer sitting on the counter at "home" a couple of nights. Thanks again, It turns out Cruising IS our thing as well. Booked the Escape again for spring break next year!
121 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Read about your thread on another one so I had to come find it. Just booked for August Western Itinerary. Thanks for all of the pictures and the time you took to post!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Donna

Kentucky
100 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
I'm waaaay late to the party, but very much enjoyed it anyways. Thanks for the awesome reporting. Hubby and I will be Escaping in December, looking forward to paying tribute to you once we get "home".

Oh and I notice that you said Harmony is in your future, if it's in March of next year I'll be looking for you
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next Up: NCL Escape 12/17 and then the MSC SeaSide 12/18

Carnival Sunshine 2016
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Ecstasy 1998
Lancaster County, PA
184 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
following
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1970- Fort Lauderdale to Bahamas
2002- 11/18/02 Carnival Fasination- Miami, Key West, Cozumel
2006- 5/20/06 Royal Caribbean Empress of the Sea Phila-Bermuda
2009- 9/10/09 Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the sea Baltimore- Portland, ME. Bar Harbor, ME. St. John, Bay of Fundy, Nova Scotia, Boston
2010- 11/08/10 Celebrity Mercury Baltimore, St. John, St. Kitts, St Croix, St. Martin
2011- 9/18/11 Carnival Pride Baltimore- Bermuda
2011- 11/26/11 NCL Jewel New York, Florida, Bahamas
2012- 7/06/12 Celebrity Millennium Seward Alaska
2012- 11/14/12 Carnival Miracle New York, Florida, Nassau, Freeport
2013- 10/16/13 Carnival Splendor New York, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau
2014- 6/29/14 NCL Breakaway New York, Bermuda
2015- 2/16/15 NCL Sky Miami,Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas
2015- 6/29/15 Carnival Splendor New York, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau
2016- 5/16/16 Carnival Fantasy Miami, Key West
2016- 10/01/16 Carnival Sunshine New York, Bermuda
2017-09/10/17 NCL Breakaway New York to Bermuda
Twin Cities, MN
115 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
Originally posted by TheDougOut
My phone is honestly showing 4:38pm right now. I have to stop and think each time I post a time. I wouldn't be surprised if I accidentally travel back in time at some point tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Try sailing in March...where you are set to arrive back in Miami on the morning after spring forward when you go to sleep & you are something like two time zones over...and you were unsure of exactly which time zone you are in when looking at any clock on the ship...disembarkation time was REALLY confusing!! I think we spent 2 or 3 hours thinking about it after a sea day spent drinking...good times!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CRUISED IT...LOVED IT!!

NCL Sky - March 28, 2016 - Inside Cabin - 10134
NCL Getaway - March 5, 2016 - H5 Haven - 15120