Carnival Imagination with 3.5 year old?

yeggirl

Hi!

Have you (or would you) cruised with a pre-schooler?

I know all kids are different but if anyone can shed light on the experience I'd be ever so thankful!

The pre-schooler in question is a great traveller (although isn't big on sand, prefers pool/spray park type water play). It would be just the two of us on a 4 nighter as Dad is not a cruiser. I've cruised Celebrity and Holland America... I'm wondering if Carnival is OK for little ones (too much partying?)? I've read old threads/reviews but any updated advice would be much appreciated!

Thx & Happy Cruising :cool:

We cruised with our son as a preschooler. He is 14 now and gold. He loved cruising back when he was smaller and still enjoys it today. We took him to camp carnival or camp ocean as it is now called and he insisted on going each night to where I would leave dinner to drop him off and return back to dinner. He didn’t go much during the day but in evenings and for night owls he would not hear of not going. He stopped going when he turned 12 and was in a different group. He enjoyed the structure and games and activities of the younger group. The teen group was less structured as they could check themselves out. The teens seemed to want to walk around instead of staying in the club. My son is very independent too and outside of school, he is not with other people his age too much so he really enjoyed that part. Now he hangs out in the cabin, loves to watch the movies and stay in the pool. He likes the beach but not too much of it, a couple of hours works for him. We have two cruises this year he will go on but he enjoyed it from the start. My son is used to entertaining himself so sounds like yours is similar so he will fine. Just make sure to go to the meet and greet the first night to meet the counselors and he can see some of the other kids.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are going on the Imagination in 3 weeks! We are taking our boys. They are 6 and 4 and we plan on utilizing Camp Ocean. I think in your case, the Carnival Waterworks would be a great spot for the two of you to hang out. And when you want to have your alone time, you could also utilize Camp Ocean. I have heard that the 3 day weekend cruises that just go to Ensenada are much more of a party scene that the weekday 4 night cruises that also stop at Catalina.

I would think either way as far as partying goes most of that would be going on closer to the bars by the main pool. Carnival Waterworks area will probably be mostly kids/teens or adults who are not heavy drinkers. I am only guessing though, since I have not been on this ship yet. I'm guessing the big partiers would want to hang out closer to the bars and the music/entertainment.

I have heard that the 3 day weekend cruises that just go to Ensenada are much more of a party scene that the weekday 4 night cruises that also stop at Catalina.

Great info... we'll stick to the 4 day for sure! Have a wonderful time and please let us know how it goes :)

I have been on the 4-day Inspiration cruise to Catalina and Ensenada. Although I did not travel with a pre-school child (and did not see many of them on board), I think it would be perfectly fine. I did not get a “booze cruise” vibe at all during this cruise.

I would recommend staying on board during the stop in Ensenada. There’s nothing there for a toddler and it will give you a chance to enjoy a quiet ship for a few hours.

I was there during spring break a few years ago, with hubby, and two small kids, same cruise, camp carnival was great, don't forget to sign up ahead when you doing the check in online. We left them on the cruise while we went on the tour, if I'm remembered correctly, you may need to fill out some form, if you allow your kids to eat lunch while you away, the people at the camp will take them to eat, also other activities that you allow your kids to join. We came back one day, the kids wasn't at the camp, we went to check at the lido, they were having lunch with other friends. Very nice staff. You won't feel it's a party cruise. Everyone we meet was very nice. The only thing that make us worry is we were put on the same table with two other couple, no kids. They were nice to us as well, but I'm too worry that my kids may not behave that well. We did ate dinner at lido deck one night to see the show, and it was very relaxing. If you refer MDR for your dinner, you may ask the maitre for a table for two. I just emailed a table for 8, and another table for 7. She responded with in a day.

We took our three year old daughter on a cruise in November of last year (also when she was 14 months old). She did pretty well. On cruises we always have late dinner and we didn't change that this time. She adjusted to the later dinner and bed times by the second night or so. We would usually get her something from room service to tide her over until dinner (PB&J sandwich or something like that). At dinner, we would have a fruit plate brought out for her as an appetizer. Kept her busy and snacking while we worked through salad and apps.

She loved the splash park, wasn't so keen on the pool. Not sure if it was because it was crowded and busy (maybe overwhelming??) or because of the salt water. She also enjoyed the Seuss at Sea breakfast and meeting all the Seuss characters. She went to kids camp two or three times and seemed to enjoy herself. We didn't get to take her until like the next to last day because of being busy in port at the beginning.

We still used her umbrella stroller esp. around the ship. After dinner she would crawl in and fall right to sleep. We would wander around the ship and stop in the bars for drinks with her conked right out in the stroller. LOL Even went to shows with her napping in there. Also the iPad was a lifesaver for the cabin. We downloaded a bunch of movies and games to keep her entertained while hanging out in the cabin.

And the staff is great with kiddos!

THANKS everyone!!! I've noted the Maitre D info :)

I'm just looking for a fun vaykay for my little one... he looooved LegoLand last year but Maui was a bit of a bust for him this year... thinking cruise activities might be more his thing :)

I have been on the 4-day Inspiration cruise to Catalina and Ensenada. Although I did not travel with a pre-school child (and did not see many of them on board), I think it would be perfectly fine. I did not get a “booze cruise” vibe at all during this cruise.

I would recommend staying on board during the stop in Ensenada. There’s nothing there for a toddler and it will give you a chance to enjoy a quiet ship for a few hours.

There’s a nice play area near the Big Flag in Ensenada. Leaving port, cross the black budge towards the Flag.

There is a children’s science museum at the entrance to the port. It’s the huge white building. Might be a bit old for your child but there’s enough for them to keep their interest. The museum is geared to upper elementary school. Lots of interactive exhibits.

We are going on the Imagination in 3 weeks! We are taking our boys. They are 6 and 4 and we plan on utilizing Camp Ocean. I think in your case, the Carnival Waterworks would be a great spot for the two of you to hang out. And when you want to have your alone time, you could also utilize Camp Ocean. I have heard that the 3 day weekend cruises that just go to Ensenada are much more of a party scene that the weekday 4 night cruises that also stop at Catalina.

I would think either way as far as partying goes most of that would be going on closer to the bars by the main pool. Carnival Waterworks area will probably be mostly kids/teens or adults who are not heavy drinkers. I am only guessing though, since I have not been on this ship yet. I'm guessing the big partiers would want to hang out closer to the bars and the music/entertainment.

Can you let me know how's the embark? Do you have FTTF, and are you going to be there by the asign time? Or can you come earlier? Thank you very much in advance

I've done this trip before the 2.0 upgrades. We felt like it was very much a booze cruise/party trip. The pool was always crowded with drinking revelers. Folks with kids will have more peace at Waterworks and if you can find a hot tub elsewhere on the ship.

We didn't take our kids on this trip, so I can't offer any context about the kids' clubs.

There will be more partying on a cruise that goes over the weekend imho than say midweek. Started cruising Carnival when my youngest was 2 and there is plenty to do. It’s easy enough to avoid the partying regardless. I would do a balcony so when the child crashes at night you have a place to relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My four year old is going on her seventh and my two year old fourth

If your child is used to travel then you’ll be great! Just take things into consideration to make your cruise easier. Grab boxes of cereal and milk when possible, things like that.

Partying wasn’t bad across ccl and rcl, never a situation where we felt we had to leave but we never lingered terribly late or in places they shouldn’t be.

Have a great time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you let me know how's the embark? Do you have FTTF, and are you going to be there by the asign time? Or can you come earlier? Thank you very much in advance

We do have FTTF and we plan on being at the cruise terminal sometime between 10:30-11.

There’s a nice play area near the Big Flag in Ensenada. Leaving port, cross the black budge towards the Flag.

There is a children’s science museum at the entrance to the port. It’s the huge white building. Might be a bit old for your child but there’s enough for them to keep their interest. The museum is geared to upper elementary school. Lots of interactive exhibits.

That's incredible! I didn't know this. A couple years ago when we did this cruise my daughter (then age 9) really didn't enjoy Ensenada. She has intense anxiety and just knowing we were out of the US freaked her out, then on top of that all the begging people in the downtown area upset her. We're doing the same itinerary next year and she asked to just stay on the ship this time. But I think she'd love this museum.