Viking Kara Amsterdam to Basel - Embark time?, et al

sunfan03

First time river cruising and embarking in Amsterdam.

I'm familiar with ocean cruises, but what time do you recommend showing up at the Amsterdam port to board the ship? How early before they let us on board? If you have specifics for Viking Kara, that would be excellent ;)

We're arriving a few days pre-cruise to do sight-seeing and staying a few days post-cruise in Basel, so if you have any suggestions on things to see, I'd love the advice as well.

From what I've heard, I should be able to get by with my English in Amsterdam and Basel without too much trouble, right?

Thanks in advance!

A few weeks before departure you will receive a little book from Viking with all the details of your trip, including your air itinerary (if you have air through Viking), your cabin information, boarding information, where the ship will be docked, excursions, and so on. It's very nicely done. Generally speaking, getting on around 11:00am is well received as the staff is more prepared. Although it is possible your room may not be ready until the afternoon, ours has been ready when we board at 11:00am. You can, of course, head over earlier and the staff will take your bags and allow you on the ship, you can use the public rooms if the cabin is not ready, or go back into town. The first day, the ship will lay out a luncheon of more casual fare, and offer a brief walking tour in the embarkation port.

First time river cruising and embarking in Amsterdam.

I'm familiar with ocean cruises, but what time do you recommend showing up at the Amsterdam port to board the ship? How early before they let us on board? If you have specifics for Viking Kara, that would be excellent ;)

We're arriving a few days pre-cruise to do sight-seeing and staying a few days post-cruise in Basel, so if you have any suggestions on things to see, I'd love the advice as well.

From what I've heard, I should be able to get by with my English in Amsterdam and Basel without too much trouble, right?

Thanks in advance!

We did this last September and it was wonderful!

First, I can tell you that river cruising is completely different from ocean cruising. About the only thing they have in common is that there is a ship and water. [emoji12]. We were on the Mani but Viking pretty much runs all their Longships the same way, and they look pretty much the same way.

And yes, you will be fine with English in Amsterdam. We had no issues. Do be careful of the bicycles. This can NOT be emphasized enough. They are crazy. Worse than NY cabbies!

There are several docking places in Amsterdam and it’s up to the Port which one your ship will be at. In the book that Viking sent, you will find an email and a phone number for your ship. The evening before, or the morning of your cruise, you will be able to contact them to find out where your ship will be docked. You can also get the Port of Amsterdam app and it will even give you a map. We just showed that information to our taxi driver and he knew just where to go. Most frequently the ship will be docked near the Central Train Station, but not always.

We took our time the morning of the cruise, and I think we checked out of our hotel around 11:30am and took a taxi to the ship.

Viking had been picking people up from the airport for several hours before. Unlike ocean ships, they don’t have to clear the ship first. Often arriving guests are mingling with departing guests at the same time.

There will be a lot of ships docked when you arrive. You will see Viking’s red tents set up at the entrance. The staff will all be wearing red shirts. You can’t miss them! Several came running up to us and asked which ship we were on. Turned out they were from a different Viking ship, but they waved the ones from the Mani over.

We were quickly surrounded by helpful Viking staff. They took our luggage and whisked us off to our ship.

Your room won’t be ready but they will hold all your luggage until it is. Once on board, you step up to the reception desk and give them your passport to check in and you’re done. They will invite you to have lunch on the Aquavit Terrace. You can sign up for a walking tour, but if you have been in Amsterdam for a few days like we were, you probably don’t need it.

There will be no photographers in your face, but if you take out a camera or your phone, one of the staff will take your photo for you.

We ate lunch, then took a walk over to the Maritime Museum - which wasn’t far away. You are free to come and go basically until the ship sails. You should, however, attend the Daily Briefing in the lounge about 6:30pm each night.

Do be aware that if you get a drink before dinner that’s not included in the free wine and beer unless you get the Silver Spirits package. We didn’t. You can bring whatever wine, beer, liquor or soda you want on board. No restrictions. No corkage fees.

Your room should be ready around 2:00pm. They will tell you when you board. You can pick up your key from reception when the room is ready. We just stopped by when we came back from the museum. Your luggage will be waiting in the room.

Our steward introduced himself and showed us where everything was and how things worked. He had left a Viking Daily with the rest of the days activities listed. There is fresh water left daily and ice is available from a dispenser in the hall.

As I mentioned, there is a Daily Briefing in the lounge and they ask that at least one in your party attend. Mostly they go over the next days itinerary and happenings. Things like schedules change frequently on the river so docking schedules change - arrivals and sailing times, where the ship will dock, etc. They cover tours and whether there will be shuttles needed. Lots of nitty gritty. Most will be in your Viking Daily, but as I mentioned things change. On the river you literally have to “go with the flow. [emoji13]

After the briefing, everyone heads down to the restaurant for dinner - usually at 7pm. There is only 1 sitting and it’s open. You can sit wherever you like and with whoever you wish. There are no tables for 2. We found wait staff we liked and generally just found a table in their section. We were only 2 so we ended up sitting sometimes with different people and sometimes with the same. It’s very casual and informal. The food was always very good.

You can also eat on the Aquavit Terrace from a more limited menu, but we never did.

After dinner there is generally a trivia game, a piano player or local entertainment in the lounge. It changes from night to night and again, it’s rather informal.

The safety drill is held the next morning. I think we did it after the stop at Kinderdijk. Basically it consists of putting on your life jacket and going up to the top deck. The ship is higher than the river is deep. You go up to the top deck and wait for rescue [emoji41] Our hotel manager joked that we could meet him in the lounge one deck below and still have dry feet!

Breakfast and lunch are served both on the Aquavit Terrace and in the restaurant. The Aquavit Terrace has a limited buffet set up, while the restaurant has a broader selection and a menu you can order from. No room service. There is a wonderful coffee service set up near the lounge. There is a machine that makes coffee, cappuccino, latte, macchiato and hot chocolate. It also dispenses hot water for tea. Another dispenser has both still and sparkling water. All 24/7.

In the morning there are muffins and pastries. In the afternoon, you will find THE most scrumptious cookies. They are so good! Do not miss these cookies!

When you go out on your daily excursions, there will be someone handing out bottled water at the doors to take with you. There are also umbrellas should you need them. They are big, so you might want to bring a small one or a rain poncho. We lucked out and had no rain except a brief sprinkle.

When you return they always have a drink or a snack, maybe a hot or cold towel to greet you.

They really do take care of you! If there is something you need or want they will do their best to help you out. My husband found the duvet on the bed too hot even with the A/C. We asked our steward for a top sheet (something they don’t seem to use in Europe) and it was there the next time we came back to the room.

As I said we loved our cruise so much! We have a Viking Ocean cruise booked for March and we are doing the Grand European from Budapest to Amsterdam next September.

If you have any other questions, ask away! I’ll be happy to help and I’m sure many others will help as well! Do enjoy your cruise and Bon Voyage!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just got back from an Amsterdam-Basel cruise on the Vidar. We arrived approx 6 am from ORD the morning of departure ( had to do this since our KLM flight the day before was cancelled) and got to the boat at approx 7:30am. We left our bags with the crew and had breakfast in the dining room. We were pleasantly surprised that our room was ready at 9:30. It was nice to unpack and take a shower.

You might be lucky and have the same experience.

We just got back from an Amsterdam-Basel cruise on the Vidar. We arrived approx 6 am from ORD the morning of departure ( had to do this since our KLM flight the day before was cancelled) and got to the boat at approx 7:30am. We left our bags with the crew and had breakfast in the dining room. We were pleasantly surprised that our room was ready at 9:30. It was nice to unpack and take a shower.

Wow that was lucky! I’d heard that Viking was at the airport to meet all the early morning arrivals. I know we were watching the buses arrive all during lunch. I had heard that arriving and departing guests are often mingling on change over day.

They are really so very accommodating in every way. Love Viking!

A few weeks before departure you will receive a little book from Viking with all the details of your trip, including your air itinerary (if you have air through Viking), your cabin information, boarding information, where the ship will be docked, excursions, and so on. It's very nicely done. Generally speaking, getting on around 11:00am is well received as the staff is more prepared. Although it is possible your room may not be ready until the afternoon, ours has been ready when we board at 11:00am. You can, of course, head over earlier and the staff will take your bags and allow you on the ship, you can use the public rooms if the cabin is not ready, or go back into town. The first day, the ship will lay out a luncheon of more casual fare, and offer a brief walking tour in the embarkation port.

Thanks Terry&Mike - We received the book, but I didn't see anything about boarding time, so 11 am - Noon sounds like a good time to try and board.

The evening before, or the morning of your cruise, you will be able to contact them to find out where your ship will be docked. You can also get the Port of Amsterdam app and it will even give you a map.

You can bring whatever wine, beer, liquor or soda you want on board. No restrictions. No corkage fees.

If you have any other questions, ask away! I’ll be happy to help and I’m sure many others will help as well! Do enjoy your cruise and Bon Voyage!

CyberKat! Wow! This is exactly what I needed to get excited about this cruise. I LOVE and APPRECIATE all the details - it totally helps! I've been a bit reluctant in trying to get organized (which is not normal for me), because of my language concerns ;) and the fact that it is so different from ocean cruises (with not as much cruisecritic reviews).

Thanks also for the tip about no corkage fees. Good to know in case we come across anything in Amsterdam.

Did you spend any time in Basel? I'm wondering if I can get by with English there too? This is my first time in Switzerland, so if you have suggestions on things to do - I'd love it!

Good to know for future trips Bobchico. With all of the additional expenses for pre and post cruise days, I may have to do this for the next time.

Did you spend any time in Basel? I'm wondering if I can get by with English there too? This is my first time in Switzerland, so if you have suggestions on things to do - I'd love it!

You will have no problem getting by in English in Basel.

CyberKat! Wow! This is exactly what I needed to get excited about this cruise. I LOVE and APPRECIATE all the details - it totally helps! I've been a bit reluctant in trying to get organized (which is not normal for me), because of my language concerns ;) and the fact that it is so different from ocean cruises (with not as much cruisecritic reviews).

Thanks also for the tip about no corkage fees. Good to know in case we come across anything in Amsterdam.

We did a post cruise extension in Lucerne and didn’t spend much time in Basel, but if it’s anything like Lucerne most everyone spoke English.

Thanks Terry&Mike - We received the book, but I didn't see anything about boarding time, so 11 am - Noon sounds like a good time to try and board.

Should be approximately on Page 6 of your book, under the heading Embarkation. You will see a paragraph with language along the lines of: You'll be able to access your stateroom at approximately 3:00pm, should you arrive before this, you can relax in the Lounge or leave your luggage with the staff an explore on your own. A light lunch buffet will be available in the Lounge around midday for early arriving guests.

Of course, depending on the length of your own personal Your Cruise Summary information and Your Journey information, it may fall just before or just after page 6 in your book.

Have an awesome time!!!

Hi there, just thought I would use this thread to ask a question, (love how helpful everyone is on this board!) We are booked on the April 1, 2018 AB cruise. I want to reserve a tour of the Anne Frank house and trying to figure out the best time to do it. We arrive in Amsterdam the night before...should I try and schedule it in the morning, before we head to the ship, or later in the afternoon?

Hi there, just thought I would use this thread to ask a question, (love how helpful everyone is on this board!) We are booked on the April 1, 2018 AB cruise. I want to reserve a tour of the Anne Frank house and trying to figure out the best time to do it. We arrive in Amsterdam the night before...should I try and schedule it in the morning, before we head to the ship, or later in the afternoon?

I'm sure others will chime in, but a couple of things to keep in mind - and you're doing AWESOME in planning ahead by the way.

- Tickets can be booked up to 2 months before

- If you waited last minute (like me), tickets for the intro program + entrance are available within 2 weeks or so - THANK GOODNESS!

- Time difference between here and Amsterdam and jet lag

That being said, if you aren't effected too much by jet lag, I would book for the afternoon. If you want transition/sleep time, there is plenty of time in the morning to visit the house before the boat leaves.

Do be careful of the bicycles. This can NOT be emphasized enough. They are crazy. Worse than NY cabbies!

In fairness, I think the issue with the bikes is more our fault than theirs. There are generally bike lanes, but to us Americans not paying much attention they seem like part of the sidewalk, so we stand in them or walk into them without looking. We just aren't used to bikes flying around everywhere.

Our recent experience was that we had no trouble with English in Amsterdam, Basel (though we only spoke to the our cabbie there), or any of the other stops we made on the Rhine cruise. If it's a touristy area in Europe, I think you can feel pretty confident they'll speak English. Perhaps in non-touristy areas too for all I know, but I wasn't in non-touristy areas.

We did a post-cruise day in Lucerne on our own and it really worked out great. We did it all only speaking English. Cab to Basel train station, train ticket machine in English and took American credit card without issue, train to Lucerne (Luzern), tourist information in Lucerne train station sold us tickets to the Golden Round Trip. Then dropped off our bags at our hotel across the street.

Golden Round Trip is a combination ticket to take you to the top of nearby Mt. Pilatus. It's a highly developed tourist attraction with hotels and restaurants up there, and a fantastic view in all directions. We took a short local bus ride (don't worry, tourist info desk will tell you how to do it) to the bottom of the gondola, rode the gondolas to the top, took tons of pictures (we lucked out and had great weather for October), then went down the other side of the mountain on the worlds steepest cog railway to Alpnachstad, then took a delightful scenic boat cruise across Lake Lucerne back to Lucerne. Or you can go in the reverse order, with the boat trip first. It was about $100 for everything, but well worth it.

Then we just stayed in a hotel next to the train station ( we stayed at the Hotel Waldstaetterhof, which was very nice, but there are other hotels within walking distance), had time to walk around and see some of beautiful Lucerne, and had dinner. The next morning (Sunday), we got up early and took a 6 am train to Zurich (1 hour) for our flight home. We had to switch trains in the main Zurich station, but other trains were direct. Either way, it was easy and everyone spoke English. The trains there are famously reliable, so we weren't worried about staying an hour by train away from the airport. But if you were, you could take a train to Zurich the evening before, at the end of your day in Lucerne.

Of course, Switzerland is a pricey place. Our hotel was around $250, which isn't cheap but for a tourist destination is hardly outrageous. You'd pay more for a hotel of that quality in most US cities. The trains were $35-$40 for each trip. All in all, it's still well cheaper than the Viking add-on excursion. And when are you ever going to be in Switzerland again? You can't just fly home without seeing some of it. And the whole thing was easy. Don't worry about doing it on your own. I'm normally a chicken about such things, but it turns out there was nothing to it.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

We did a post-cruise day in Lucerne on our own and it really worked out great. We did it all only speaking English.

And when are you ever going to be in Switzerland again? You can't just fly home without seeing some of it. And the whole thing was easy. Don't worry about doing it on your own. I'm normally a chicken about such things, but it turns out there was nothing to it.

Thanks EarthwormJim! I've been contemplating Lucerne, but was concerned about language, distance and cost. You've given me some things to think about. I'm wondering if the weather in November might not be as nice (e.g. too rainy). I'd rather not go to Lucerne (it would have to be a day trip as we're departing from Basel) and miss out on the view because of inclement weather.

We'll play it by ear I guess.

Oh and when you used your credit card at the train station...did you need a pin? We're planning on it, but just wanted to know for sure.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!