Transplant

Nancy717

My daughter had a kidney transplant last week, we are planning a "celebration" cruise on Celebrity in Aug 2018, we have been given the OK by doctors as long as she continues to do well.

They have suggested avoiding large , close crowds,

Is it possible to request skipping the large muster drill where so many people are jammed together and do it privately ?

My daughter had a kidney transplant last week, we are planning a "celebration" cruise on Celebrity in Aug 2018, we have been given the OK by doctors as long as she continues to do well.

Is it possible to request skipping the large muster drill where so many people are jammed together and do it privately ?

You can contact the special needs department and request the special needs muster station. This is for those with mobility issues, etc, and typically one companion will be allowed with the special needs person.

You can contact the special needs department and request the special needs muster station. This is for those with mobility issues, etc, and typically one companion will be allowed with the special needs person.

Thank you

You may (and probably can) avoid the muster crowd but what are you going to do about EVERYTHING ELSE on the ship. Dinner, shows, elevators, buffet lines, tours on crowded buses. You will have crowds everywhere. I think the muster is the least of your concerns.

You have an entire year to get the meds right..she should be just fine by then...what a lucky girl. My husband has been on the list for 2+ years.....

Having a transplant is so you can LIVE your life...and she should! Have fun!!!

You have an entire year to get the meds right..she should be just fine by then...what a lucky girl. My husband has been on the list for 2+ years.....

Having a transplant is so you can LIVE your life...and she should! Have fun!!!

We spoke with the transplant team at Johns Hopkins and they have given us the green light as long as she continues to do well.

They are aware of all the issues related to a cruise ship, and have made a few suggestions to limit exposure, the muster drill being one.

She will not eat from the buffet and we will do private tours with just our family.

Hello

I would definitely take out travel insurance and it covers if u are unable to take the cruise.

Coming from a person who has had a kidney transplant for 30 years. Regardless were you go use sun screen and hat to avoid sun burn even when it is cloudy outside.

Also I suggest packing meds in a carry on with the prescription bottles to avoid delays at airport security.

PM me if you have any other questions

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My husband received a kidney transplant 13 years ago. I always travel with at least an extra WEEK of medication in case of any unexpected delays in return back to port. Heaven forbid being delayed without his anti rejection meds. The ship could probably handle insulin needs but anti rejection, I doubt. Enjoy and congratulations on your daughter's new life. Donation is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

My husband received a kidney transplant 13 years ago. I always travel with at least an extra WEEK of medication in case of any unexpected delays in return back to port. Heaven forbid being delayed without his anti rejection meds. The ship could probably handle insulin needs but anti rejection, I doubt. Enjoy and congratulations on your daughter's new life. Donation is important.

That is what my wife does as well it is interesting that we both do the same thing

Continued health for the OP and all those who received an organ transplant and those still on the list

• 4 weeks later...

My daughter had a kidney transplant in 2006 when she was 21. We've been on several cruises since then ans she's done just fine. We do the muster drill inside. Just check in with the person with "the clipboard" outside, then go back in and find a seat. She's never caught anything or been sick on a cruise. We do avoid areas of a lot of congestion or anyone who might be coughing, etc. And she never touches the utensils at the buffet. She tells me what she wants and I make her plate. We love to cruise and as long as she's able to go, and her Dr. says it's ok, we'll cruise! :D

Hooray for you and your daughter! My husband was on dialysis for 4 1/2 years, and we continued to cruise because we love it! Advance planning and good choices made it work and so worthwhile. It’s all about quality of life. [emoji106]

Hooray for you and your daughter! My husband was on dialysis for 4 1/2 years, and we continued to cruise because we love it! Advance planning and good choices made it work and so worthwhile. It’s all about quality of life. [emoji106]

Thank you! My daughter was on dialysis for 2 years. We were blessed when they found a kidney donor for her. :hearteyes:

I’m so glad a donor was found for your daughter! Jack was never a candidate for kidney transplant because he had prostate cancer 5 years before diagnosis of kidney failure. Any previous cancer, other than skin, means you can’t be on the list where we live.

Go for it! My husband had a kidney transplant almost 5 years ago. We went for a cruise 14 months after his transplant. We asked about the handicapped muster station. Once we located that, I went to our regular muster station with our cruise cards, told the cruise member we would be at the handicapped muster station. He scanned our cards and I then remet my husband at the handicapped muster location. I would also recommend stay away from the buffets -- our doctor told us that when we cruised. Stick to the dining rooms or room service. We've been on 5 cruises in 5 years and have never had an issue. I hope your cruise does well and your daughter enjoys it!

My dad's entire career was spent in organ transplantation - he ran the lab that did the donor/recipient matching (among many other things!) for a large organ procurement organization in the Southeast for many years. I am so proud of the work he and his team did to bring second chances to so many people. It makes me very happy to read posts from people talking about their transplants, and the fun things they are able to enjoy. To the OP - have a wonderful time!

• 1 year later...

My husband is post kidney transport 1.5 years.  Should we worry about the drinking water on the cruise?  Its used in most drink plus washing produce!!  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 hour ago, kabelgal said:

My husband is post kidney transport 1.5 years.  Should we worry about the drinking water on the cruise?  Its used in most drink plus washing produce!!  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What are you concerned about with regards to the water?  Sanitation?  Sodium?  Minerals?

I am worried about the sanitation of the water.  Because my husband is on immune suppressants, I am concerned with him getting sick.

Ship's water is probably better sanitized than nearly all municipal water supplies.  The water comes from three sources:  sea water distilled in a flash evaporator, sea water processed in a reverse osmosis watermaker, and from municipalities when the ship needs additional water, typically at turn-around ports.  Water taken from shore must have a certificate that at the specific hydrant being used, not the general municipal sanitation report, meets EPA requirements for drinking water, and must have been tested, at the hydrant, within the last month.  All water taken on in port is chlorinated before it enters the ship's storage tanks, and this water must be kept segregated and not used until a coliform bacteria test comes back negative, which takes 18-24 hours.  All water produced onboard is also chlorinated before it goes into the storage tanks.  So far, much like a municipal water supply that chlorinates water at the source.  Now, ship's water, unlike municipal, is constantly circulating.  Municipal water is pumped out and sits in the underground pipes until someone opens a tap and uses water.  While sitting in the pipes, the chlorine will dissipate, which is why there is almost never any residual chlorine in municipal water when it comes out of your tap.  Because ship's water is constantly circulated, from the storage tanks around the ship and back to the storage tanks, with your tap taking what it needs from this constantly flowing water supply, the water can be continuously monitored, and must exhibit a residual chlorine level of 0.5ppm at the farthest point on the ship, and this monitor will control chlorine dosing equipment so that the level of chlorine in the water is constantly adjusted to meet the required level.

So, unless your husband has a concern about chlorine in the water, the water is kept far more sanitized than most US municipal water supplies.  This residual chlorine can result in unpleasant taste for some, so if it does, you can either remove it by filling a pitcher in your sink and letting it stand open for a couple of hours to let the chlorine dissipate naturally, or you can get water from one of the dining venues, bars, or beverage stations, as the water from all of these machines is filtered by a carbon filter to remove the chlorine.

Additionally, the water is tested monthly from each storage tank, and from 6 random locations around the ship for coliform bacteria.

Cruise ship sanitation, for ships calling at US ports, is regulated by the USPH, which has a ship sanitation program that covers nearly every aspect of ship operation and life:  food safety, water, pools, ventilation, lighting, laundry, medical center, hazardous chemicals, pest control, etc, etc.

• Like 4

chengkp75,

Thank you for all the information!  I really appreciate it! You really have alot of knowledge about this.  I just want to keep my husband safe!  

One last question I have, do they have the same standard on Royal Caribbean European cruises?  (Italy and Greece)

chengkp75,

Thank you for all the information!  I really appreciate it! You really have alot of knowledge about this.  I just want to keep my husband safe!  

One last question I have, do they have the same standard on Royal Caribbean European cruises?  (Italy and Greece)

The EU has their "ShipSan" shipboard sanitation protocols which are very close to the USPH requirements.  Also, since many ships rotate back and forth between Europe and the US (Caribbean) with the seasons, the ships will adhere to USPH protocols year round anyway to keep the training consistent.

I've been a ship's engineering officer for 44 years, over 30 of them as Chief Engineer, on most types of ocean-going ships afloat, including time on cruise ships with NCL.

The ship sanitation programs involve many things that most cruisers have no idea about, like taking all the shower heads off and sanitizing these in bleach every 6 months to eliminate any possible legionella bacteria that can grow in the shower head.

Keep your man safe, and have a great cruise.

• Like 4

You have put my mind at rest and I really appreciate it.  I didn't have any idea about how it all worked, thats why I asked the question.  Yes, our ship does go between the Caribbean and Europe.  I appreciate you educating me on the subject!    Thank you very much!  I hope you have a wonderful day!

• 2 months later...
On 5/6/2019 at 3:18 PM, kabelgal said:

You have put my mind at rest and I really appreciate it.  I didn't have any idea about how it all worked, thats why I asked the question.  Yes, our ship does go between the Caribbean and Europe.  I appreciate you educating me on the subject!    Thank you very much!  I hope you have a wonderful day!

Im just getting to know him, he’s indeed a good source.  As a camper, at one time wilderness camping, I own a steri pen.  It works like the thing they call blue light for Wells.  So far I’ve not found a use for it, as the wilderness trips were on water that was as safe as wells!   I’ve carried it along on shore excursions thinking I might need it, too.  Normally I just bring a water bottle filled on the ship.  I suspect the ship water is better treated than the steri pen does!